HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
Ban Gravity
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jul 2010
25 Posts
Quality

I'm thinking of ordering one. How is Hobbico's quality?
helipup is offline Find More Posts by helipup
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
really the questions is how is flyzones quality. Working at a hobby shop and seeing lots of hobbicos products & flyzone products they are good and looks like it's getting better. The real test is when people get the the new glider and report back here. I really like the finish of the foam. Dense, hard and very smooth.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by helipup View Post
I'm thinking of ordering one. How is Hobbico's quality?
I own both the Parkzone Radian and Multiplex Easy Glider Pro and have been in modeling for about 10 years. I have flown powered gliders for about 5 years. I happen to live in Champaign and fly at the same field Hobbico is testing many of these planes. I have looked at the progressive quality of Flyzone planes that Hobbico is active in design and am impressed. The new Flyzone Calypso glider is no exception. The Hobbico team has tested this model to assure of it's performance. I handled and looked over the Calypso and found what appears to be a rock solid glider. I don't think you can go wrong here, Hobbico has a winner on their hands.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Thank you sir!
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
The only thing you did not say how it flies compare to the other gliders you own. Do you have an honest opinion how it stand up to a Radian / or Radian Pro or Easyglider Pro? I own all 3 and would like to see a comparison by someone that flown them, not the usual gushing by the makers. General Chinese EPO foam by the way is not even close to strength of Elapor foam in Multiplex planes but I would say better then the mushy stuff they make Radians out of and technically they are all a type of EPO foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
I own both the Parkzone Radian and Multiplex Easy Glider Pro and have been in modeling for about 10 years. I have flown powered gliders for about 5 years. I happen to live in Champaign and fly at the same field Hobbico is testing many of these planes. I have looked at the progressive quality of Flyzone planes that Hobbico is active in design and am impressed. The new Flyzone Calypso glider is no exception. The Hobbico team has tested this model to assure of it's performance. I handled and looked over the Calypso and found what appears to be a rock solid glider. I don't think you can go wrong here, Hobbico has a winner on their hands.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
The only thing you did not say how it flies compare to the other gliders you own. Do you have an honest opinion how it stand up to a Radian / or Radian Pro or Easyglider Pro? I own all 3 and would like to see a comparison by someone that flown them, not the usual gushing by the makers. General Chinese EPO foam by the way is not even close to strength of Elapor foam in Multiplex planes but I would say better then the mushy stuff they make Radians out of and technically they are all a type of EPO foam.
I have not flown the Calypso.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Oct 2012
54 Posts
I need help fixing Calypso servo

I hope I can explain my need correctly. I flew and crashed my Calyso on its maiden flight. One of the aileron servos seems to have stripped. I am not sure why. Mute point. I need to replace it. I know I can order a replcement. The question is How does one replace the servo in the wing? I have disconnected it but the connector wire runs through the wing, inside, and I need to get it out of course. It is housed under what apperas to be a re-glued cutout. Do I or would you cut the cut out out of the wing to remove the connector cable? I am worried about putting it back in. Or do I just cut a slot in the wing and pull the connector cable out by lifting out of th enewly cut slice. I need suggestions.
I also don't kow if this is the correct place to inquire.
john97618 is offline Find More Posts by john97618
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,716 Posts
sorry didn't read your question right when I first wrote this response.

I think you will have to cut into the foam to remove the servo or order a new wing (arrrggg...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john97618 View Post
I hope I can explain my need correctly. I flew and crashed my Calyso on its maiden flight. One of the aileron servos seems to have stripped. I am not sure why. Mute point. I need to replace it. I know I can order a replcement. The question is How does one replace the servo in the wing? I have disconnected it but the connector wire runs through the wing, inside, and I need to get it out of course. It is housed under what apperas to be a re-glued cutout. Do I or would you cut the cut out out of the wing to remove the connector cable? I am worried about putting it back in. Or do I just cut a slot in the wing and pull the connector cable out by lifting out of th enewly cut slice. I need suggestions.
Tower Hobbies has a direct replacement.

The HiTec HS-55 is also a direct replacement

go to the towerhobbies or esprit models web sites:
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Last edited by ripacheco; Apr 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
i am not sure how hard it is to pull out the foam inserts, i would try that first. If they appear to be in so well that they tear, i would make a six inch or so slit cut the servo wires and soldier a new servo wires to that long extension to replace the servo.. Be carefull correctly match the wires.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
54 Posts
Servo replacement for ailerons

You guys were great for responses. but I have one more question. If I buy hte hs55 servo, should I replace both of the servos for the ailerons or can I get buy with just replacing one. would I have to worry about a difference in torque for instance.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:50 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,716 Posts
Quote:
You guys were great for responses. but I have one more question. If I buy hte hs55 servo, should I replace both of the servos for the ailerons or can I get buy with just replacing one. would I have to worry about a difference in torque for instance.
I personally would. Mainly because I dislike mismatched, patched up things and since I'm a lab-rat I measure everything. (hence me saying change the whole wing [don't do it is just my opinion]).

Make sure you have right glue (shoe goo) to glue them back in there.

Hopefully you have a very clear idea why you had the mishap to start with.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:51 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
i am not sure how hard it is to pull out the foam inserts, i would try that first. If they appear to be in so well that they tear, i would make a six inch or so slit cut the servo wires and soldier a new servo wires to that long extension to replace the servo.. Be carefull correctly match the wires.
I'd see about building a "box" made out of balsa or something to replace the messed up servo "hole".
Would the structural integrity be affected? It would be just cosmetic? Questions to keep in mind.
I would buy a new wing. But I know that is an over-reaction.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
54 Posts
Personally I think it was me. Wanted to fly it so bad that I think I went up in to strong of winds. Then a tree jumped out in front of me. Things happen fast when you are in trouble. Live and learn. Maybe I should stick to trainers. OH! I crash them to.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Personally I think it was me. Wanted to fly it so bad that I think I went up in to strong of winds. Then a tree jumped out in front of me. Things happen fast when you are in trouble. Live and learn. Maybe I should stick to trainers. OH! I crash them to.
This is not your first plane and you are just learning to fly right?
I dont' consider this plane a teach-your-self kind.

If so find an instructor at your local RC club.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:34 PM
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
This is not your first plane and you are just learning to fly right?
I dont' consider this plane a teach-your-self kind.

If so find an instructor at your local RC club.
I agree, it works as a trainer but not a teach-yourself trainer.... full throttle for example, will make it go straight up ballistic (even requiring some down elevator) and power off gliding and thermalling requires another set of skills... If this is your first plane avoid abrupt throttle changes and do get a instructor/buddy to help you. Cheers!
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE