HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I can say that because I know value when I see it.........and it isn't there!

I'm glad you think its awesome "as long as it flies". I'm not that easily impressed unfortunately.

I can get an Align 250 Pro DFC(flybarless) combo for $285. Yes, you have to build it, but it's just simple assembly with an allen driver. Well worth it to get Align quality IMHO.
Does that $285 include an Rx and battery? From the sound of it, it wouldn't matter to you... but for the purposes of discussion let's compare apples and apples.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Blade doesn't have a great reputation
That is not the type of statement which could ever be factual in nature - it's an opinion, and I disagree with it. Yeah they have some problems, but Blade helis must be doing something right because they can't even keep these things on the shelves. Companies with bad reputations don't have that problem. You personally might think they suck, but when you talk about reputation, you have to look at what the market is doing, and the market is eating these up.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Does that $285 include an Rx and battery? From the sound of it, it wouldn't matter to you... but for the purposes of discussion let's compare apples and apples.
And, the ESC and servos may very possibly have to go, as well. Align isn't known for their stock electronics.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Glad you're enjoying it Joel. I've really been having a blast with mine so far! Yesterday I did my first real inverted flying and it was awesome! I also got in some basic rolls while in FFF. I still need to work on my collective management as I need to time my neutral pitch a little better to keep her tracking straight but the fact that I could even get close to pulling one of these off put a big grin on my face!
Turnerm,

I watched your 130X videos last night. Nice flying! Did you get the inverted flying & FFF rolls on video? If so, I must have missed that clip. I have yet to try any aerobatics with the 130, but I'm getting comfortable enough with the bird to try a few flips, axial rolls, and loops. At a gusty 19 MPH, I think the wind is a bit stiff for that today, but tomorrow's looking good!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

I watched your 130X videos last night. Nice flying! Did you get the inverted flying & FFF rolls on video? If so, I must have missed that clip. I have yet to try any aerobatics with the 130, but I'm getting comfortable enough with the bird to try a few flips, axial rolls, and loops. At a gusty 19 MPH, I think the wind is a bit stiff for that today, but tomorrow's looking good!

Joel
Nah - haven't gotten those on video yet. I did it for the first time yesterday and I didn't video it. If I get to fly tonight after work I'll get some video of it though!

The FFF rolls can be scary when you gon't get your collective neutralize in time!! That bad boy will shoot off to the side in a HURRY!!! I can do it on the sim quite well but I'm flying with a 700 sized heli on there and it's a little more forgiving of my dumb thumbs!

I love this heli though - it's like the Beast of little Helis. Very confidence inspiring and will certainly push me towards building a nice 550 (or bigger) heli I think!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Got my 130X today, put loctite on the spindle and tail collar, checked all the gears and screws on the heli and then flew. It flies amazing! It feels exactly like the 450X in the air. 2 flights on it now, I crashed once but just picked it back up and continued flying.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
The FFF rolls can be scary when you gon't get your collective neutralize in time!! That bad boy will shoot off to the side in a HURRY!!!
I know it's not the right way to do rolls, but I find it pretty easy to get it (A heli, not this heli in my experience ) going in FFF, pull the nose up just a *tad*, go to zero pitch as you apply full aileron one way or the other and hold on until it goes all the way around, then bring pitch back in. You will lose a bit of airspeed, obviously, since the nose was pulled up on entry. Oh well, they look pretty axial and good to me.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
I know it's not the right way to do rolls, but I find it pretty easy to get it (A heli, not this heli in my experience ) going in FFF, pull the nose up just a *tad*, go to zero pitch as you apply full aileron one way or the other and hold on until it goes all the way around, then bring pitch back in. You will lose a bit of airspeed, obviously, since the nose was pulled up on entry. Oh well, they look pretty axial and good to me.
Hmmm... interesting thought actually. I could see how that will work if you roll it fast enough!

I've been trying to go neutral pitch everywhere except when it's upside down and it works great if you time it right.

I think I need to setup my pitch curve so that it's got a little numbness around nuetral pitch so I have more room for error. Or maybe I need to keep it the way it is and just figure out the stick timing!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
It flies amazing! It feels exactly like the 450X in the air.
Good to know. I really want to get a 450 X. I figure I'll pull the trigger when (not if, WHEN) I lawn dart my 450 3D badly enough (again) that I don't want to fix it right away. Kind of like how I got my mSR X because I was sick of rebuilding the sloppy head/flybar on the original mSR. Love my heli "false economy"...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Hmmm... interesting thought actually. I could see how that will work if you roll it fast enough!
That's the thing... I don't know how fast the 130 X rolls...YET... That method works well with my mCP X because I have it wired pretty tight on the controls in idle-up 2. Its roll rate is pretty quick, so the inverted transient part where you'd need a bump of negative pitch to keep it up isn't very long at all.

Oh, to add:

One thing I noticed on my 130 X after getting the new flange bearings installed and the tail back together...and bench running it... One of the entire flange bearings was spinning slowly in the tail gear case "pocket". I noticed it because there was a tiny dab of white lithium grease on the outer race from when I lubed the gears. I saw it turning when I was inspecting the tail closely. So, a TINY dab of some slow CA in each "pocket" fixed that problem. Might be something to keep an eye on because, if that whole bearing keeps turning, it's only going to wear out the hole(s) and get worse and worse.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Last edited by sertav; Jul 09, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
It rolls pretty fast... about the same roll rate as what I'm seeing in the sim on most helis...
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
Because it's BRUSHLESS out of the box with, apparently, plenty of power and a *real* variable pitch TT driven tail. The mCP X was none of that, out of the box. It's significantly larger, as well, and easier to see.

What's a BNF mCP X run these days from Horizon...still $179 or so? I haven't priced one in a while. Throw in another $100+ in parts for an upgraded/extended tail and a brushless conversion that you'll have to do yourself and guess what? You've now paid as much as just outright buying the better performing 130 X (mCP X will still always have that motor tail...), quality control issues aside. The mCP X was no "peach" when it first came out, either, with regards to QC...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
That's the thing... I don't know how fast the 130 X rolls...YET... That method works well with my mCP X because I have it wired pretty tight on the controls in idle-up 2. Its roll rate is pretty quick, so the inverted transient part where you'd need a bump of negative pitch to keep it up isn't very long at all.

Oh, to add:

One thing I noticed on my 130 X after getting the new flange bearings installed and the tail back together...and bench running it... One of the entire flange bearings was spinning slowly in the tail gear case "pocket". I noticed it because there was a tiny dab of white lithium grease on the outer race from when I lubed the gears. I saw it turning when I was inspecting the tail closely. So, a TINY dab of some slow CA in each "pocket" fixed that problem. Might be something to keep an eye on because, if that whole bearing keeps turning, it's only going to wear out the hole(s) and get worse and worse.
I think my 130 could roll a bit quicker. I don't know if raising the ail gain would help.

Justin
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Or maybe I need to keep it the way it is and just figure out the stick timing!
I did it wrong for a long time... You need to be at zero pitch a lot sooner than you might think. Must people aim to hit zero pitch when the helicopter is at the knife edge point, but that's way too late, because what happens to a helicopter in a 45-degree bank with positive pitch?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I did it wrong for a long time... You need to be at zero pitch a lot sooner than you might think. Must people aim to hit zero pitch when the helicopter is at the knife edge point, but that's way too late, because what happens to a helicopter in a 45-degree bank with positive pitch?
That must be my issue. I do fine on the first KE position but it's the second one where I sometimes go flying WAY off to the side...

Get the heart rate going though!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I think my 130 could roll a bit quicker. I don't know if raising the ail gain would help.

Justin
Raising the travel on the aileron channel would tell it to go a little faster, but it's probably set at or around the physical limit already. Raising the gain should make it slower.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New in the box E-Flite Taylorcraft ARF Kit plus High Performance E-Flite components Philscho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 19, 2012 12:25 AM
For Sale E-Flite 300 32e SHP ****SOLD*** E-Flite still aviable tomtheman Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 28, 2012 08:01 PM
Sold E-flite 60A ESC w/ E-flite Brushless 1010kV Motor joshfneptune Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 05, 2012 08:18 PM
Discussion E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 ARF Kit and High Power E-Flite electrical components $300 Philscho Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 02, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion E-Flite Su-26 and E-flite Extra 260 repair Joe Slow Crash Discussion 1 Sep 27, 2011 11:50 AM