SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Help!
Tx/Rx replacing, PLEASE HELP

OK. SO let me begin by saying that I have spent countless hours attempting to troubleshoot this problem on my own. I have scoured the web looking for any and all available information regarding this issue. So here it is. I have an E-Flite Apprentice, stock RTF version. It comes with the Spektrum DX5e transmitter and an AR600 rx of the same manufacturer. I ordered an FPV camera from nitroplanes.com and shortly thereafter learned that it would be nearly impossible to use with the Apprentice because the camera also transmits at 2.4ghz, same frequency as the dx5e. I dug around in my barrel o' goodies and found an old 4-channel tx/rx from an Exceed-rc f-35 that i no longer have. Long story short, the tx/rx that i found transmits on a 32FM frequency. I decided to try and put this receiver into the Apprentice, but the closest I got to functionality was throttle control, and nothing else. I am hoping that with the pictures I am posting here someone may be able to tell me if my attempts are futile, if this is never going to work, or if I'm simply doing something wrong.

As far as i can see, the apprentice has the exact same channels as the f-35 did. I am pulling my hair out on this one because usually I am able to do the research myself and answer my own questions. Hopefully someone more experienced will see this and be able to help me out. Fingers crossed!
Tutexx is offline Find More Posts by Tutexx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:33 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
The best choice might be return the 2.4GHz FPV device to the seller and get an 1.2GHZ or 950mHz one instead. If you intend to use the 2.4GHz FPV, now you have to keep all servos unchanged on your plane, and plug one of the servos first into the 32FM receiver to see which port is the exact function you need, then the others later. Also you have to switch the normal-rev switches for the movements that the servo/servos work in wrong directions. Probably the 32FM receiver comes with different function ports so only the throttle one works for you correctly, otherwise there might have been something wrong on it.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. However, i have a whole new problem now. When I went to put the plane back together with the stock receiver and transmitter, i lost all control. I tried re binding the rx and tx to no avail. Now, with stock receiver i only have throttle control, a solid red light on the ar600 rx and sounds coming from the servos. I have no clue what to do now. I know i have everything plugged in properly (positive, negative, etc...) but it just doesn't want to work. Im planning on taking it in to my local rc shop, they offer service there and maybe one of them can show me whats wrong with it. This is all very frustrating because i really havent done anything to the electronics of the aircraft aside from disconnecting everything from the AR600. I plugged everything back into it exactly as it was and now its not working.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,723 Posts
As to the binding issue,have you put you throttle trim all the way down to the bottom? if not that may help.

Might be worth a try because i remember doing the same sort of thing a few years ago and the throttle trim is what was giving me the trouble.

Let us know how you get on as it might help someone else out.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Didnt think of that actually, as I had reset all of the trims to neutral prior to the binding procedure. One moment, let me try that and I'll post if it works.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
No joy.

When powered on, with only the throttle (ESC) plugged in, as you can hear in the beginning, it works fine. But when the elevator and rudder are plugged, failure ensues. I have also tried this procedure by unplugging the battery, reconnecting everything, then plugging it back in, still fail.

I don't get it. About to take her over to to my local hobby shop. The guys there specialize in RC airplanes and the sort so maybe they will show us something we are missing. Until then I guess I'll just keep scratching my head and trying new things.

Ive posted a video of the situation here (hope this works for you):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post21299565
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED.

I owe many thanks to the gentleman at Field's Hobby Center in Cheektowaga, New York. They were so incredibly helpful and had my bird back in flight-ready condition in less than half an hour.

Anyways, the problem turned out to be a fried BEC component within the ESC. This conclusion was reached after a great deal of trial and error and troubleshooting attempts.

Just glad those guys were able to help me, and cant wait to get flying today!

Tut
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Thanks for coming back with the fix, we all learn.

What do the rest of you think of this idea .... had we suggested to test with a voltmeter at the receiver, there should have been a voltage reading on the neg and positive pins. In hindsight, my guess is there was no voltage coming from the BEC section in the ESC going to the receiver. There should be a small voltage (approx. 5V) for the servos. The last ESC I tested delivered 5.5 V to the RX.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
True enough, I was taught to ALWAYS check the basics first.
Didn't stop me from nearly frying 4 receivers once when I had a bec that had been wired backwards (at the factory). They didn't like 12+ volts feeding them.

Should have been the first thing I checked, ended up being the last.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
It shows the value of the LHS.Perhaps we should consider if it really is worth saving a little buying on-line when we could be supporting real stores locally.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
My LHS offers price match so all I have to do next time I see something I need online for a good price, I'll print it out and bring it in and if they have it they will honor that price.

A little off topic though.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutexx View Post
OK. SO let me begin by saying that I have spent countless hours attempting to troubleshoot this problem on my own. I have scoured the web looking for any and all available information regarding this issue. So here it is. I have an E-Flite Apprentice, stock RTF version. It comes with the Spektrum DX5e transmitter and an AR600 rx of the same manufacturer. I ordered an FPV camera from nitroplanes.com and shortly thereafter learned that it would be nearly impossible to use with the Apprentice because the camera also transmits at 2.4ghz, same frequency as the dx5e. I dug around in my barrel o' goodies and found an old 4-channel tx/rx from an Exceed-rc f-35 that i no longer have. Long story short, the tx/rx that i found transmits on a 32FM frequency. I decided to try and put this receiver into the Apprentice, but the closest I got to functionality was throttle control, and nothing else. I am hoping that with the pictures I am posting here someone may be able to tell me if my attempts are futile, if this is never going to work, or if I'm simply doing something wrong.

As far as i can see, the apprentice has the exact same channels as the f-35 did. I am pulling my hair out on this one because usually I am able to do the research myself and answer my own questions. Hopefully someone more experienced will see this and be able to help me out. Fingers crossed!
FWIW - Spread Spectrum systems work nothing like older RC systems. You can use a 2.4 GHZ FPV with the Spektrum TX/RX that came with your Aprentice.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
How sure of this are you?

I have heard from many sources on the forums that the 2.4ghz frequencies will interfere with each other. Let me tell you my specs first, then maybe you can offer further insight...

I have a Spektrum Dx5e Tx with an AR600 DSMX Rx (the stock setup of the Apprentice). The FPV setup is this http://www.nitroplanes.com/wosmlora24gh.html

Check that out and let me know what you think. I have had many people on here, as i said, indicate to me that this will not work. I planned on ground testing extensively on my own to learn the answers.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I know posting the specs might be a little redundant since they're right there but i thought it would be a little easier to have them readily available for you in my post.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutexx View Post
How sure of this are you?

I have heard from many sources on the forums that the 2.4ghz frequencies will interfere with each other. Let me tell you my specs first, then maybe you can offer further insight...

I have a Spektrum Dx5e Tx with an AR600 DSMX Rx (the stock setup of the Apprentice). The FPV setup is this http://www.nitroplanes.com/wosmlora24gh.html

Check that out and let me know what you think. I have had many people on here, as i said, indicate to me that this will not work. I planned on ground testing extensively on my own to learn the answers.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I know posting the specs might be a little redundant since they're right there but i thought it would be a little easier to have them readily available for you in my post.
Have I ever given you a bum steer before? Please keep in mind that there is a lot of well meaning, but misunderstood or misguided information floating around the forums. I am an aerospace engineer and I do this stuff for a living. To get a little more insight on SS check out: http://sss-mag.com/ss.html#tutorial
No radio system is perfectly bullet proof, but SS systems come pretty darn close. In order to get maximum performance/reliability from your setup the TX and RX need to be Spektrum DSMX. I don't think the DX5e cuts it.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
E-Flite Apprentice FTW
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Sorry, didnt mean to offend anyone. Youll have to understand that i have no idea who you are, so "have i ever given you a bum steer before" really isnt applicable because i've never actually asked anything of you before. Also, you said yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by whanderson View Post
keep in mind that there is a lot of well meaning, but misunderstood or misguided information floating around the forums.
That being said, i simply wanted to cover myself and find out exactly how sure you were of your advice. I had no idea that you were an aerospace engineer, but thats awesome.

Anyways...

The AR600 rx is indeed DSMX, as is the model of Dx5e that i have. I looked online as well as at the radio itself and it says on there "2.4gHz spread spectrum technology" with a big "DSMX" next to the mixer switches. That being said, I should be alright to use these devices at the same time as a 2.4ghz FPV camera (according to your well-backed advice).

I have to thank you for giving me some hope here. I thought i had done enough research but wasnt sure, so i posted my questions in an fpv forum. Basically everyone predicted a catastrophic crash. After listening to those guys, i had decided to cut my losses and find another application for the camera, but now im back to the original plan. All i need now is the DVR!

Thanks