HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Question
I'm officially a foam pilot!! now the questions...

Ok, i couldnt wait and this morning i took the Champ up for its and mine maiden voyage. The wind was essentially none, very very little at all. I did Have to hand launch from the ball field as the dirt was too thick. had virtually no problems, about 5 almost perfect landings, (1 went nose down when it hit a rock). I even pulled off a few loops, The plane is still scratch free!!

Now the issues i need help with, the trim to get it flying smooth. It seems like the rudder is fine as the plane moves hardly left or right at all unless commanded to, but

the elevator is what needs fixing. the plane wants to always shoot straight up, a few times it was easier to just loop the plane then to correct it and chance a stall. As its flying forgive the term, it dolphins up and down. I have to hold the elevator control about 3/4 of the way up the stick to get it to fly smooth and level. I did try the trim tabs on the controller but maxed it out and its still doing it..
make any sense? whats my next step?
thx
bm2
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
is cog centre of gravity correct??
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
I have no clue and no clue how to check it, it came straight from the box
bm2
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
read the info book with it you should find it in there somewhere....cog
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Tape a coin underneath the front of the plane. Start with a dime and work your way up as needed. Sounds like the engine is not mounted with enough down thrust. Is this a new plane or used?
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
brand new, when i'm looking at the elevator should it be tilted up slightly? or exactly even? i'm assuming even but not for sure, it is angled up a little bit so i figured that was where the problem was, not weight, but what do i know im new to this! lol
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
needs to be level,not upward or downward.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok so i'll check that and also would the battery placement make any difference on them? there is a little wiggle room for it, but didnt know if it would make any difference
bm2
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
yes battery placement affects the cog,put it as far forward as you can and work backwards till you get it flying as you want it..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
All else fails tape the dime under the cowl. Elevator should be level though. Either use trim on remote to level it or use tweezers, small plyers, etc to adjust the wire where it bends that controls elevator until even.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
did you find the recommended cog in info book, put two marks under wing where it suggests and using two pencils balance it on the marks.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ok i'll check the trim again, i might have to tweez it, i'm thinking i maxed it out on the controller already trying to fix it. and the battery forward, i'll try the cog with and without the dime and see what happens. i havent checked the cog yet as i just came off a 12 hr night shift, so i'm sure i'll mess it up, that i'll do when im not tired lol
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Measure the wing width and measure back on the bottom of the wing 1/4 of that distance and put small marks with a magic marker. Now pick up the plane with your fingertips on those marks. The plane should look level. Normally you move the batt. back and forth to get the CG. Many planes have a U bend in the pushrod wires for mechanical adjustments. If you ran out of adjustment with the trimmer on the trans, bend the U a bit to get more down elev. and reset your trimmer to neutral, then test fly it again. These adjustments should be set with the throttle at about half, or cruising speed.. With everything set right, it should climb gradually with full throttle. Another adjustment is with motor downthrust, but you shouldn't have to do that with a RTF plane.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Horizon Champ? If so, the CG is fine out of the box with the stock battery. Adjust your elevator so it is level, and if that isn't enough, slightly down. You can use the radio to do it, or spread the loop in the wire near the elevator out to push the elevator down.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
OK ill try that and if it didn't fix the problem I'll let ya'll know. Thx for the help all of you! By next week will I be ready for a turbine? Lol,

When it first took off I was like a 36 yr old into a 12 yr old, this is gonna be a great hobby!