HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
DNZ
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
Tricycle Landing Gear

I am setting up a tricycle landing gear on a plane with a 27 inch long fuselage. Any ideas on how far apart the nose wheel should be from the main landing gear? Is there any general rule of thumb when installing?
DNZ is offline Find More Posts by DNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
Its the rear wheels that are most critical. They need to be just behind the centre of gravity, so that only a bit of up elevator is needed to make the plane rotate and take off. Usually the nose gear is just behind the motor, but this is not critical.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,121 Posts
And it's a good idea to not have too much throw,of course..full deflection should yield about a 8 ' circle...
the aircraft should sit level,not nose down.If too much elevator is required ,it'll 'leap' off the runway into a steep climb.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Feb 23, 2014, 03:15 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,454 Posts
Had to post my experiences on this after working out the bugs in a scratchbuilt....

It bears mentioning that the placement of the mains is ALSO to reduce the weight on the nose gear; it makes a big difference preventing damage to the nose gear and reduces the tendency for the nose gear to be squirrely. I can push the tail down on mine with a lot less force now and the plane doesn't fall on it's tail until I tip it way back.

I also believe that the further forward the nose gear is, the less impact it will receive when the nose sets down, kinda like less lever effect on the nose gear.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat