HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Discussion
How does hobby king get away with falsifying invoices for US Customs import taxs?

I was just wondering if any one knew how hobby king gets away with falsifying invoices for inbound US orders to avoid customers paying import tax? I have a bunch of orders with extremely inaccurate invoices. Oh because no one cares..
I think I will be sending my invoices to the state department. Thats what happens hobby king when you screw some one over. What goes around will come around.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,970 Posts
For what it is worth, unless they are buying over $2000 worth at a time it will make no difference as far as import taxes as they ship EMS so it comes USPS and they have a $2000 threshold for hobby items. Also in all fairness the person buying is the one who selects the amount to be on the customs invoice. Step 3 on checkout has a pull down menu where you select what to declare the customs value at, you choose between 10% and 100% of the order value. So the person buying is just as guilty as HK for declaring fake values.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,201 Posts
Prepare to have your mind blow!

What if the cost they print is the TRUE cost of the items in the box!

I got a order of 5 3S lipos and it did say "Toy Parts" and had a value of $9.53.
To me this is a believable cost.

Just sayin
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,970 Posts
30% of order value is the is "default" value in the customs value box for USA customer when you checkout. See photo attached below, I put a $36.96 item in the shopping cart and it shows 30% = $11.09 so if you don't change it to 100% then the customs declaration invoice will be 30% of what you paid. So all anyone has to do is pay attention to what is happening in the checkout process and select 100% and there will be no issue. They should not allow such an option or at least set it to 100% as the default but I can see them saying that the customer is the one who is doing the wrong thing by selecting a lower value but then HK is an enabler allowing them to do it. But I guess it is a grey area like buying fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in Ohio but if I sign a piece of paper saying I will take them out of the state within 48 hours after purchase I can buy a truckload full and the policeman at the exit will tell me have a nice day as I put them in my car.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Apr 11, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,484 Posts
Removed by tacx after reprimand. Was to insensitive.

My apologies to all,

Tom
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Last edited by tacx; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,554 Posts
And if they declared full value and the import tax became higher who do you think would pay the difference. It wouldn't be HK.

And I agree with tacx.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:33 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,082 Posts
State Department will laugh your complaint right into the trash.

#1 State Department does not collect any taxes, nor does it have authority to dictate taxes be collected by other entities.

#2 The State Department is desperate to continue a good faith relationship with China so they will continue to buy our rapidly devaluing debt.

Be strong - buy your toys from someone else and you won't have to worry about declared taxes...
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Here are three excellent sources for low cost hobby parts here in the US, no customs required.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

http://www.allerc.com/

http://www.hobbypartz.com/

You can also order from the HobbyKing USA warehouse is they have what you need in stock and the customs have already been paid.
treeshurtz is offline Find More Posts by treeshurtz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
They are not toys... Also if everyone had to pay import tax there would be no hobbyking. Its true, "suck it up and stop buying from hobbyking". I like that one...
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:43 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
Also if everyone had to pay import tax there would be no hobbyking.
So your solution is to change the US laws so the $2000 limit is reduced to $0 so any imported product from China (Hobbyking or not) will be taxed?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,190 Posts
what if all these lower priced items at HK are the same items that we pay the hi prices on in the US but just relabled or the production rights have been sold to the the HK producers of these products and every one is still making out real good with there sales????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39