HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Hobbie king DG 1000 2.6 mtr

Interested in peoples opinion of the Hobbie King DG1000 2.6 mter sail plane kit/
( glass fuse built up wings) new style kit with the pilots.
Paul Chisholm is offline Find More Posts by Paul Chisholm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Probably not

Hi Paul, I hope all is well with you. I guess you are still in the land of Aus?
I'm not sure I would bother with this one. The chords are just so narrow they tend not to fly very well.
If you are keen on scale go with a big one for slope and air tow. It is usually practical to put electric in the nose too for a bit more versitility. Hobby King really are the place to go for the electrics. Great prices and reasonable quality if you pick right. The product reveiews help with that.

All the best Mate.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Hk dg1000

I finally bought one after consulting the web. They are pretty good for slope and am told that on a good day they can be launched with a standard high start and thermal surprisingly well.

I also understand that they fly pretty fast with that in mind the flaps will come in handy though they only go down 40 degrees or so. I imagine I will have to plat with a camber mix at the wing tips to help avoid tip stalls.

Every fiberglass sailplane of this class has a little twist in the fuse. Mine was straightened by heating the fuse carefully and applying twist in opposite direction. Give it a couple of days to rest. If you went too far reheat and apply twist in opposite direction. I can see the hardest problem to solve is canopy gluing and attachment. I have already sanded the flash off and plan to use 4 rare earth magnets to attach. To use any other method will require adding a thin ply sheet to the edge of the cockpit and go from there. I will use goop to glue the canopy to the cockpit piece.

I plan to finish mine next week with high start maiden soon after.
Absolutely no wrinkles in the wing covering Hobbytown (fling hand launch, fling two meter and Vista) has never done that, not for me anyway.
( for $100 bucks you cant beat it) By the way no instructions for this version but if you know where the wings and goes you will have no problems.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,932 Posts
this DG-1000 will do well on the slope, but not so good in flat land. It is flying more on the fast side. If you slow it down too much, it will tip stall. Overall, I like it a lot for flying at the slope. I was able to thermal it once in flat land. But only because I was lucky finding a "hammer" thermal. Installing a tow release is not a problem if that is an option for you. So overall, you get what you pay for:

2 DG-1000 (2 min 8 sec)

DG-1000 Crash on Bungee launch (0 min 26 sec)

http://www.iflytailies.com/
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
dg 10000 slope/thermal

Iflytailies review said poor thermals.This link says thermals great http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=flyfly+dg1000 . For the first year or so I based my decision not to purchase the DG 1000 on iflytailies post and a pm from him. Then HK came out with a newer version (though it most likely has the same wing). Based on the above link and a weak moment I purchased the newer version. Now my area of Fl has great thermals but poor slopes (just the sand dunes at the beach which cannot be walked on due to environmental laws). We shall find out the thermal part soon not that I am the best pilot to try to fly this thing. I am used to very slow Radian Pro.. Good or bad I will report I plan to fly the Radian the same hour to see how good the thermals are.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,932 Posts
Yes, let us know whether the new version thermals better.

From my experience, modern scale sailplanes in the 100" range do not thermal as well as non scale sailplanes
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
iflytailies

iflytailies:

At 50 or more ounces we both already know its not going to be an Aquila or even a Gentle Lady. Not knowing what airfoil it is and what airfoil on the older version was there is no way to predict. I doubt if the changed wings. If someone had a copy of Xplane they might be able to predict performance but it will not run on my computer

By the way isnt it time for more of your fantastic videos?? .
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,932 Posts
there are many aerotow events coming up this season, plus other events
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
iflytailies

I think I saw on one of your videos the DG with twin tow hooks and a bridle.How long is the bridele? Hof far fwd of the CG is the hook(s) location. If that works really well I am to a decision point.

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Feb 2010
112 Posts
Mine is the older version, without the pilot. It slopes very well above 18 mph wind, and likes to be flown fast. Pumps incredibly high. I bent the steel rod slightly to give it a little dihedral.
Hawk I is offline Find More Posts by Hawk I
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
I think I saw on one of your videos the DG with twin tow hooks and a bridle.How long is the bridele? Hof far fwd of the CG is the hook(s) location. If that works really well I am to a decision point.

Thanks
hooks are 1-2 inches forward of CG, depending on size of sailplane. The two lines going along each side of the fuselage meet about 2-4 inches in front of the nose

Old May 01, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
I installed an electric motor on my DG and then on a power climbout, the wings flexed and the spar broke in two. It was quite funny watching it fall. Will I buy another cheap chinese glider? No way!
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old May 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
36 Posts
Cg?

What cg do you use on this plane?? And where do yo measure it? From what I have seen on earlier threads her, people use from 23-40m.m ! Mine is verry unstable, so I hope to get it better with a better cg.
grønnskolling is offline Find More Posts by grønnskolling
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
I have a DG1000, which was given to me by a friend quite some time back. I didn't ask him, but I think it is the one from HK, the one without the pilot figures.

Anyway, the upturned wing tips (winglets) have been broken off several times due to accidentally hitting the tips against walls, floors, tables...etc. Each time I just CA them back on.

I have just recently managed to get it to fly, and yesterday, as I flew it past me at probably 30 or so feet altitude, about 100 feet away, I powered up to climb away again. I saw 2 small white objects fluttering away from my glider, and it took me a sec or so to figure I have shed both the winglets at exactly the same time! Quite incredible that both broke off at exactly the same instant! And it looked just like a P51 dropping both the wing tanks during the war.

Although I had a reasonably good idea where they landed, I spent hours (in between times when no one was flying) trying to find them, but failed to spot them, even though they are white. I found lots of tiny pieces of white foam, broken props, etc. But No Winglets!

I have heard of this glider having tip stall problem. I am not sure if I had that problem myself. I flew it again without both the winglets just to see how she flies without them, but I don't see much difference.

My question is, is it ok to continue to fly without the winglets? Do they help to prevent tip stall? I know the full size glider has winglets so my model won't look so scale without them.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,932 Posts
you may fly without the winglets. They are just for scale looks on this RC model, not for performance