Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
fun = win
United States, OR, Sisters
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
Discussion
pi-racer

Started on a new project this weekend after a two year hiatus. Was considering doing another Nutball, but wanted a full fuse. I tripped over the PiYak thread and decided to go that route, but with a Golden Age air racer theme.

So far, here's what I have:

Span: 20" circle
Length: 27"
Height: 6"
Materials: 5mm Cellfoam 88, wood and Gorilla Glue
Motor: Hextronik 24g Blue Wonder 1700k w/prop saver
ESC: generic 10A
Propeller: GWS 9x4.7
Batt: Turnigy 20c 2s800
Servos: 3x HS55 (rudder, elevon)
Receiver: Berg 4L
Transmitter: HiTec Flash 5 (ancient!)
AUW: estimated at 7.5 grams, making...
Wing Loading: 3.44 oz / sq.ft

The pics are the bare bones. I plan to form the fuselage to give it that long rectangular look a lot of the Menasco powered air racers had, with the cockpit way in the back. Stay tuned...
Bearweasel is offline Find More Posts by Bearweasel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:43 AM
fun = win
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
Progress on my racer. The airframe details are coming together, the servos are placed, control horns and pushrods installed.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
fun = win
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
Ready to fly! AUW is an even 8 ounces.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
fun = win
Joined Oct 2004
217 Posts
Got the maiden flights in on Saturday morning. She flew, but climbed way too much, and in a left hand corkscrew... definitely have some thrust line issues. That's okay; one of the elevon hinges popped loose, resulting in a nice split-S right into the ground. Broke the motor mount off the airframe, so I can adjust the thrust line when I reinstall it... and a clean crack at the empennage which I can simply fill with glue, and a rudder hinge came loose. Should be flying by next weekend.