HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
I went to fly it at a CoG of 51mm and threw it straight in to the ground at launch . So I moved it back to 56mm and when trimmed out there was a lot of up trim visable. Slowly moved CoG back until there is no trim is visable.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Sorry to here about your uneventful launch, my elevator looks straight. It does however have a slight tendance to want to dive on full power- easily corrected with a throttle to elevator mix.
savneo is online now Find More Posts by savneo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Or you could use a little camber instead of a mix.

The only thing I can think of is that the trailing edge is raised slightly on mine. It sits fine on the wing seat but other than that I've no idea.

It flies well but it's always bugging me that the CoG is so far out.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
I use abont 1mm of up camber in my speed flight mode, seems to have increased straight line speed.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:34 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
I use abont 1mm of up camber in my speed flight mode, seems to have increased straight line speed.
I know up as 'reflex' and down as 'camber', both used commonly in gliders. Up increases speed by pushing the nose down slighty, down increases lift by changing the TE. Both can be used very effectively when you've got it set right.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:14 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Hi can you measure the angle of the motor for me please. I has a motor seize on me and it went in damaging the motor mount. From what I remember it was (looking from the back) facing to the right about 1mm. Measured from the gap of the spinner to the fuselage.
Thanks
Last edited by savneo; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Mines flush with the fuse recess. There's a small lip on the inside as you look at it from the front, mines flush with that all the way around, guess it's set in the mould.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
thanks for that.
Old May 04, 2012, 03:12 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
I'm not too sure about that lip now.

I noticed that my spinner had a little down in it so I started to wonder if the thrust angle was right. So I shimmed the motor up using some small washers and reset the CoG to 55mm. Test flew it today and it seemed ok but under throttle it was pulling the nose down. The spinner was evenly spaced with the nose around the circumference, so I thought it wouldn't need any more washers to shim up, would it?

Well no, I think the problem comes from a damaged motor mount, because I could pull the spinner downwards. There was quite a lot of flex in there, and I'm wondering if this was happening in flight under load, causing the plane to sort of act nose heavy. I was offsetting this by pulling the CoG back until the thrust line was level when under power. I've removed the spinner and had a look at the mount, which is split near the top mount hole, so I've removed it and I'm in the process of sorting out a new 1.

I think the spinner needs to sit flush with the fuse, basically no obvious thrust angle change, but if you think differently can you let me know.
Old May 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
My motor mount def had a slight angle to the right ( looking from the rear of the plane). The up and down is straight. I re-glued it that way after a accident I had.
Old May 04, 2012, 08:40 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Cheers Savneo.

Glad you got yours sorted, I thought I'd given some bad advice a few posts back after removing my mount today, but it sounds like it's turned out fine for you. I hope I can get mine sorted and put it down to a broken mount, this CoG thing has been bugging me for ages.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
what motor for this plane????
i want very very fast plane.
what battery???
thanks.regards.
zabandija is offline Find More Posts by zabandija
Old May 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabandija View Post
what motor for this plane????
i want very very fast plane.
what battery???
thanks.regards.
Motor is Mega F5D (Green one)
HK battery 1800mAh 5s
Prop 4.75 x 4.75

This set up is way past the manufacturers spec. So go easy on the turns.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:52 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savneo View Post
Motor is Mega F5D (Green one)
HK battery 1800mAh 5s
Prop 4.75 x 4.75

This set up is way past the manufacturers spec. So go easy on the turns.
How are you getting a 5s in there? Pic would be nice . My wing hold down in the fuse has been repaired, so I doubt anything bigger than a 4s 1800 would fit in mine.

Is it the 16/25/2 F5D and what amp draw is it? With the Mega's, specs don't seem to mean too much provided you have some throttle control and cooling.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
How are you getting a 5s in there? Pic would be nice . My wing hold down in the fuse has been repaired, so I doubt anything bigger than a 4s 1800 would fit in mine.

Is it the 16/25/2 F5D and what amp draw is it? With the Mega's, specs don't seem to mean too much provided you have some throttle control and cooling.
Its called F5D (green in colour) i believe its similar to the 16/25/2. The spec sheet that came with the motor quotes 5s @ max 80 amps (i take it that's burst).
I'm going to run it at 40/50 amps.

The battery is like this the 3s goes 1st then the 2s. They are hinged together so that you can pull them out.
Last edited by savneo; May 30, 2012 at 02:04 PM.