Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Discussion
HW Platinum Pro 40A ESC - strange governor behaviour

Found this old thread with exactly my problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by penne View Post
Hi I power my gaui 425 with this esc.

Got a Strange behaviour. Up to 40% Throtlle it increases Headspeed, but if i go higher lets say 60% the headspeed goes even lower than on 40%.

The Throttle is not reversed.

Switched from low to high governor, still this problem, any ideas?
I have a Platinum Pro 40A, but I ran into the exact same issue.
Up to a point (~40%) I can hear the headspeed increasing, then it will start to drop and almost feels like the maximum is around 40%. Very difficult to even just hover like that, need to be at 80% stick for that. Feels like it's reversed or something.
If I disable the governor mode, everything is okay, and i can get to fairly high headspeeds with the throttle close to max.

Anyone had a similar issue?
Milo. is offline Find More Posts by Milo.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo. View Post
Found this old thread with exactly my problem:

I have a Platinum Pro 40A, but I ran into the exact same issue.
Up to a point (~40%) I can hear the headspeed increasing, then it will start to drop and almost feels like the maximum is around 40%. Very difficult to even just hover like that, need to be at 80% stick for that. Feels like it's reversed or something.
If I disable the governor mode, everything is okay, and i can get to fairly high headspeeds with the throttle close to max.

Anyone had a similar issue?
Let me start by saying that I don't have this particular ESC, but use governor mode in all of my helis using a different brand.

Typically using a governor requires a flat curve of the same value such 80,80,80,80 or whatever values gives your the RPM you are after.

My governor will behave badly if I try and use any curve that uses different values across the curve. This means that I must use throttle hold to start and stop the heli rotor and it works great with this type of setup. If I try and usesomething like 0,20,80,80,80 for instance, the RPM will spit and sputter and kick because the changing values as I raise the stick are really confusing the governor which is trying to lock in on one value.

The point of the governor is for it to adjust the RPM depending on the load on the rotor and replace your throttle curve which does the same thing. You should not be using it in conjunction with a normal throttle curve if that is what you are doing.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
I use the HW 40 platnim pro without issues, I use a flat throtle curve of 95% . I switch to stunt one at half throttle and the govenor works great.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
I tried this with a throttle curve of 0,85,85,85,85.
What you're saying is I should go for 85,85,85,85,85? That would mean having a non-zero value for throttle down, which seems mighty dangerous to me. Throttle hold is nice, but if that's the only thing keeping the rotor from spinning... I don't know.

I'll give it a try though and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo. View Post
I tried this with a throttle curve of 0,85,85,85,85.
What you're saying is I should go for 85,85,85,85,85? That would mean having a non-zero value for throttle down, which seems mighty dangerous to me. Throttle hold is nice, but if that's the only thing keeping the rotor from spinning... I don't know.

I'll give it a try though and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
That's how it it is when you fly in idle up. There is never any point on the throttle curve that the blades aren't moving and you start and stop using only the throttle hold switch. Make sure you have the ESC set to slow start or you could destroy the main gear teeth!!!!!!

It's worth going it a shot to see if the rotor spins up and maintains RPM. There should no change in RPM with any throttle stick movement or position. Just make sure you don't have the stick bottomed out when you flick TH off and fire up the rotor or you may be jamming the heli down into the ground with negative pitch.

I always move my stick to mid point or wherever you have zero pitch before firing the blades up.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Apr 12, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Thanks, I'll try this out as soon as the weather gives me a chance...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Tried idle up, still not really happy with the results. Worked better in Gov-high than Gov-low, but still was pretty inconsistent. Maybe it's timing or PWM...
I'll stick to curves in the meantime.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
75 Posts
I have the HW 40A Platinum and I am using
a normal TC of 0, 80, 80, 80, 80
and a flat curve of 84, 84, 84, 84, 84 for Idle Up.
It works great.

The Gov mod of this ESC
is activated above 60% throttle.
So even in normal mode, the gov mode
is engaged before the throttle stick reaches
the mid stick position, where the pitch is
usually zero putch.

This kind of normal TC was proposed to me by
Finless Bib at HF
, for an extra safety
apart from having to use the TH swsitch.
Dimitris K is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris K
Old May 10, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, TX, Cinco Ranch
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Milo,

Dx8
I have same problem as you faced.
Well now I'm not at home yet to try, I flew to my wife place, and be back few days later. But I have a thought in my mind that;
Set your ESC hight speed governor.

Throttle curve Try in normal IDLE up:
0-35-50-50-50 .
Stop at the Percent that gives you High headspeed only for normal IDLE

IDLE 1:
Give it Straight
85-85-85-85-85

IDLE 2:
95-95-95-95-95 or 100-100-100-100-100

Don't do like this when u governor
95-95-80-95-95 this might don't for some governor ESC

Let me know If it's work.