HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
141 Posts
Discussion
Over 3,000 Maps Locations!

Our Maps page is growing every day! I'm proud to announce that we now have more than 3,000 locations! Here is a list of some of the things you can find on the Maps page:

- Boating Sites
- Car Tracks
- Flying Fields
- Hobby Shops

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!
Did you know when you find a place on our map you can also:
- get directions to that location
- check the weather at that location
- get a link to that location (if provided)
- find other users that are close to that location
- find Google results for that location

All this comes in handy when you are going to out to do your favorite RC activity but it also comes in handy for your club events.
You can link directly to your field using the Maps page:
Here is an example

So the next time you are looking for a place to fly, boat, drive or buy be sure to check our Maps page and if you're having an event be sure to add your location and use it to help others find all the information they need to make it a success!

The Maps Page
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Last edited by Terry; Apr 09, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
This is really cool! I just created 2 more flying sites, 1 more R/C track and 1 more store that was not on there! I wish that I had this before when I was searching for nearby hobby shops and fields to fly on, great tool RC Groups!
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,972 Posts
Very neat! I just checked our site (Tarheel R/C Flyers in Rocky Mount, NC), and we're there! I guess I need to figure out how to add events to it.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Well, I'm pleased to see my club is on there - I added it a while ago but I didn't think it had worked. However, there are some real problems with the map given by the "Direct Link to this place" on Tools:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/maps....Cfield&id=1497

1) It's zoomed out to show the whole of the UK and a good chunk of the north end of Europe. Our catchment area really isn't that big. If they have to drive more than 20 miles, they'll probably go to a different club. If they have to cross the English Channel, they're not going to be interested at all.

2) If I zoom in, it doesn't take me to the field, it takes me somewhere I've never been, many miles away (looks nice... must go there some time).

3) Some of the more useful Google map controls are missing - I don't see a scale bar, or the icon for getting a link for the map view you're currently seeing, so you can give it to someone else.

I guess this is Google's fault, but is there something we can do about it? I'd like the map link to have our club marker in the middle, and for it to be zoomed to show no more than about 15 miles in each direction.

Here's a fun game - click the link above, then close the pop-up box with the blurb I typed about it, then see if you can actually find the club field, using just the pan and zoom controls on the map.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Portugal, Faro District, Almancil
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Hi sorry would really like to add my flying site and model club here how do i go about doing it terry

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=197119
http://www.aeromodelclubalgarve.yola...asa-pardal.php
MAT1978 is offline Find More Posts by MAT1978
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Thermal spots

Hi,

how about adding places for good soaring spots, maybe divided into sub-categories of good thermal spots, good slope soaring and maybe other types as well?

Take care
Allan
allanpro is offline Find More Posts by allanpro
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Once you taste flight...
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Great idea Allan. +1 on the request for soaring sites.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
570 Posts
Pretty awesome...
I added a site and a store...

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:04 PM
Unregistered User
United States, KS, Andale
Joined Apr 2012
23 Posts
Lol, I live right next to Lake Afton. I'm famous now!
Plexabit is offline Find More Posts by Plexabit