SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
Discussion
What do you do ?

I have multiple model helicopters on one radio , and i forgot what switches did what . i thought i set them up all the same but i guess not , almost had an accident

i cant be the only one ? what do you guys or gals do .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Decide on a standard and follow it. With most radios, there is an obvious way to set it up. For example, the throttle hold switch on my X9503 is on the right side - so I put my flight mode switch on the left. I use flight modes for my gyro setting, so I don't have a switch for that. I only need throttle hold and flight modes on a switch and since TH is on the right, I put FM on the left. For dual rates and expo, I also use flight modes - so for example, I will have three flight modes - one normal mode and full rates, one idle-up with low rates, and one idle-up with full rates. That's all I need - try to minimize your settings so you don't have a lot of combinations - for example, using the individual dual rate switches leads to 8 different combinations (000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111) - and 6 of those combinations are probably never going to be used. So, simplify things by using flight modes for your rates. Set up all your helis the same way.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Decide on a standard and follow it. With most radios, there is an obvious way to set it up. For example, the throttle hold switch on my X9503 is on the right side - so I put my flight mode switch on the left. I use flight modes for my gyro setting, so I don't have a switch for that. I only need throttle hold and flight modes on a switch and since TH is on the right, I put FM on the left. For dual rates and expo, I also use flight modes - so for example, I will have three flight modes - one normal mode and full rates, one idle-up with low rates, and one idle-up with full rates. That's all I need - try to minimize your settings so you don't have a lot of combinations - for example, using the individual dual rate switches leads to 8 different combinations (000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111) - and 6 of those combinations are probably never going to be used. So, simplify things by using flight modes for your rates. Set up all your helis the same way.
+1 jazz is right on the money here jombo
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
well the first problem . i got a new radio , i went from the futaba 7C to the futaba 8FG Super. there is one of my problems . then i rushed to program 8 helis in and resetting all the swashes on each . thats the 2nd problem. the 3rd problem is i programmed scale and 3D with the same switches but on the 3D it uses different positions and all the positions. but i have all of them using the same throttle hold switch .
now what happened was the last heli programmed was 3D 450 pro , and i went to go fly the EC135 RED BULL scale heli and the switches were in the 3D settings . so all my idle up and HH and rate settings were messed up . i figured it out after the second time i went to go take off and the tail wasn't holding .

jasmine2501 , i agree , but i cant remember all those settings since the scale ones don't use idle up or HH . for now because the futaba 8 is different than the Futaba 7 i have a little black book of what settings each heli's are and what switch does what till i can remember . the next step is to make removable labels for the switches . i would put the labels in the heli canopy and when i go to use it i would slide them on. that's what i did for the 7c when i was learning how to use it.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
jasmine2501 , i agree , but i cant remember all those settings since the scale ones don't use idle up or HH \
Set it up anyway. I never fly in normal mode, but I set it up anyway.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Set it up anyway. I never fly in normal mode, but I set it up anyway.
+1 idle1 all the way.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:04 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
i guess i could copy all of them the same so it wouldn't matter what switch it was on thanks guys
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
The gist of what I was pointing out is that you can set up all your helicopters the same way regardless of what kind of thing it is. Don't use the dual rate switches and the gyro gain switch - put everything in your flight modes. That way, the only switches you ever need to operate are throttle hold and flight mode - put those on opposite sides.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
i do that already , on the 8 its all on one side (the left switches ) i changed them to the right. but i have HH and rate for the 3D and scale on one 3 position switch on the left . this is where it was getting messed up . now i just copy the gyro to the 3D side switches so their together instead of on the same switch for gyro only . its easier to do than say so i will leave it at that . one of the things i am finding out about the 8 is you can do just about anything you want with all the switches , as long as you reset everything off first or disable it . for some reason everything is programed on with factory settings including idle up 1,2,3 . so if you dont know and go setup your heli in normal to test it and hit the wrong switch , run for cover
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
I still think you're making it more complicated than necessary. When you fly, you should only have two switches to operate - the throttle hold and the flight mode.

Let's say you have a scale helicopter and you always fly it in normal mode with rate mode on the gyro - what would be the point of setting up a gyro switch? And, since you have 3 flight modes, what is the point of using the dual rate switches? Set up low rates in FM0, high rates in FM1 and FM2 and an auto-rotation pitch curve in TH mode, set the gyro gain appropriate for each mode, and that's it.

Is that what you do? (tip: don't think of the switch as an idle-up switch. The flight mode can be anything you want, it doesn't have to be idle-up mode. You can have three normal modes if you want).
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
this radio you really can do anything you want . you can have one position of the switch to do everything or all the switches do do something separate . it only has 1 single position switch (throttle hold) and one 2 position switch (normal and idle up 1) . all the rest have 3 positions. the funny thing is you can set in the radio up to 5 positions but no 5 position switch . it will take me about another month of using the radio to remember what i programed in without looking at my cheat sheets . or as you say my flight modes its hard to remember flight modes when the radio says on the screen idle up
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Yeah I know the capabilities of it. I'm just saying don't ever use more than two switches in your setup. Put your dual rates, expo, and gyro gain into the flight modes. Set up all your helicopters the same way. I set up FM0 as normal mode with high rates, FM1 as idle-up with a v-curve and high rates, and FM2 as idle-up with a flat curve and high rates. I set up all my helicopters that way - from the mCPx to the Trex 500. If I have a weird bird like the mQX, I do it so that any habitual movements (like hitting throttle hold) still make sense. I'm using a 9503, but the DX8 has similar capability.

The other thing I do is purely mental. I put each type of aircraft in a different area of my head, so to speak, so I don't do things like "punch the collective" on an airplane or "pull up" in a helicopter.