SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Transmogrified.
DismayingObservation's Avatar
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,855 Posts
Discussion
Frankenstein projects, part three

If you happened to catch my last entry, you may have noticed that my rebuilt The World Models P-51 EP was suffering from motor timing problems.

No mo', Joe.

It went up on Saturday with the new SuperTigre ESC working in perfect harmony with a SuperTigre .10 outrunner and man, was it fun! It's a smoking fast little thing, but no bad habits other than a tendency to climb under power. No biggie. I'll double-check the trim and CG next time out. That motor is the same as in the much larger and heavier Flyzone Switch and it has no trouble whatsoever motivating the little P-51. I used the 1650mAh li-po from my late, lamented Escale A6M5 Zero. Plenty of oomph, but lighter than my E-flite and Flightmax 1800s which I used to set the intial CG on the maiden flight.

The newly brushless Flyzone SkyFly 2 was an oddity. It literally would not take off despite being plenty fast enough to do so.

I remembered a thread over here that discussed the wing's poor angle of attack. Up went the LE of the wing with the aid of a stick between it and the fuselage and sure enough, up went the SF 2! The lighter weight and extra power turned it from a model that wanted to drop like a rock when not under power to a thermal-chasing little monster.

Might have been a bit too much of a stick since it almost didn't want to come down, but I'm about to do a more permanent and less extreme fix thanks to some rectangular basswood stock. So far, I only have $15 into the thing, but it flies so well that I may pop for the $25 replacement fuselage and make the whole enchilada nice and new. The model was an RCGroups review subject and it had suffered some rather hard landings in the hands of some budding pilots. The wing is new and the tail is like new. I'll be relocating the control surface pushrods for more travel as well. All in all, one of the more surprisingly successful projects.

The Blade CP/CP Pro/120 "hybrid heli" gave me a problem. I tried flying it in a breeze and the cyclic didn't want to respond properly, resulting in a hard touchdown on grass and a broken tail rotor. Turns out I was on low rates and it simply didn't have enough cyclic to compensate. It has a new tail rotor as well for a whopping buck-99. I'm hoping to really cut loose with it tomorrow.

All the hardware is now ready to go on the little .15 P-51 for its electric conversion. More to follow.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Apr 09, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Three mcx parts for sale. terriwang Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 23, 2012 12:14 AM
Build Log Freewing F35 - Frankenstein-Bipe-JET (FrankenJet) Project from Old Crash Parts kydawg1 Foamy EDFs 60 Aug 23, 2011 05:30 AM
Idea Frankenstein Bio-Tech (project code name required) DuncanRigby Ornithopters 8 Apr 25, 2004 10:35 AM