HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Accidentally did that with my 450X's battery. Big spark, no damage though. I take greater care with all my batteries after that.
I did a complete bonehead move early on in my RC days... and I have zero excuse for it as I work in the lithium industry!!

I had ordered some new batteries and I wanted to change the connectors. So I just took a pair of scissors and proceeded to chop BOTH wires at the same time right behind the old connector. That sucker sparked BIG time and I threw the battery across the room!

That could've been bad. REALLY bad.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Bought mine from LHS. Been flying it regularly for over a week now with no problems out of the box. I think it is just the luck of the draw.
If you are allowed to check your heli or even fly it at your LHS, your chances of success will be much higher than if you were just given a box to take home. Apparently, some LHS allows you to do this while others don't.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
If you are allowed to check your heli or even fly it at your LHS, your chances of success will be much higher than if you were just given a box to take home. Apparently, some LHS allows you to do this while others don't.
It would have to be a good LHS and/or you'd probably need a good reputation with them. I can't seeing many LHSs wanting to let people test fly their stuff and, potentially, end up with a bunch of broken stuff. It would be cool, though, if they test flew it in front of a potential customer so at least they know it works.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Tom Holdren
FlipFlops365's Avatar
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Can any of you recommend slower settings for the dx6i transmitter than the ones in the manual? It's just too fidgety in high or even low rates for me. I'm coming from a 120SR so this is completely new to me. Until my spare batteries ship, my practice time is limited and I get to fly it once a day if I'm lucky (dad with two kids, two jobs and one 130x battery lol).
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Last edited by FlipFlops365; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
JHawk19's Avatar
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Can someone explain the draw of the 130x?

I don't understand paying $279 for a BNF micro heli that's 12 inches long, when you can purchase the Blade 3D (450 sized) for $20 more.

Is it because it's flybarless? Is it the AS3X system?
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Can someone explain the draw of the 130x?

I don't understand paying $279 for a BNF micro heli that's 12 inches long, when you can purchase the Blade 3D (450 sized) for $20 more.
SIZE. A great many people want a good "pocket chopper" because they can't do anything "fun" beyond hovering and, maybe, some slow FF with a 450 sized heli in their backyards/at their house. The stock mCP X is too small for a lot of people and it's underpowered in brushed form, out of the box. Also, you can score a 450 3D from Ampdraw for under $250 these days.

Quote:
Is it because it's flybarless? Is it the AS3X system?
That is a huge draw, as well... The AS3X is a good FBL system.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
Registered User
Coptafeel's Avatar
Joined Mar 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf58 View Post
Has everyone had good luck with this heli? Looks cool but sometimes the design isn't great.
oh yes indeed, Ryan! ...100% resounding success rate - not a single issue to report by anyone it seems. HH has solidly hit this one out of the park and in to the next county. Why, it's almost unbelievable!

It's good to see you took a moment to read some of the previous comments before you posted your question
Coptafeel is offline Find More Posts by Coptafeel
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Always, against the wind
Thetis's Avatar
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sertav View Post
It would have to be a good LHS and/or you'd probably need a good reputation with them. I can't seeing many LHSs wanting to let people test fly their stuff and, potentially, end up with a bunch of broken stuff. It would be cool, though, if they test flew it in front of a potential customer so at least they know it works.
When you buy, you expect a new prduct and in a sealed box. I have seen in one LHS after you pay you open the box and you fly in the back of the store if you want. If the the product is defective out of the box, you get a refund or if you damage it is your fault, and as usual you pay always for your own mistakes.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
When you buy, you expect a new prduct and in a sealed box. I have seen in one LHS after you pay you open the box and you fly in the back of the store if you want. If the the product is defective out of the box, you get a refund or if you damage it is your fault, and as usual you pay always for your own mistakes.
I'll have to see what my LHS's policy on this is. I've never really thought to ask. Probably because I don't really buy kits from them because they're generally more expensive. I do use them for parts, however.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,509 Posts
Flybarless is a very big feacture. I have two BL mCPX and they are great but small and unless you are very comfortable doing stunts low and close it is very easy to get disorintated. I can fly mine FFF doing circuits at 300 away but doing flips at 30 feet up and if it turns I get disorintated .Gross weight of 1.6 oz. means TH can save major damage most of the time.

130X comes BL has good power can do reall 3D out of the box has 12.8 " main rotor versus 6.8' and only weighs 3.77 oz. gross. Twice as heavy means it hits aprox. 4 times as hard but reports indicate it survives a lot of fairly hard knocks with little to no damage.

450 X has 21.7" mains much easier to see but weights 17.3 oz. which means it hit mother earth like a 400 thus no such thing as a minor crash from over 2 feet off the deck.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Next Generation 130x

I know many of you are familiar with the Hard Deck systems that are coming out. These systems will not allow the helicopter to go below a preset altitude. FMA has an add-on to the Co-pilot II. And Align is coming out with the Auto-pilot which has a Hard Deck mode. My suggestion is to add a Hard Deck feature to the 130x. All that would be needed is barometric and IR sensors. These sensors can be very small, some watches have barometric sensors in them. This would be the ultimate uncrashable helicopter. Blade has probably already thought about this and will neither confirm or deny the possibility.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I know many of you are familiar with the Hard Deck systems that are coming out. These systems will not allow the helicopter to go below a preset altitude. FMA has an add-on to the Co-pilot II. And Align is coming out with the Auto-pilot which has a Hard Deck mode. My suggestion is to add a Hard Deck feature to the 130x. All that would be needed is barometric and IR sensors. These sensors can be very small, some watches have barometric sensors in them. This would be the ultimate uncrashable helicopter. Blade has probably already thought about this and will neither confirm or deny the possibility.
Barometric sensors, in no way, shape or form, would be accurate enough for this application. Consumer grade electronic altimeters are routinely off by 50+ feet. Then you have atmospheric pressure changes to deal with, recalibrate, etc. 50ft or so isn't a big deal when you're hiking in mountains having thousands of feet in elevation, but a heli? Nope...

Now, a radar altimeter in the form of IR sensors would be a different story...and you'd need a sensor on every side, top and bottom of the heli...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Flybarless is a very big feacture. I have two BL mCPX and they are great but small and unless you are very comfortable doing stunts low and close it is very easy to get disorintated. I can fly mine FFF doing circuits at 300 away but doing flips at 30 feet up and if it turns I get disorintated .Gross weight of 1.6 oz. means TH can save major damage most of the time.

130X comes BL has good power can do reall 3D out of the box has 12.8 " main rotor versus 6.8' and only weighs 3.77 oz. gross. Twice as heavy means it hits aprox. 4 times as hard but reports indicate it survives a lot of fairly hard knocks with little to no damage.

450 X has 21.7" mains much easier to see but weights 17.3 oz. which means it hit mother earth like a 400 thus no such thing as a minor crash from over 2 feet off the deck.
I think you're a little off on your main rotor diameters. The MCPX diameter is almost 9.75" and any 450 size heli has a diameter approximately 28".
First thing I said when I picked up a 130X at my LHS was that it wasn't much bigger than the MCPX. Its looks beefier, with wider canopy and more sustantial skids, but not much longer.

I honestly don't see the appeal of the 130X either, I think its overpriced and it is showing typical HH quality control issues at introduction. But people keeping buying in droves so they are doing something right!
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I think you're a little off on your main rotor diameters. The MCPX diameter is almost 9.75" and any 450 size heli has a diameter approximately 28".
Dude needs to check his specs. The 450 X, which he specifically mentioned, is considerably heavier (by about a third) than the 17.3 oz he listed, too...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
First thing I said when I picked up a 130X at my LHS was that it wasn't much bigger than the MCPX. Its looks beefier, with wider canopy and more sustantial skids, but not much longer.

I honestly don't see the appeal of the 130X either, I think its overpriced and it is showing typical HH quality control issues at introduction. But people keeping buying in droves so they are doing something right!
Because it's BRUSHLESS out of the box with, apparently, plenty of power and a *real* variable pitch TT driven tail. The mCP X was none of that, out of the box. It's significantly larger, as well, and easier to see.

What's a BNF mCP X run these days from Horizon...still $179 or so? I haven't priced one in a while. Throw in another $100+ in parts for an upgraded/extended tail and a brushless conversion that you'll have to do yourself and guess what? You've now paid as much as just outright buying the better performing 130 X (mCP X will still always have that motor tail...), quality control issues aside. The mCP X was no "peach" when it first came out, either, with regards to QC...
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New in the box E-Flite Taylorcraft ARF Kit plus High Performance E-Flite components Philscho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 19, 2012 12:25 AM
For Sale E-Flite 300 32e SHP ****SOLD*** E-Flite still aviable tomtheman Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 28, 2012 08:01 PM
Sold E-flite 60A ESC w/ E-flite Brushless 1010kV Motor joshfneptune Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 05, 2012 08:18 PM
Discussion E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 ARF Kit and High Power E-Flite electrical components $300 Philscho Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 02, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion E-Flite Su-26 and E-flite Extra 260 repair Joe Slow Crash Discussion 1 Sep 27, 2011 11:50 AM