HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
Today it was my turn. I had a mid-air with Chris. Something flew off, and there were cheers from the crowd, but for several seconds my F18 seemed to be flying fine. Then I felt a lack of elevator control for a second and I announced that I had better land to check it out. Chris said something, which I didn't clearly hear. I made my usual landing approach and all was going well until I had another second with a lack of elevator control. It returned and I landed just fine though, and as my plane passed in front of me... I saw, that it was NOT my plane!

Apparently after I said I had better land, Chris said something like "me too" and he flew in just exactly as I commanded my non-existent plane to do. My actual plane had crashed out in the field half a minute ago! We had just started a part of the routine where we split up and then later come back together so I had no idea one plane was missing.

Oh well. It's about 90% repaired and ready for more carnage tomorrow!
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
228 Posts
Here's the video

Sunny Day Blues (2 min 26 sec)

Action from today, It was nice to have the sunshine and warm air back again!
I hope we can get more than one flight together tomorrow
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,123 Posts
Nice thread! This is my contribution ;-)

The Amazing Aerobatic Team! ZOMG!!1 (1 min 11 sec)

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
That was funny.
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
this is just so cool , never seen anyone trying to fly in formation , keep the videos coming , i will never get bored watching

dave
kinghelichopter is online now Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
667 Posts
Eddie P, thanks for the very comprehensive list in your post earlier. Some very good items there. It is quite hard to keep in formation by flying from the ground! We tried to simply follow one another around in an oval and on the straights it's ok to catch up but as soon as you start turning you realize that you were way further than what you thought from each other.

Cool video Ben_E, haven't seen that before!

Last weekend Lance and I tried to fly my Spitfire and his Focke-Wulf 190 in formation. It was a lot of fun and we were able to stay closer throughout the turns and low passes over the runway. It seems it's a little easier on the "mellow" warbirds than with the F-18s. Hopefully we'll do it again this weekend and I'll film it to share it, it looked cool .
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Last edited by Castel101; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
228 Posts
Here's some more video

Flying season is here!
Please post some video
We got out Sunday for some more Practice
So here's a new video
Sunday Blues R C Formation (3 min 15 sec)

We have six blue angels at the club now
we just have not all been at the field together yet.
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old May 16, 2012, 01:06 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,051 Posts
We just started making plans to fly our 90mm Skyblazer F-86's together. So far no ground based video but we do have some in flight video from my tail camera. Since it's not a wide angle camera you can't see much of the other Sabre except for when we get into a tail chase mode and one close call

4 Sabres here locally, so far just two of us have flown together. It's a lot of fun! Looking forward to more this summer, esp with all 4.

F-86 Remote Camera (3 min 19 sec)
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
great , im loving these videos

dave
kinghelichopter is online now Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old May 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Another story about formation flying gone bad---At the Mississippi Afterburner Jet fly many years ago two pilots were flying their BVM Sabres in formation...These guys flew with so much precision that you would have though the two planes were connected!!!...These two even landed in formation....

On that fatefull day one Sabre went astray, crashing into a field about 1/3 mile out---Sabre pilot #1 yelled at the other---"You just crashed!!!"...Sabre pilot #2 yelled back---"No, YOU just crashed!!!"...Sabre pilot #1 shouted..."Wiggle your wings!!!"... Sabre pilot #2 wiggled his sticks but nothing happened...The astonished look on his face said it all---He was heatbroken as his Sabre was a piece of art....(This pilot went on to work for BVM and had SEVERAL masterpieces to his name)...Sabre #1 landed and pilot #2 still couldn't believe what had happened...I don't think that he ever flew formation flying again..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old May 17, 2012, 07:49 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
946 Posts
That was the best video yet, CB. And you caught the inverted pass too! See, I-man, these things will fly inverted.

Kevin, that is an awful story. I don't think I would ever fly close formation with an aircraft I valued. When I've flown somebody else's jet while mine crashed it was funny because it could be glued together in an hour or so.

Eddie, nice video. I'm looking forward to the four plane vid.

I just watched the prior video again when Dave landed CB's plane and got a good laugh. If you crank up the volume, Dave's remarks are priceless.

It's getting so that the main reason I go out the field anymore is to do this crazy crap.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old May 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
667 Posts
Yep! That's the same reason for me too. Turns out this is the highlight of the field day trip, definitely. And yeah! I was impressed with the inverted pass! Now I think CB should do it too or maybe all 4 of us but I can barely keep it close to where it needs to be upside up lol.
Can't wait til Saturday, hopefully all 6 angels will be there!
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old May 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xflyfun View Post
Flying season is here!
Please post some video
We got out Sunday for some more Practice
So here's a new video
http://youtu.be/9ZkMVlZ7wFo
We have six blue angels at the club now
we just have not all been at the field together yet.
that was some great flying , the president of the club im in wants to do this , so this video is going to motivate him ,
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old May 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Yep! That's the same reason for me too. Turns out this is the highlight of the field day trip, definitely. And yeah! I was impressed with the inverted pass! Now I think CB should do it too or maybe all 4 of us but I can barely keep it close to where it needs to be upside up lol.
Can't wait til Saturday, hopefully all 6 angels will be there!
What I'm impressed with is the commitment from at least 6 guys to fly jets!!!...Since there's only about 40 members at the club I belong to it's amazing to have 6 pilots at the field at the same time......I wish that I had at least one ducted fan "brother" to have fun with!!!....I'm trying to make converts the best that I can......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old May 18, 2012, 02:48 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
This clip was on the L39 thread - thought it was pretty amazing!!!!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13373268352391
Graham d is online now Find More Posts by Graham d