HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2003, 01:22 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Easybug build and flight report...

Well, I couldn't resist this one. $35 for a sort-of foam-IFO. Child-friendly coloring.

Took 1 evening to put together - I'm no expert, but this was easier than a Slow Stick. The usual GWS instructions - reasonably clear, but worth reviewing in advance. My changes over stock:
1. Put the tail fin on last. A lot of the fittings go on with the plane upside down. In fact I didn't use a rudder, and didn't glue the tail fin in for transport...
2. The little pieces that act as pushrod guides in the wing? Well, they'll never easily just glue onto the wing. Clip away the bit that extends above the hotizontal piece. I pushed mine in from the other side.
3. Glue the above bits and the elevon horns. I also drilled out an extra hole in the control horn for better response...
4. Used a Kokam 1500mAh Li Poly - fits perfectly in the battery bay. The EPS350C, if moved to a -D gearbox, will also take a 3S Lithium if needed.

AUW ~= 10oz, per the box. I used the 10x4.7SF instead of the 10x6DD drive (both are in the box). The GWS website claims more thrust for the SF drive on the C (5.33) gearbox supplied - I must admit I was expecting a D gearbox.
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2003, 01:30 AM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
First flight(s)

Used elevon mixing in the TX: short take off roll and up!
Likes high throttle settings - not surprising as it hasn't much wing!
A bit nose heavy - landing is certainly not a "float in" exercise, and lands nose-down which breaks the u/c plastic mount in its foam bed. Scotch tape keeps the u/c back in place enough for another take off.

Sadly a radio glitch (my excuse anyway) causes a tumble to terra firma from 20ft up. Prop kapput, but the open-above motor stick mount design means the stick unglues rather than the motor/GB/propshaft trashing. Very crash-friendly!

Summary: a hoot, but not for a beginner. Surpisingly speedy - I may try a D gearbox and see what happens with more thrust + less speed.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:26 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Bottom of a bug

I aleays wondered why many planes have intricate color/colour on the top, when most of the time in the air that will not be visible (well I guess that depends on flying style).

Zagi tape added legs + feelers to the flying bug...
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:45 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Other threads that might be of interest:

LVRCFlyer's 3D Pizza which looks like it is a relative of this plane. Clearly LVRC doesn't have a 2 year old choosing planes for him

Ed Couch's nicely finished Easy Bug - ah, its meant to be 2 words. I call it a Ladybird 'cos I speak English English...

RMason's pizza thread.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 11:25 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
3S Etec 1200 report

Tried a 3S Etec1200 and a HD 9050 prop today.

Points to note:
- this power combo gives 18oz thrust per GWS' specs. This meant I flew mostly at 30% throttle
- the 9050 prop seems to have a 6mm bore - huge! I drilled out a Sp400 rubber prop adapter to fit...

The amazing thing was another would-be-fatal-on-any-normal-plane crash which did NO - ZERO - ZILCH damage!!! I found myself near inverted and attempted a pull-out down wind (wind ~5mph). I did not enough control authority to pull out and the plane bounced in on its nose - maybe if I'd applied throttle I'd have got some control!

Definitely a high fun value.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 12:15 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Nice write-up!!

Have you tryed any hovering with her yet? Looks like it would hover realy good....

Looks like alot of fun! im gunno go get one now!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Nov 02, 2003, 04:13 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Hovering...

Thomas - according to the 3D Pizza thread these are born hoverers - I haven't done a rudder yet on mine though - I hover 40' up in wind instead. Good luck with yours!
Old Nov 06, 2003, 07:11 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
After a minor "barbwire fence meets easy bug" incident just after I go my EasyBug I have not had a chance to fly it until today. I went out just before dusk. This time with a little more weight in the tail so it balances a few mm behind the recommended point.

What an absolute blast !! I started out again with the full throttle hand launch then after a minute or two I tried slowing it down. I spent the next maybe 20mins hovering just above the ground, flying at walking speed, just generally having a ball. This thing is brilliant fun

I have the 350C, 10x8 prop and 2s1p etech 1200 lipo power. No under carriage. It really likes to be a little tail heavy, allows for those nice vertical landings, hovering etc but with no problems in fast forward flight either. When I first flew it I was a little nose heavy too, that gave the impression of a quick twitchy bird. Completely different with the cg back.

And to think I have tomorrow off so I can play all day!

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
Old Nov 08, 2003, 01:29 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Ingmar - do you use a 3rd / rudder servo for your hovering antics? I left mine off so I could remove the rudder for transport. Maybe if I mount a servo in the fin I could:
- have rudder control
- maintain portability
- put some weight aft.
Hmmmm............
Old Nov 14, 2003, 08:10 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
isvana

I got the easy bug with similar setup like yours, 2 servos for V-tail mixing, no rudder.
How's your elevator trim? I had to trim my elevators about 1/8" upward to maintain level flight at almost WOT, I'm running 7cell 720maH NiMH, 350 "D" GB and 1080 prop. Lini
lini is offline Find More Posts by lini
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:17 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Lini - My trim is more like 1/4-1/2 inch primarily due to my CofG being too far forward. I'm avoiding using the "clay pit" in the back of the fuselage because (a) I hate dead weight and (b) I'm hoping that adding a servo in the tail will balance the CofG. Plus it seems to fly fine like this. The servo-tail experiment is awaiting a 4 channel radio with elevon mixing. I trimmed mine using EZConnectors so its the default / parked position.
By the way, GWS' motor chart suggests a 1170 will give you 4oz more thrust for 0.3A more - although you may be pushing the amp limit on AAAs anyway... you must be doing wild aerobatics to be using WOT!

I'm amazed at how much wind this plane can take. I watched a fellow flier inadvertantly fly his IFO into the back of (someone else's) parked hardtop truck last week due to wind, and my EasyBug rolled back prior to takeoff before I chocked behind the wheels... before having a blast of a flight including fly-highs with glide-downs - definitely a "laugh-a-minute" plane.
Last edited by isvana; Nov 16, 2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:16 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
Today, I put the stock 350 "C" motor and 10x4.7 prop on, the CG is at 145MM, with the 1/8" up elevator as neutral setup, it still flys with 1/4 downstick to keep level, otherwise it will nose dive. It went vertical for 50 feet but I don't how to control it, also it likes to fly with almost WOT and the speed is a little too fast for me to handle. Seem like it is easier to control without the big wheels and LG.
Here's my nose dive picture:
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:55 AM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Good action shot!
Quote:
1/8" up elevator as neutral setup, it still flys with 1/4 downstick to keep level
Do you mean 1/4 forward ie pushing nose down? If so then you don't need the up elevator trim, I'd assume. If you are pulling back 1/4 way then that implies you need more up elevator for trim, which implies even more nose heavy than mine! But your CofG sounds right.
Quote:
the speed is a little too fast for me to handle
I'd agree this is a "hot" bird. It's my 4th plane in a year of flying, and it certainly seems trickier than my Crazy Max. I'd suggest bringing the CofG forward per the instructions to see what happens (ie to 135mm)... good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2003, 06:01 PM
Random Flier
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Phase 2 of plane ownership...

... is wear and tear.

Attempting hovers and practising recovery (still with no rudder) gave 2 hard crashes today but luckily onto grass.

1st: semi inverted nose-in; Easybug bounced off its nose! all the battery gear & ESC ejected; no damage.

2nd: side-nose landing at high speed. This time part of the wing (?) near the nose teared; the tear probably stopped from going too far back by the tape underneath.

Of course, in the interests of investigation, I tried flying it with the tear and did a nose-landing after the wing flapped up in flight... amazing it flew at all with the foam flapping up like that.

Repairs: sticky tape in the field.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:30 PM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
I installed the rudder servo yesterday and flew it today, it turns very well using the rudder. I'm still not able to hover for more than 15 seconds, it keeps rolling off, when I tried to applied opposite rudder, it rolls to the other side.
Stock setup: 350 motor, HD1060 prop, Kokam 1500 2S Lipo, LG, AUW 11.1oz. It can fly for 25min.
Is there any trick to hover this BUG? Thanks. Lini