HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Discussion
V4.0 Firmware flight with HoverflyPro and GPS...happy so far!

I had 4 flights today about 10 to 15 minutes each. The first three were to set and test the Primary gain and the gains for AL and AH. I started out with a no-wind condition, but on the 4th flight which youll see the video for, I had a light breeze and at about 300ft above ground, it was a bit gusty. I think I have more work to do on the gains, and I will let all of you be the judge when you view the video. You might notice at times I "banged the sticks around" to see if I can cause any bad behavior.

I think in the video you will see...

Excellent AH performance, except for the 2 to 3 seconds it is switched to on, but recovers nicely

Excellent AL performance- cannot add much more here, I was pretty happy, but I know I have more tuning to do

Excellent PH performance and Slewing to new positions as well...PH was pretty solid on the climb-out and the descent, and when those wind gusts hit it aloft. You will actually hear the wind on the camera mic. I yawed a couple of 360's in both directions and it still held GPS postion within a few feet.

Heading hold was rock solid as you will see as well, and I was aggressive at times with yawing, but still, no drifting or over compensation that I can see.

You might see some behavior at times, but I think it is gain related and I would love some input from everyone.

My set up is...

Futaba 9CH Super with TM-7 and R607FS
Black HoverflyPro with HoverflyGPS
Rusty's +quad frame using aluminum hardware and 5/8" carbon fiber booms
Rusty's generic floating camera mount using 3 of the soft dampeners
Avroto M2814-11S short shaft driving APC 11x4.7SFP props (balanced)
64cm shaft to shaft
Turnigy Plush 30a ESC
Blue Lipo 4s 20c 5000mah
Canon Powershot SD1200IS hard-mounted...no compensation
CC BEC Pro set to 12v powers the board
total weight = 65oz
flight times vary -12 to 16 minutes with reserve

Hoverfly Pro and Hoverfly GPS on V4.0 firmware. (10 min 41 sec)
dzwiss is offline Find More Posts by dzwiss
Last edited by dzwiss; Apr 12, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Name: IMG_20120408_204059.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 253.3 KB
Description:
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
278 Posts
VERY NICE.

What dome cover did you use?
imacav8r is offline Find More Posts by imacav8r
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
EASILY ANNOYED
United States, MI, New Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
How is the Return Home function working? Please post video.
zuby1 is offline Find More Posts by zuby1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:58 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,803 Posts
Why not use the X configuration to keep the motor out of the picture?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Congratulations IC for v4.0!

Today I spent 4 sets of batteries with my Hexa and perfect.

The change in position of the PH with the controls, to solved many problems of positioning.

It is essential to fine adjust the profits of AL and AH.

I noticed that from 10.8 v in 3s, the pH becomes unstable (it increasingly large circles) for lack of engine power when it loses the position of PH, off PH and landing. Changing batteries and go back to perfect

With my quad with HFP only, to get the voltage to 10.8 V with AL active, if I make a move quickly releasing the knob trying to stabilize, gets out and rolls over.

The RTH, the little that I've tried works.

Tests conducted without wind, with a slight breeze from the East.
fort1952 is offline Find More Posts by fort1952
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
What are those shakes at 00:36? Change between manual and AL?
elossam is online now Find More Posts by elossam
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
imacav8r - I order the dome from replacementdomes.com and it is 5.5" tinted with a 3/8" flange

zuby1 - I have not tested that yet, but plan to today. I will post video of RTH performance.

RC Man - I prefer + just because it 'feels' better to me. Right now, the camera is mounted on top of the floating mount so I can see the motor mount. I wanted a fixed point in view so I can measure visually how my quad is performing. I also wanted to see how well the floating mount is isolated from vibrations from the frame to figure out how many soft studs are needed for best performance. When the camera is mounted underneath, the motor mount is completely out of view.

fort1952 - I have not seen this instability with low voltage. The only thing I notice is the feel is a bit sluggish, and it wants to descend until I give it a higher throttle. But it stays stable and I can land without any difficulty.

elossam - the shakes you see is when I engage AH. I get no shakes when I start AL, but maybe a tiny twitch I can see while flying it, but I dont see that in the video. You probably see I am aggressive, with the sticks...(banging them) to see how it reacts.

I forgot to mention I use CC BEC Pro set at 12v to power the board

During the climb, the wind is coming from the left side and you can see it leaning into the wind, especially with the gusts you hear...then as I yaw the quad, you will see the lean changing appropriately against the wind. From the ground you cant see this, but what I did see was that it held position solidly.

The descent began at around 6:50, and it was fast initially, and then I slowed it down to make sure it would clear between two trees where the GPS home is, and it did!

Does the Hoverfly team have any advice for me based on what they see and hear in the video, I would like your input or suggestions.
Last edited by dzwiss; Apr 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Thanks dzwiss, Dou you thing the new firm modifies in anyway the climb rate with the AH enabled or itīs as slow as allways? Do you use the AH when climbing or descending in the posted video? Other than that and having in mind the aggressive imputs it looks like performing quite weel even with the wind gusts according to what the fixed camera shows, and amazing to see how the motor boom suffer from torsion.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
elossam - yes, I did use AH on the climb and descent, and I do believe there is a difference in climbing and descending speeds and stability. You can see in the video it is smooth except when the wind gusts of course. I also find the speed much faster and did ease on the throttle so slow down.
What appears to be torsion in the booms is actually an optical illusion. That movement, torsion, and vibration is actually what is being absorbed by the soft dampeners that Rusty's hanging camera mount hangs from. Hard for me to explain.

Also, my mistake, the twitching at :36 is me flicking the sticks

AH is engaged at :15

at 2:19 I switched on PH hold which also engages AL

the top of the climb is at 2:40 and descent begins at 6:37
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Thanks that makes easier to understand and analyze the video and the HFP behaviour.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,713 Posts
12-16 minutes!

I get 6 minutes of FPV flight, dang I need to have you build my quads!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS