HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:47 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,012 Posts
Discussion
Electric 'go fast' motor for a Swist

OK so as I await the imminent arrival of my Swist and its 10x23 prop my attention turns to power trains to drag it around the sky.
The manufacturers choice would be the kontronic Kira 480-34 on 5S and tests on this set up have come back at 340-360kmh (225mph) at around 60A continuous and 100A at start.
I do not want to push the airframe like Sebbe with his turbine powered one. Nor do i want to variate much from the standard install and linkages.
The model is for sport flying not F5D so I am unrestricted by power consumption.

What do you think? How about the higher KV Kira's?

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Hi Andy,
I'm very much interested in similar setups and have started to collect info in my blog. Consequently I would be interested in where you got the data you referenced!

I'm concerned about how useful some of the powertrain information being provided by the prop manufacturers for us sportfliers who expect our motors to last more than a few flights, don't live in arctic conditions or don't want to spray our motors with freon before we fly. I even know someone who has recently burnt two Kira's testing double overpitch props for pylon racing.

So what am I saying?

Please post any good data you come across, as I know there is a few of us very interested!
I think you would want a lower kV Kira, not higher kV
Maybe a larger geared motor might be a better long term bet than a 480 sized motor. What that motor is, I'm still searching!

I suspect until more of us buy and test some of these prop and motor combinations, we won't really know.

Cheers
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Last edited by Peter M; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:53 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,839 Posts
I'm not really in to outrunners(yet) but I've seen impressive results with the Kontronik pyro motors and I have my self tried a "small" Scorpion 4035 at 6kW with no problem at all. Thinking one of the Scorpion motor of the right weight would be a good option. Cutting the nose mounting it F3S style. I do not know if the powercroco range are available or which sizes, they seem bullet proof too.

http://www.powercroco.de/fliegerspeed.html
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke