HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mexico, D.F., Mexico City
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Batteries

Thanks to all for the replies.
One Red KMX is on it's way home (well, just as PA Team gets back from the funfly, nice 10%, everyone should take advantage of it ... haha) and 3S 2200's Packs are also on their way home.
Smontesdeoca is offline Find More Posts by Smontesdeoca
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
I had that exact same issue with my Bandit.

Fortunately it is a quick fix: open a small access hole so that you can sneak some epoxy in using a screw driver tip etc. Worked perfectly and the access hole was patched using some of the covering that was cut from the bottom of the fuse.

Of course it was a bit irritating having to cut a hole to a brand new wing but it doesn't bother me any more.
Seems to be the most straight forward way, but cutting through the new shiny covering omg! I don't have any of the spare covering too , fuse bits are coloured, wing in that area is either clear or white. And the white that came with the kit to seal the elevator was not large enough to do the elevator, and was also more of a cream colour than white
osmium_192 is offline Find More Posts by osmium_192
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium_192 View Post
Seems to be the most straight forward way, but cutting through the new shiny covering omg! I don't have any of the spare covering too , fuse bits are coloured, wing in that area is either clear or white. And the white that came with the kit to seal the elevator was not large enough to do the elevator, and was also more of a cream colour than white
One thing that I've done in the past to hide imperfections when I don't have any spare covering is to use a sticker. I always have little stickers from Spektrum, PA, or whatever manufacturer laying around from previous builds. If you cut a small square section out of the covering, I'm sure you could find a sticker that would cover it nicely and it might even look like it's supposed to be that way. Just a thought...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:53 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,039 Posts
Or use a piece of covering from one of the wing servo bays ...
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
Central LA.
Joined Aug 2010
24 Posts
Battery and ESC Layout?

Just getting time to start putting my KMX together and after pre-reading the manual and looking at all of the parts, I have a couple questions.
How are you guys mounting the esc and are you having to extend the power wires of the esc?
I'm using the stock Quantum esc and my plan is to wire the series connection directly to the esc, per the manual but the power wires seem quite short. I was thinking that each connector would come up on either side of the battery tray but, with the stock length of the wires it looks like they will barely make it up to the battery tray?
Are any of you extending the power wires or am I looking at it all wrong???
Pics would be great.

Forgot to ask another question:
Is it necessary to install the fiberglass/epoxy reinforcement to the bottom of the motor mount? I thought I read somewhere that this was'nt required on the newer PA models?

Thanks
jstarks is offline Find More Posts by jstarks
Last edited by jstarks; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium_192 View Post
Thanks for the feedback regarding the batteries.

Given the aircraft was designed solely for 2200 3S packs, and the layout not allowing for straightforward modifications to allow the 6S packs to be used, I have decided that I will just fly the intended packs.

I even looked into cutting the cross members and rebuilding it higher up to allow space for the more square cross section packs. The conclusion is that its not worth the effort and loss of structural integrity or weight gain.

Flying light is very much the key, with the scratch foamie 3Ds that I fly of about 350g AUW, I usually run a 1000mA 3S, but adding another 200mA to a 1200mA pack adds another 30 grams, and that 8% difference in weight takes the edge and fun out of the aircraft. Runtimes are not really that much higher either, needed more power to haul it around. Pulling out of hovers and the high alpha stall speed is where most of the losses are.

I imagine the katana will follow the same rules. The biggest reason I have that urge to increase capacity is because my foamies float around for 10 minutes of 3D, 20 of cruising around, and I am very used to that. Will have get used to halving that!
the manual says "the KMX is designed designed to be flown on two individual 3 cell battery packs as per the diagram or with one 6s pack"

It's just a matter of fitting and CG adjustment.. 2x 3S packs allow for better CG adjustment as they can go back into the fuse past the rear of the battery tray.. 6S packs are too high to go through.

the advantages of a single 6S packs are less charging and less weight (no need for series harness,one main lead, less plugs), and less fiddling.. so long as they fit. I spose it'd be good to use all the same packs for a constant CG

my nanotech 2200s 25-50c 6S's fit well (just) and these should be fine but I'd like to get some really good packs.. some of the latest gen 40C packs are about 350g and on the slim side. .

..I've just bought a stack of revolectrix diamond label 2600 6s 60C packs for my jets, and if they go as well as I hope they will, then I'll get some 2200 6S 40C ones for my KMX.. they'd pack a good punch.. a bit more power using 40-80c.. I'm hoping these packs will be as good as anything others out there.
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,039 Posts
I'm a very happy camper

Finished assembling my KMX "iPas Power" kit at 3am and flew the maiden this morning.
Perfect weather... couldn't be better.
Wow. I have a new favourite. On my first pair of lipos she was a little tail heavy but got it perfect by my third flight.
KE passes are amazing. Fast, slow at high alpha makes no difference... she just tracks dead straight.

I chose to not install the VG's from the bling kit, just to get a feel for the plane without any aerodynamic aids. The plane flies amazing as is so I can't wait for next weekend when I have all the CF VG's installed.

This is an amazing airframe. Thank you Shaun, this one is a definite keeper

dG
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
I'm a very happy camper

Finished assembling my KMX "iPas Power" kit at 3am and flew the maiden this morning.
Wow. I have a new favourite. On my first pair of lipos she was a little tail heavy but got it perfect by my third flight.
KE passes are amazing. Fast, slow at high alpha makes no difference... she just tracks dead straight.

I chose to not install the VG's from the bling kit, just to get a feel for the plane without any aerodynamic aids. The plane flies amazing as is so I can't wait for next weekend when I have all the CF VG's installed.

dG
Looking good dg!

I have around 15 flights on mine now. Loving it! Floats like a butterfly stings like a bee! Smoother than silk, more precise than a micrometer, hovers like a hummingbird, more powerful than a RC locomotive and looks good while doing it!
D.B.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:04 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
got the motor box and braces done last night.. just the VG's, motor and scoops to go! oh, and a bit of filing in the hinges of one aileron as it binds at the last inch of upwards travel.. had the same little issue on a couple of bandits..

.. anyway, should be the maiden flight tomorrow wind permitting
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
after seeing the KMX in the flesh and how amazingly well it flies I cannot wait to get my hands on one
here are some pics I took when Demon was flying.
quality isnt too good due the the "brilliance" of Blackberry camera,anyhow some cool shots
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:57 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
I'm a very happy camper

dG
I like the green one too.. if the yellow-orange one is called 'mango', then maybe this one could be "fresh mint"
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:53 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks View Post
Just getting time to start putting my KMX together and after pre-reading the manual and looking at all of the parts, I have a couple questions.
How are you guys mounting the esc and are you having to extend the power wires of the esc?
I'm using the stock Quantum esc and my plan is to wire the series connection directly to the esc, per the manual but the power wires seem quite short. I was thinking that each connector would come up on either side of the battery tray but, with the stock length of the wires it looks like they will barely make it up to the battery tray?
Pics would be great.

Is it necessary to install the fiberglass/epoxy reinforcement to the bottom of the motor mount? I thought I read somewhere that this was'nt required on the newer PA models?

Thanks
I'm gonna use both 2x 3s and 6s packs so I'll solder plug directly onto end of esc wires, then use a series adapter to the 3s packs.

Definitely I'd say you need to do the fibreglass strip as the manual says to. I've got the last 2 PA planes, bandit and addiction x, and they don't have that strip as you say, but they don't have such a crazy powerful motor bolted up front as the KMX. I don't have the extra mx so I am wondering if the additional step maybe is that they're using the extra mx motorbox in the KMX (?), and the greater power / performance of the 15x8 / 16x6 requires a bit of additional strength.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:21 PM
Acme, Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarks View Post
Pics would be great.

Thanks
Very definitely reinforce the motor mount as much as possible. I have blown out 2 mounts on the X'tra MX's I have owned. With freshly charged batteries, the torque is tremendous when you punch full throttle.
Brufli is offline Find More Posts by Brufli
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Central LA.
Joined Aug 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brufli View Post
Very definitely reinforce the motor mount as much as possible. I have blown out 2 mounts on the X'tra MX's I have owned. With freshly charged batteries, the torque is tremendous when you punch full throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
I'm gonna use both 2x 3s and 6s packs so I'll solder plug directly onto end of esc wires, then use a series adapter to the 3s packs.

Definitely I'd say you need to do the fibreglass strip as the manual says to. I've got the last 2 PA planes, bandit and addiction x, and they don't have that strip as you say, but they don't have such a crazy powerful motor bolted up front as the KMX. I don't have the extra mx so I am wondering if the additional step maybe is that they're using the extra mx motorbox in the KMX (?), and the greater power / performance of the 15x8 / 16x6 requires a bit of additional strength.
Thanks for the replies,

Will definitely go ahead and reinforce the motor box with the supplied fiberglass. The leaflet that was in the motor box bag, only shows reinforcing the bottom seam of the motor box but from the sound of things I may do all sides. it can't add that much extra weight so there should be no ill-effects.

Still need more info on extending the input wires on the esc or a pic of someones install with the Quantum esc.
jstarks is offline Find More Posts by jstarks
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:05 AM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Where did the motor mount 'blow out' on the extra MX, and how did it end up?

Well I got some pictures of mine in the air! The KMX was not the only thing in the air that can climb vertically.

And a picture of my solution to the hinge debonding issue. Had to use a finishing epoxy to get it sufficiently liquid to dispense via a 25gauge needle. Blew out a needle when trying to use normal epoxy due to the viscosity! Only thing that wasn't so good was that the epoxy needed a few days to set, pushing the maiden back a day!
osmium_192 is offline Find More Posts by osmium_192
Last edited by osmium_192; Oct 03, 2012 at 07:53 AM.