SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
[QUOTE=KiTCyclic;22119942]I actually seem to be plenty confident on the 450x, just thought I would try a 130x but never took it out of the

I think you got caught up in the hipe surrounding the 130X but, had no real need for it. I think it is best for peace of mind to get rid of it. If down the road you still want one you can get it at that time.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Amen brother, you hit the nail on the head. It happens to the best of us right?

[QUOTE=J_skaggs;22120038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
I actually seem to be plenty confident on the 450x, just thought I would try a 130x but never took it out of the

I think you got caught up in the hipe surrounding the 130X but, had no real need for it. I think it is best for peace of mind to get rid of it. If down the road you still want one you can get it at that time.
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Yes, it's large enough to run discrete electronics. And, it's considerably heavier with little to zero of the crash resistance of the 130 X. The Trex 250 is 330-400g, so 11.65 oz on the LIGHT 330g side. The "flying weight" (so, that must be with battery) listed by Horizon for the 130 X is 3.77 oz. Less than a third of a "light" Trex 250. Not even CLOSE. I don't even know why/how this is a comparison.
I agree.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Still having a blast with my little 130x. I'm starting to get inverted a little and I'm getting better and better at my flips and rolls. There's also a few of those poorly executed FFF barrel rolls I was talking about in here. I need lots more practice but once all my batteries get here that won't be a problem. I've got 13 on the way!

Watch in 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sKC...ature=youtu.be
Very nice flying, I hope I can get that good some day. Have you checked how much clearance you have between the umbrella gear and the elevator servo board? My 130 shot up about 20 or 30 ft after a stable 2-3 min hover. On it's way up the tail brushed leaves on a tree and I am assuming that stripped the gear leading to my crash landing. But after reading someone saying the gear on his rubbed the fet on the elevator servo causing a failure shooting the heli straight up uncontrolably like mine did, I checked my clearance and with a stripped gear its about the thickness of a piece of typing paper. Since yours is doing so well I was wondering if that is the same. BTW I am not a Blade basher, just somewat inexperienced.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog-Chief View Post
Very nice flying, I hope I can get that good some day. Have you checked how much clearance you have between the umbrella gear and the elevator servo board? My 130 shot up about 20 or 30 ft after a stable 2-3 min hover. On it's way up the tail brushed leaves on a tree and I am assuming that stripped the gear leading to my crash landing. But after reading someone saying the gear on his rubbed the fet on the elevator servo causing a failure shooting the heli straight up uncontrolably like mine did, I checked my clearance and with a stripped gear its about the thickness of a piece of typing paper. Since yours is doing so well I was wondering if that is the same. BTW I am not a Blade basher, just somewat inexperienced.
Thanks Chief! I'm starting to figure some things out and I'm having a blast doing it!

I'll have to check the things you mentioned. Since I've never had any issues I've just never really looked into things very much. I just check over the major things every few flights to make sure everything is nice and secure and off I go!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Chief! I'm starting to figure some things out and I'm having a blast doing it!

I'll have to check the things you mentioned. Since I've never had any issues I've just never really looked into things very much. I just check over the major things every few flights to make sure everything is nice and secure and off I go!
Yea that's what I try to do. I've been flying / hovering my other heli's mostly in the house I got this one for learning more outside for fff without having to worry about wind. My mcpx still makes me nervous in somewhat windy conditions and my SR is a little large for my comfort. I like the 120/130 size but the 120 doesn't handle much wind. Thanks for responding.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Are you going to call Horizon for a replacement servo? I'd be afraid of it just doing the same thing again to the new one, if it really rubbed to the point where the gear trashed the FET. Mine looks really, really close, but I'm not getting any dust or anything from the FET or gear. I can't fit a strip of standard printer paper in between the two, so it sounds like you have more than enough clearance. Wonder what caused yours to shoot up. Is the forward servo dead or acting funny on the bench when testing?
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Are you going to call Horizon for a replacement servo? I'd be afraid of it just doing the same thing again to the new one, if it really rubbed to the point where the gear trashed the FET. Mine looks really, really close, but I'm not getting any dust or anything from the FET or gear. I can't fit a strip of standard printer paper in between the two, so it sounds like you have more than enough clearance. Wonder what caused yours to shoot up. Is the forward servo dead or acting funny on the bench when testing?
it acted fine when I tested it before flying. There is gear dust on it but doesn't look like it actually rubbed. When I get the new gear and take it apart I will get a better look at it. If it looks like it rubbed and did any damage I will call. I blamed it on launching slowly from grass initially and my inexperience with high powered torque tube hellis until reading the rants and then looked at the clearance. I will test it again tomorrow.
Last edited by SeaDog-Chief; Jul 09, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
it acted fine when I tested it before flying. There is gear dust on it but doesn't look like it actually rubbed. When I get the new gear and take it apart I will get a better look at it. If it looks like it rubbed and did any damage I will call. I blamed it on launching slowly from grass initially and my inexperience with high powered torque tube hellis until reading the rants and then looked at the clearance.
Yeah, with a metal to plastic gear mesh there's going to be wear (i.e. dust), especially when they're breaking in to each other...and the plastic is going to "lose"/wear down... I had a little dust on the rear part of the frame where the metal (B) gear is, but nothing up front and definitely nothing on the forward servo board. I make a specific point to keep checking this, as I have the metal umbrella (A) gear upgrade coming in my first round of spare parts. If that rubbed, it would toast that FET mighty quickly!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Got my 130X today, put loctite on the spindle and tail collar, checked all the gears and screws on the heli and then flew. It flies amazing! It feels exactly like the 450X in the air. 2 flights on it now, I crashed once but just picked it back up and continued flying.
Dumb question... what spindle? The heli has several, right? This thread moves so fast I can't keep up...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Still having a blast with my little 130x. I'm starting to get inverted a little and I'm getting better and better at my flips and rolls. There's also a few of those poorly executed FFF barrel rolls I was talking about in here. I need lots more practice but once all my batteries get here that won't be a problem. I've got 13 on the way!
Nicely done

It is a fun little thing, I wish I had more batteries! The Beast battery didn't really work
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:39 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Dumb question... what spindle? The heli has several, right? This thread moves so fast I can't keep up...
The head spindle/feathering shaft.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Nicely done

It is a fun little thing, I wish I had more batteries! The Beast battery didn't really work
Thanks!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Nicely done

It's not really hard to order more. Get them (Hyperions) right here from RCBabbel. I received them in a couple of days. Great service.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
So far after approximately 50 flights: one broken main blade grip from being too liberal with the nut thus prevented the blade from folding on impact and two broken tail fins from crashing tail first. I'm still flying with the main tail gear which I though I'd stripped after the first crash.

The tail vibration on spooling up is still there but I'm pretty much ignoring it. Quick or snappy change in main rotor pitch will cause the main rotor to vibrate. I am unable to dial it out with gain adjustment. It does not happen on less aggressive flying. Same thing to the tail. Aggressive flying will cause it to vibrate. In tight and fast funnel, the tail buzzed quite a bit in trying to keep up with the main rotor. Way better with smoother funnel. These matters do not alarm me due to the fact this is a small heli, small components and less than perfect fitments of part. If I want smooth or no vibration, I fly my 50 and 90 sizes electric.

My vote - 5 stars for fun factor. 5 stars for fun factor ... did I just gave it 5 stars
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62