HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I have been shooting a lot of stills and comparing the 16mm myself. I do like the quality of stills from the Sigma, I feel that there is a wider "usable" Fstop range with this lens.
I have, like you, also done a few side by side stills with the two lenses. I think the quality-difference is pretty big. If my main focus was taking stills there is no doubt the Sigma does better. The differemces is described in the video-review above but for stills these differences is even more apparent. Sigma is sharper, gives more details and its not so washed out as the Sony 16mm.
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
I have now delivered the Sigmalens back to the store again. I found out, for video, that the lens doesnt give me that extra improvement in videoquality I was looking for.
The store I bought it from, is reporting directly to Sigma now about the focusingproblems so many people has when they shoot video. Its no point having an autofocus lens when you cant use it. Probably the sollution will be a firmwareupdate but it might be that the problem cant be fixed either.

I will, when i get the money, instead buy the "Voigtländer 15mm F4,5 Heliar Asp. II". i have tried it on my nex5n and it is brilliant. It hasnt got autofocus but it is made for manual focus so the manual focus is much easier to control. The lens is also superb when it comes to hyperfocality. The whole image is sharp at f8 and almost infinity focus.
Last edited by babanan; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Yup...I just got my R/A from the camera shop I ordered from. It is going back I did some testing/comparing with my 18-55mm kit lens and at F5.6 at 19mm with infinity focus I can't tell the difference. Heck I might even give the edge to the kit lens. I can live with the couple extra onces until a lens that really shines comes a long. I gave the Sigma a fighting chance but it needs improvement.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by babanan View Post
I have now delivered the Sigmalens back to the store again. I found out, for video, that the lens doesnt give me that extra improvement in videoquality I was looking for.
The store I bought it from is in direct contact with Sigma now reprting the focusingproblems so many people has when they shoot video. Its no point having an autofocus lens when you cant use it. Probably the sollution will be a firmwareupdate but it might be that the problem cant be fixed either.

I will, when i get the money, instead buy the "Voigtländer 15mm F4,5 Heliar Asp. II". i have tried it on my nex5n and it is brilliant. It hasnt got autofocus but it is made for manual focus so the manual focus is much easier to control. The lens is also superb when it comes to hyperfocality. The whole image is sharp at f8 and almost infinity focus.
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
How will you describe the 18-55mm lens compared to the 16mm? What are the main differenses you see? Is the 18-55 much better?

Actually I have both, but I have never tested them up against eachother. I always use the 18-55 on the ground and always the 16mm in the air, so I havent gone in dephts about what differs them quality-wise.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i put my 18-55 in the air this weekend and I love the results... better than the 16mm in my optinion. The 16mm blurs on the edges.

I like it for the weight loss, but i was looking at getting the 30mm and 50mm prime lenses for A/P and A/V work. When i extend the 18-55mm out I get some vibrations in the lens
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
It seems a crying shame that a zoom lens with all it's complexities competes very favourably with a relatively simple construction prime lens!
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:20 AM
niles ohio
Joined Oct 2006
24 Posts
autofocus

just my two cents don't use the autofocus you don't need it with a wide angle
lens keep thing simple
joeyt is offline Find More Posts by joeyt
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
I posted that very point in the early pages of this thread! hyperfocal distance sharp from 5 metres to inf!
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
The reason why I need autofocus is that sometimes I film something 1 meter away and fly to a new position with for example the horizon or maybe 20 meters up in the air.
This old video shows why I need autofocus. Look at the first shot and at 00.58. The hyperfocal distance wont cover both this close and far away. I often do similar shots like these.
a saturday walk (1 min 59 sec)
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt View Post
just my two cents don't use the autofocus you don't need it with a wide angle
lens keep thing simple
Yes you do...trust me, I have tested it and it does not do a good job on different subjects. I will agree about the not needing it on a wide angle but this 19mm IMO is far from what I consider wide. It is more like normal on the sensor we are using. If you are talking 8 to 10mm then this would be different.

Mike
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
babanan, have you installed the new firmware on your NEX-5n?? It states that the autofocus is enhanced/faster after the upgrade. I am just wondering if this would effect the Sigma lens.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...NEX5N_V101_WIN

I sent my Sigma 19mm back but instead of refunding my money they sent me a replacement. I called them and told them I am sending it back again for my refund. I just may do the firmware upgrade and test it before sending it back

Mike
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
babanan, have you installed the new firmware on your NEX-5n?? It states that the autofocus is enhanced/faster after the upgrade. I am just wondering if this would effect the Sigma lens.
When i boght the lens i hadnt upgraded to this firmware-version and I had problems described in this thread. I then upgraded to the version you are reffering to and the problems still was the same. I didnt notice any difference.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
556 Posts
Hey Mike- The link above is for UK versions. Is there any difference from the ones sold in the US? Here is a link for Sony US firmware update: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&os_group_id=6

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Thanks Rob, I was looking for the U.S. link earlier and couldn't find it. I will update with using this link.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
As mentioned earlier, he firmware-update didnt solve the sigma-problem, but you will surely notice the difference with all your lenses when autofocusing. The AF seems to respond much faster.
For aerial use that doesnt mean much because there isnt to much work to do for the AF anyway. Filming on the ground is another story. Actually, for many situations I preferred the old slow autofocus because it looked softer when changing focus-spot. Now, when I change focus, bang, and its there. Its kind of brutal visually for video.

Again I must state thate I am not into photo, because I guess for photo there are only advantages with the upgrade.