HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Any suggestions for a 4-CH beginner FP heli?

I'm looking for a 4 Channel Mini or Micro FP heli that can be flown indoors or outdoors. Something where parts are fairly cheap and easy to find, and also something that has options to upgrade the stock battery to extended batteries for longer flight times. I prefer 2.4GHz since I like to fly a pretty good distance away.

What would you recommend? I have no intention of progressing to a 6-channel at any point, going "pro" or anything like that. Just something to putz around with. But I want it to be 'good' and fly stable. I'm generally trying to stay under the $100 price range, if I can.

Actually, I have done more research and I'm interested in the Nine Eagles company. Specifically, the 228P and 328. Can anyone comment on which would be better?

Also, what company has the best (fastest) shipping? Trying to get a gift for someone and I need more shipping options for expediting, if possible. Thanks.
singingstrings is offline Find More Posts by singingstrings
Last edited by singingstrings; Apr 11, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
They were made by Schluter
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
33 Posts
Most will need a mico for indoors so for a 4 channel micro FP consider both 9958’s and V911’s. I would offer the v911 may have a slight edge over the 9958 in that it is easier to fly more smoothly out of the box and has superior tail authority. However the 9958 may be cheaper and easier to acquire in the US, and the 9958 is faster if you have the room to open her up with a broader upgrade path I believe. Both are great values in that each offer very inexpensive platforms on which to learn both aircraft orientation and 4 channel stick control and both will survive many crashes while only requiring the occasional $5 part replacement. Either one delivered under $50 RTF. Oh yes, they are both great fun too!
HeliStar is offline Find More Posts by HeliStar
Last edited by HeliStar; Apr 11, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
or the blade MSRx more expensive but huge fun, both indoors and out
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
I still consider myself a beginner flyer. I currently have Walkera heli's. I'm just a fan of their products so far. I know there are a lot of varying opinions out there about them, but as for me I have had great service. I am flying their V100D01 FP for indoor flying now. But I got this as my second indoor heli. I actually started with a Nine Eagle Bravo SX. They key difference is the flybar on these heli's. The V100D01 doesn't have a flybar, so it makes turning and balance a bit harder and can be easy to get away from you. But the V100D01 is definitely more fun to fly and its very smooth and responsive.

One last suggestion is to get their Genius FP 4Ch which is due to release very soon. It is lighter than the V100D01 and should resist crashes more. Although I have to say that my
V100D01 has been extremely durable for me. It has survived many crashes around the house.

I got all of my heli's from WOWHobbies.com. I find them to be excellent and they keep a good stock of repair parts. Best of all, they usually ship out by priority mail. I'm on the east coast in the US and WOWHobbies is on the west coast. I can still get my shipments in 2 days.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my experience as I am also a beginner flyer.
wguyth is offline Find More Posts by wguyth
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingstrings View Post
I'm looking for a 4 Channel Mini or Micro FP heli that can be flown indoors or outdoors. Something where parts are fairly cheap and easy to find, and also something that has options to upgrade the stock battery to extended batteries for longer flight times. I prefer 2.4GHz since I like to fly a pretty good distance away.
Hands down, V911 or 9958. As cheap as $45 shipped to USA. May be more in your country. V911 is from China only. You may find a 9958 locally. Parts are cheap and plentiful, just have to wait 3 weeks or more to get them.

You will not find something that flies indoors and still "fly a pretty good distance away". After 15 meters you can't see a micro or mini well enough to fly it.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
I have the nine eagles Draco, Bravo III, SX, And Solo Pro and I think they're fantastic!
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingstrings View Post
I'm looking for a 4 Channel Mini or Micro FP heli that can be flown indoors or outdoors.
I'll offer my suggestions. The various helis all have their strengths and weaknesses.

- Great Wall Xieda 9958 (also sold as Hobby King HK-190)
PROS: very inexpensive ($30-40), very fast, sturdy, parts readily available
CONS: tends to slide in the turns; cannot handle wind outdoor

- WL Toys V911
PROS: very inexpensive ($30-40), maneuverable, fast, parts readily available (apart from receiver it's a clone of the Solo Pro 260)
CONS: some parts are fragile; cannot handle much wind outdoor

- Nine Eagles Solo Pro 260/Bravo SX
PROS: inexpensive ($40-70), maneuverable, fast, parts readily available
CONS: some parts are fragile; cannot handle much wind outdoor

- Nine Eagles Solo Pro 270
PROS: somewhat inexpensive ($60-80), maneuverable, fast, very stable
CONS: new heli, spare parts are often not available yet; cannot handle much wind outdoor

- Nine Eagles Solo Pro 228
PROS: large enough to handle breezes and wind gusts outdoor
CONS: expensive ($120-140); a little too large for indoor flying; has gotten bad reviews; a little too large for beginners

- Nine Eagles Solo Pro 328
PROS: can handle indoor/outdoor flying; large enough to handle breezes outdoor
CONS: somewhat expensive ($80-100); must be modified to tap whole potential; a little too large for beginners

- Double Horse 9116
PROS: can handle indoor/outdoor flying; sturdy; large enough to handle breezes outdoor
CONS: somewhat expensive ($80-100); cheap electronics; a little too large for beginners

Surely there are others, but these are the ones I own or know about. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Also, what company has the best (fastest) shipping? Trying to get a gift for someone and I need more shipping options for expediting, if possible. Thanks.
That depends entirely on where you are, how much money you spend on shipping, and what you consider "fast delivery."
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,159 Posts
Solo Pro 328

V-Man,
Thanks for info. I have Drift King 4 ch co/ax and two 9958's. Enjoying them all. Just pulled trigger on a Solo Pro 328 from Hobby King. They had it in USA warehouse. Wanted something a little bigger with bigger battery. Working at it and getting better each day. Plus local H/S has a simulator with heli's on it. My freind works there so no problem there. Heli's are fun and perfect for me. No more long trips to field for fixed wing. No more fuel cleanup etc. Plus save a bunch on gas.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
V-Man,
Thanks for info.
My pleasure. Keep in mind other models may be available, these are merely the ones that came to mind.

Quote:
Just pulled trigger on a Solo Pro 328 from Hobby King.
I have two, they are good helicopters. They get better if you slightly modify them. Adding 1-2 grams to each end of the flybar is pretty much mandatory if you want to push the flight envelope.

I highly advise that you check out the official SP328 thread. It's long but it will save you a lot of time and headaches.

Quote:
No more long trips to field for fixed wing. No more fuel cleanup etc. Plus save a bunch on gas.
I keep a log of all my flying and helis just passed fixed wings in overall flying hours. It helps that I have a cavernous den and can fly my micro-helis at home every day, whereas as you said planes require day trips...
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,159 Posts
Solo pro 328

Thanks agian for heads up on 328. Several years ago I tried to learn with Honey Bee King 2 and a Heli-Max Aze C/P. Indoors !! Broke a few parts but was easy on power. Repaired them and put away. Now using mico-heli's and much, much better. I know what I did wrong and moving foward slowly. I hate to break anything due to stupid . Modern Heli's are amazing and enjoy messing with them.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04