HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
The V design of the servo arm is there to add some mechanical differential to the ailerons. The aileron that moves down should move less than the one that moves up. If they move the same the wing with the aileron moving down can cause adverse yaw effect. It can add drag that tries to pull the plane out of the turn your are attempting.

I think your 2 servo idea is a good one as you would be able to program in the desired differential with your radio. What you get with the V setup is a fixed amount.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Thanks for the Info Asosestrom, I was just assuming if both didnt move the same it would not roll very axial ! Geez Im 30 pages into the Switchback revival thread and of course lots of the mods have already been thot of and I guess there is an earlier and later version? I got mine used and the manual front pages says Jan 31,2002 Last Revised March 24,2003, copyright 2002-2006 Douglas Binder, Mountain Models. So is this kit at least a 2006 but not a newer one that may come with a battery tray or shelf if such an animal exists? hope to have things installed and adjusted in the next day or two
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:45 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
After looking at your pictures it's a V2 SwitchBack that you have. The major difference was in the wing design. The V1 used conventional top and bottom square spars where the V2 has a laser cut "I beam" construction. There were minor changes to the fuse too. Neither version is really better than the other in my opinion. I've had 9 SwitchBacks. I keep building them just because they're great little planes.

None of the versions had a battery tray. HERE is how I've modified every one of mine with a battery tray and magnet mount canopy.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Well I got the batt shelf built out of thick balsa, ran some thin ply strips on the bottom for even more strength, boxed the top of the landing gear hole, holy crap what a pain to do AFTER the build I also put some thin ply over the bolt on wing front tab joint to hopefully make her extra strong. In post 11 you can see whats under the front ply tab before I finished the epoxy sandwich!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:14 AM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
I do notice now even when everything seemed straight and flat i get some warpage, extra ribs in the tail feathers, carbon fiber here and there might really help keep things straight when the covering wants to try to pull all directions when heated. Finally got through the Switchback revival thread, wish I would have found and read that all before construction, dang now I have to build another one or more......? Oh also I never put a wire loop for the tail wheel in earlier, so I just bent one out of control rod and epoxied it on bottom, hope this works for a while. I used the small ez connectors on one end instead of messing with double wire busines, Im guessing others might do the same? OH and little ez connectors also make great tail wheel stops! I will have to see if a wheel collar is even made that scmall
Last edited by czechyour6; Apr 18, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:24 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6 View Post
dang now I have to build another one or more......?
SwitchBacks are like potato chips. Nobody can have just one.

Joe
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Well this porker is coming out at 14.2 oz , I guess they still are suppose to fly great at this weight, CG seems to be coming out on the dot prob 1/8 behind the spar to the back edge with a 3 cell GensAce 1000mah batt. The landing gear sure is tall, probably great for big props, wonder if a GWS ME109 main gear would be lighter and good nuff for the 8" props ... ? may have to tinker with that later but for now the gear probably helps with the CG
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
I don't remember weighing them but I've flown with heavy packs like 10 Kan Nimh cells and 3S 2100mah LiPo. Never an issue other than being more stable in the wind. I normally use 3S 1300mah packs though. Don't sweat the weight. I know some have built sub 10 ounce A.U.W. birds though.

Joe
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I don't remember weighing them but I've flown with heavy packs like 10 Kan Nimh cells and 3S 2100mah LiPo. Never an issue other than being more stable in the wind. I normally use 3S 1300mah packs though. Don't sweat the weight. I know some have built sub 10 ounce A.U.W. birds though.

Joe
You will be fine. For giggles you could buy some 3s600 to get the weight down.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
SwitchBacks are like potato chips. Nobody can have just one.

Joe
Hehe. My second Switchback kit sat unattended for several months but is finally framed up and ready for covering. Problem is, I need to think of a covering scheme, it's gotta be something nice, but that usually means WORK. First SB was covered entirely in translucent red and I know from hard experience that won't cut it. Even so I'm looking forward to flying a Switchback again, I'll never forget how much fun I had with the first one.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:38 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
Rafe, I can blast out a build but I take 5 times longer agonizing over a covering scheme. After all that time I still end up with something plain and uninspiring. Oh well, if it's a SwitchBack at least I now it's going to fly great even if it's ugly.

Joe
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Rafe B, make sure to post some pics, Thats how I came up with colors, Saw an Orange roll half off in the hobby store, then wanted a transparent color for the wing so saw the blue and then I figured I might as well go with a Denver Broncos theme , I just need to finish some Elway markings and maybe stuff his face under the glass as the pilot
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
To give an idea of how adaptive the SwitchBack design is I scratch built a 75% version about 6 years ago with no attention paid to weight savings and it flew awesome even though it weighed as much as a full size. I need to get it out there again. It was fun....

I'm thinking about doing another 75% but this time working to keep the weight down. I have all the templates around here somewhere. Better dig them out. This is starting to sound like my next project..........

Here are a few pictures of the 75%'er.

Joe
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:16 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Looks like you did the 3D wing. Sport wing would be trickier to build, but rewarding none the less.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Looks like you did the 3D wing. Sport wing would be trickier to build, but rewarding none the less.

Jim,

That is the sport wing. I also built a 3D wing but never covered it. It's still sitting here ready to go. All the excess weight is in the fuse so I can still use these wings as they're pretty light weight.

Joe