SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
People not having huge problem with CF doesn't mean it's best material, actually it's a very bad material for receivers and may for FC. There's a reason why receiver manufacture recommend receiver not mounted near CF. We only interested in what's best for Professional applications, robust, long range, peace of mind reception. We have been designing helicams for the past 4 years and flying for over 8 years. All of our helicam crashes are all related to reception problems. And reception related crashes are the worst experience for pilot to go through, because there's nothing you can do.

We are not hiding the weight, it around 5Lbs to 6lbs for the frame, Just can't confirm the actual weight at the moment as we are working the final version at the moment. And can give you guys actual weight in a few days.

We don't mind the extra weight, as it give extra stability in high wind and smoother movement for filming. The frame with all the motors are around 15lb and camera mount and camera is around 21lbs, which is similar weight as our 700/800 helicam. It's actually our target weight to be similar to 700/800 helicams and we also manage to have 15 to 20 lbs of lift.

There's always a trade off with any design, but it's the choice of the designer to determine what is more important and it's buyer's choice, if that design makes sense to them. We choose G10, it adds weight and less flight time. You gain more robust radio reception and higher wind stability and smoother filming platform and cost 30% less. Every buyer will have different needs and there are different products that satisfy your needs.

In my opinion, CF is for 3D not AP. CF's trade off in AP application is not very good in our book.

This is the way we prefer to design it.
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman
Last edited by quadman; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
We shall have to agree to disagree. The interesting thing is that the very very best pro AP guys are using Cinestar and droidworx frames which are CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadman View Post

In my opinion, CF is for 3D not AP. CF's trade off in AP application is not very good in our book.

Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,052 Posts
Quote:
People not having huge problem with CF doesn't mean it's best material, actually it's a very bad material for receivers and may for FC. There's a reason why receiver manufacture recommend receiver not mounted near CF. We only interested in what's best for Professional applications, robust, long range, peace of mind reception. We have been designing helicams for the past 4 years and flying for over 8 years. All of our helicam crashes are all related to reception problems. And reception related crashes are the worst experience for pilot to go through, because there's nothing you can do.

We are not hiding the weight, it around 5Lbs to 6lbs for the frame, Just can't confirm the actual weight at the moment as we are working the final version at the moment. And can give you guys actual weight in a few days.

We don't mind the extra weight, as it give extra stability in high wind and smoother movement for filming. The frame with all the motors are around 15lb and camera mount and camera is around 21lbs, which is similar weight as our 700/800 helicam. It's actually our target weight to be similar to 700/800 helicams and we also manage to have 15 to 20 lbs of lift.

There's always a trade off with any design, but it's the choice of the designer to determine what is more important and it's buyer's choice, if that design makes sense to them. We choose G10, it adds weight and less flight time. You gain more robust radio reception and higher wind stability and smoother filming platform and cost 30% less. Every buyer will have different needs and there are different products that satisfy your needs.

I had a feeling it was heavy. Thats lot of unecessary weight to save money on material.
You should do a little more research. Us multi guys are very well aware what CF can cause signal issues if the RX is completely surrounded by CF(like a dome).
Not sure why you keep mentioning flight controllers though.
Everyone is entitled to there OP but as a frame designer you should understand what you are saying and have something to back it up.
The reason that ALL quality AP frames are CF is if they were G10 they would be tanks and too heavy for AP.
Its not cus it looks pretty.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
We specifically want to use G10 and well aware of the trade off from the very start.

We are working pro rc aerial photographer for many years, our experience leads to G10, not CF. And definitely, not trying to save money on material, as the buyer will be paying, not us.

It's when you crash a $10,000 flying cam due to inferior reception, because CF sounds cooler, till you learn. Been there, done that.

Seriously, If you give us a CF version of our frame, we would not use it as a working platform, it will be a display.
Last edited by quadman; Apr 11, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
No, It's our AeriCam 360 Camera Mount that we been selling for a while. And we are currently working on a heavy duty 3 Axis camera mount for big cameras and also testing a Gyro stabilize camera mount specially for the Aericam multicopters.
Oh I see now, sorry. I've actually seen that mount already, looks very good. I like the dampening idea on the tray.
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
404 Posts
Well to rich for me I am not a pro just a weekend flyer, I fly for fun but I have to say it sure is a really nice looking frame.
vewdew is offline Find More Posts by vewdew
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:54 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Lets try to not be discouraging to someone coming out with something new. Not very friendly I think.
Well said!
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:07 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
683 Posts
quadman: my old field Sierra Point. Used to fly there like 5 years ago where the radio tower was. that was a great field.

good luck with your frame. looks pretty nice.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
quadman: my old field Sierra Point. Used to fly there like 5 years ago where the radio tower was. that was a great field.

good luck with your frame. looks pretty nice.
Should come by sometime. Think I ran into you once while I was flying my heli near Golden Gate Bridge many years back.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Well said!
thank you.

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I've had my finger on the trigger to purchase another Droidworx frame, but I will seriously consider the AeriCam X6.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
thank you.

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I've had my finger on the trigger to purchase another Droidworx frame, but I will seriously consider the AeriCam X6.
If you spend sometime thinking through the arm's shape by bringing the blades closer to center and yet away from electronic parts, you'll realize the design is really nice. As the arms begin to stretch, motor vibration become amplified which ends affecting the sensors and the camera. For me, this was the eye catcher. And also doesn't get affected by wind as a a wider copter would.
..Ben
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Huckfest or bust!
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
If you spend sometime thinking through the arm's shape by bringing the blades closer to center and yet away from electronic parts, you'll realize the design is really nice. As the arms begin to stretch, motor vibration become amplified which ends affecting the sensors and the camera. For me, this was the eye catcher. And also doesn't get affected by wind as a a wider copter would.
..Ben
thanks for the info.
lets also not forget that this frame just looks badass as well
Its got form, function and aesthetic appeal!

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
lets also not forget that this frame just looks badass as well
I thought I'd skip going over the obvious part

You take that thing out in the public and fly it, you need to find a way to get ride of people bugging you and asking you questions...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
Huckfest or bust!
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
I thought I'd skip going over the obvious part

You take that thing out in the public and fly it, you need to find a way to get ride of people bugging you and asking you questions...
does that actually fly?
how much did it cost?
how far away can it fly?
is it easy to fly?
and of course
can I fly it?

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts