SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you attend a contest scheduled at Kennyworld to replace the cancelled FSS #3?
I would attend a contest scheduled for April 28th and 29th. 3 37.50%
I would attend a contest scheduled sometime in June or July. 2 25.00%
I would attend in either case. 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:15 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Poll
A Reminder That FSS #3 Was Cancelled And A Question For Those Who Were Planning To Go

FSS #3 (Florida Soaring Society Contest #3) was originally scheduled for the weekend of April 28th and 29th at the Punta Gorda, Florida site on Burnt Store Road. Unfortunately, on or about February 23 we got word that it was cancelled. The suggestion was made to me yesterday that we might have time to schedule a spur-of-the-moment contest at Kennyworld to replace it. (There's a lot of time to talk during an 8-hour LSF slope flight. )

Now there are some obstacles that we'd have to deal with if we actually decide to do this:
  • We'd have to get Kenny's permission...
  • We'd have to get an official okay from the FSS officers...
  • We'd have to recruit enough volunteers to run the contest, and...
  • We'd have to hold it without an AMA sanction because we wouldn't have time to get one.
We're not sure how much of a problem those issues would be, but before we even consider them the first step is to see if there are enough interested people to make it worthwhile.

Also, if the end of April is too soon and we can't work this out in time, there's the alternative of holding a Kennyworld FSS contest in June or July during the summer gap. (We already have FSS #5 at Kennyworld scheduled on September 1st and 2nd.) If we schedule the contest then, we should have time to secure an AMA sanction and give people time to make plans.

Remember, nobody is promising anything at this point; we'd just like to know how much interest there is in either of these two options. To avoid confusion, keep in mind that we're only contemplating one additional FSS contest to replace the one scheduled for Punta Gorda. We have no plan to do both.

I'll post this in the form of a poll. You can vote that you'd attend a Kennyworld contest at end of April, you'd attend a Kennyworld contest sometime in June or July, or you'd attend in either case. (There are no other options because we're counting heads, not percentages. If you won't be coming then don't vote, but feel free to post your comments and suggestions.)

Also, if you're interested in a June or July contest, check the present FSS contest schedule for open weekends and let us know what weekend would be good for you.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:36 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,599 Posts
Thanks for stepping up with the idea Mike. I love going to Kennyworld and would support an event there whatever the date. To run the event equipment willbe required and also the support of a club or clubs to provide it as well as assistance. As an OrlandO Buzzard I would be happy to helP any way I can. We just missed the club meeting on Sat. So I'm not sure how we would get a decision In time for the April date. I will see if I can find out.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,204 Posts
I would go under one condition!

I am so glad I got the trailer done
I would need two buzzards to transport 2 winches, two retrievers, two turnarounds, 4 batteries, and associated support equipment (foot switches, battery straps, pickle switches...etc)
Given enough support we can even make it seeded man on man. We would need a dedicated score keeper and the score card board.
I will send out a message to the Buzzards.
Raed
raed5 is online now Find More Posts by raed5
Last edited by raed5; Apr 08, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Sounds like an Idea!
  • We'd have to get Kenny's permission...
Just call him. He'll try to make it happen. - No doubt.
  • We'd have to get an official okay from the FSS officers...
Very unlikely to be a problem. The scheduler is in favor of it.
  • We'd have to recruit enough volunteers to run the contest, and...
Hmmm...... Probably not a problem. Entrants will run the thing if someone will put it together!
  • We'd have to hold it without an AMA sanction because we wouldn't have time to get one.
I understand that a sanction can now be had via the internet with very little notice. Give it a try.

By the way.... I'm in.

Rick
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:53 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
I searched the AMA site and all I could find were posts from members asking when the online sanction system would be implemented, but I couldn't find any answers. If it's there, maybe someone else will have better luck finding it.

As I understand it, as long as the flying site is insured by an AMA club (i.e. the O.W.L.S.) the only real purpose of an AMA sanction is to coordinate contests so that there are no overlaps. I checked the calendar and didn't see any other contests to worry about on April 28 & 29. However, the FSS bylaws say "All FSS sanctioned / sponsored / recognized contest shall be AMA sanctioned."

If we can't pull this off on April 28 & 29, we won't want to hold it during the following weeks because FSS #4 at the IRKS field is only 3 weeks after that. In that case, June 30 - July 1 looks best to me. It's 6 weeks after FSS #4 and 9 weeks before we go back to Kennyworld for FSS #5. July 7 - July 8 is the Florida Modelers Association "Dixie Nats" in Palm Bay, and July 14 - July 15 is the Thermal Thumbers of Metro Atlanta, Peach State Champs, if they make any difference.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2011
68 Posts
I would have to talk to my dad, hope so!

`Dillon
Kymb61 is offline Find More Posts by Kymb61
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
599 Posts
Hmmm, for me it would be better after FSS#4, I got too many "if's" to line up to make it on the 28 and 29 ... But if you decide for it, I'll see how I manage to at least be there the 29. Not definitive but I can try ...

Enrico
enrico74ec is online now Find More Posts by enrico74ec