HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Discussion
Any suggestions on a sailplane

Im looking for something thats pretty much RR and preferrably foam. I live in FL, so no mountains or hills and primarily want to use it for a luch time thermal flyer.

I already fly sport, 3D and helis, so keep that in mind
flashprash65 is offline Find More Posts by flashprash65
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,443 Posts
Radian. Complete, just charge the batteries, doesn't need a high start or winch.

Don't bother with the Radian Pro for a first-time sailplane.

Yours, Greg.
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Im already an experienced flyer, i think i would want at least a 4ch. I would think that would be especially helpful when landing
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,690 Posts
Radian, even if you are experienced it is a no-brainer.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Seems like the radian is the all round 1st pic
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,443 Posts
flash:

The Radian is very hard to beat. Get it reciever-ready for a very low price, fly it without a care and if you don't like soaring, let it go to someone else.

You're right about landing, flaps or spoilers will help in hitting a spot. But, here is the thing that most folks forget about gliders: you WILL LAND, guaranteed.

The thing about the Radian Pro is this: the extra servos for ailerons and flaps pretty much add weight, drag and battery drain but the performance advantages are not apparent, at least to me. The performance just isn't an issue with the Radian. It will float away on a thermal pretty much whatever you load into it.

I still haven't owned a Radion myself, but fly alongside them plenty. Rugged and cheap, and will float away on pretty much any gopher fart out there. I don't think they can be beat. I routinely recommend them to others, and no one has ever come back unsatisfied.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:58 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,369 Posts
I love the Original Radian, but my recommendation would depend on your conditions.

1) How windy is your typical flying time?

2) What does your landing area look like? How large?

3) Do you want a RTF including the radio or will you use your own radio?

4) What radio do you have?

Another option is the Phase 3 Phoenix II. This is an aileron e-glider. The RTF comes with an Airtronics 2.4 radio and has been getting good reviews. $250
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-4g-radio.html

Receiver ready - $150
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...tor-decal.html
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr