HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:36 PM
Czech Republic, South Moravia, Hlína
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Help!
Initial Setup - Apprentice...need some advice before buying.

Hello fellow aviators,
I’m a newbie just plunging into this exciting hobby. After spending several days (and nights) soaking up wisdom on the forum, I started to put together my initial setup. I’m planning to stick with the hobby for a longer time, so I want to choose my equipment wisely, make it future-proof. So, I’ve just bought a DX6i tx and a CHAMP BNF set, both at inwoodmodels.com, to build the basic flying skills. However, the more serious plane I’m looking at is the Apprentice. I can get the pnp set for a nice price in my country.
Now I need to buy a charger, batteries and a rx. Because all of the equipment is just ridiculously expensive in my country, I’m gonna be buying online and would like to get everything together, to cut the shipping costs.
Based on what I’ve read so far, I’m leaning towards these:
1. Charger - iCharger 106b+
2. Batteries - Turnigy 3300mAh 3S 20C
3. Rx - OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Do these choices sound reasonable?
However, I do have a couple of additional questions and knowing the answers would be a tremendous help.
Regarding the charger and batteries – do I need to order any extra charging leads or balancing leads (or adaptors) to make them work together, i.e. make the charger charge them?
Here is a list of items included in the charger package according to the manual:
Standard items:
One copy of the User‘s manual on CD
One pair of output alligator clip leads
One pair of input alligator clips (30A) and input leads with 4mm bullet connectors
One temperature sensor lead
Four rubber feet
One Mini-USB data line (1.2 meter)

The second question is about the batteries and Apprentice’s ESC. I learned that the ESC has an EC3 connector and the batteries have a 4 mm bullet connector discharge plug, so they don’t match. I see a solution to this in an adaptor, which converts the EC3 connector on the ESC to the 4 mm bullet connector. Am I right? Could you point out such an item for me, preferably at Hobbyking’s, as I’m gonna be most likely shopping there.

The last thing, that bothers me, is the Rx. I read the OrangeRx has a sat port. Do I need to buy the satellite for my setup as well? If so, is this the right one: OrangeRx R100 Satellite receiver.

Sorry for such a lengthy questionnaire, I hope somebody will be willing to help.
Thank you.
holic86 is offline Find More Posts by holic86
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
1. The charger you indicate will foot the bill nicely. You will need to get a power supply for it. It does not come with an internal power supply. NOTE...This charger is on backorder. I have used the Accucell 6 charger (also Hobby King) with my Apprentice batts for three years and it has served me well.

2. Batteries OK

3. Orange RX R610 is a great RX. I suggest getting the SAT RX R100. For $12.00 it will give you better reception. Not more distance, but less chance of interference. That being said I have been flying the Orange RX only, for three years, with no problems, but added the SAT, just lately, because it is so cheap.

As far as connectors and leads....

I do not see an adapter for EC3 to 4mm bullets on HK site. Besides you will have to match your battery connector to your ESC connector. The best way to do that is to solder all new matching connectors on all your equipment.

I changed all my batts and charge leads to Deans connectors. Pretty much the standard in the hobby. Hobby king used to sell clones called T-connectors, but I don't see them on their site anymore.

Your charger comes with a banana lead with alligator clips. Cut off the alligator clips and solder on a Deans connector. Do the same with your batteries. (Just be careful doing the batteries that you don't short out the wires). Cut and solder one lead at a time.

Hope this helps

Tom
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
Glad to be here...
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
holic86,

You might get more suggestions if you tell us what country you are in. Best way to do that is to update your profile.
MX5Seeker is offline Find More Posts by MX5Seeker
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:31 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,272 Posts
I have an Apprentice, and I've changed all my connectors to Deans Ultra, as I found them easier to deal with than the EC3.

I'd suggest pick the style you like and use that for everything. That way you don't have to mess with a bunch of different charge leads and adapters. Of course, it requires a bit of soldering.

I have a charger that is the same as the Quattro 4x6 Hibby King sells. If you can swing it, it is nice to be able to charge 4 packs of any combination of types at the same time.

I've had good luck with Orange Rx's even without satellites.

RE the Apprentice, it is an excellent flying model and is quite durable. I use mine on floats, and to haul up an RC Skydiver.

I would suggest, however, larger wheels for more prop clearance and better ground manners. Also get some blendurm (sp?) tape and tape the ailerons.

Turnegy batteries should perform very well. It wouldnt be a bad idea to pick up an extra prop, spinner, cowl, motor mount, and nose wheel assembly- as a new pilot could damage those, and they are reasonably priced. An extra clevis or two would also be good.

Have fun.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,866 Posts
You might even want to consider the rtf version for starters. For an extra $70 in the US, you get a charger that will get you by, a battery with all matching connectors to get you in the air without soldering things together, a receiver, and a Dx5 transmitter that you can normally sell relatively easy for at least half of the extra you paid. You will want the better charger at some point in time, but you might want to see which way you find you want to head in this hobby. I bought mine that way and instantly sold the tx for $50, so got everything else for $20.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,272 Posts
I think you do have a good point there, especially if the difference is that small.

He'd have a Specktrum reciever installed that is usually around $50, and although e-flite batteries seem overpriced when you shop for them individually they are good batteries.

Having a DX5 around might not be bad either. It can be buddy boxed to the DX6, and I use mine for RC Skydiver.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Regarding the charger – I do know it requires a PS. I intend to use one of my spare PC PSUs for that purpose. I’m considering Tom’s suggestion for the charger as well. It looks like a good value and it would cover my needs for the foreseeable future.

About the connectors - I think I’m gonna stick to the 4 mm bullet connector the batteries come with. Deans connectors are like $ 18 for 10 pairs in the Czech Rep. and HK doesn’t carry them. On the other hand, for 10 pairs of the 4 mm connectors HK asks under $ 2.50. Is there any reason for me to go with the Deans?

Regarding the Apprentice set. I’m definitely going with the PNP set. I can get it for $ 195 in my country. The RTF set is a little over $ 370. So, the difference in price is quite substantial. Besides, I’ve already ordered the Dx6i.

Again, thank you all for your help.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,866 Posts
I would think you would want ec3, deans or something similar for the battery to esc connection. Not sure I would want bullet connectors only to plug and unplug everytime I changed batteries.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I would think you would want ec3, deans or something similar for the battery to esc connection. Not sure I would want bullet connectors only to plug and unplug everytime I changed batteries.
Not sure what do you mean... You say that it is inconvenient to plug/unplug bullet connectors multiple times?
If so, I'll get the EC3 plugs.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
holic86,

Allot of people say they like the XT60 connectors from HK. I don't blame you for not wanting go with the Deans. They are way overpriced. I use them because to change all my stuff to another connector would be a pain. If I was starting out I would consider the XT60 connectors.

You can get 5 sets for less than $5.00. Here are the female and the males are shown on the same page.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_GENUINE.html

Tom
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
holic86,

Allot of people say they like the XT60 connectors from HK. I don't blame you for not wanting go with the Deans. They are way overpriced. I use them because to change all my stuff to another connector would be a pain. If I was starting out I would consider the XT60 connectors.

You can get 5 sets for less than $5.00. Here are the female and the males are shown on the same page.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_GENUINE.html

Tom
Thank you Tom, those look really nice and the price seems reasonable too.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,272 Posts
Also, I believe the "T connectors" hobby king sells are basically Deans.

Nothing really wrong with EC3, I just had a couple that were so hard to unplug I had to pull so hard I was worried I'd break something.

For the price difference where you are, the PNP clearly makes sense.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Also, I believe the "T connectors" hobby king sells are basically Deans.

Nothing really wrong with EC3, I just had a couple that were so hard to unplug I had to pull so hard I was worried I'd break something.

For the price difference where you are, the PNP clearly makes sense.
Would have to agree about the pnp with that kind of difference. Why so much different than list price in the us? Here pnp is $229 and rtf is $299 list. It's almost a no brainer here to go with rtf and either keep transmitter for spare or sell. Battery and transmitter alone easily worth the difference.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Prices in the CZE do fluctuate a lot. Most of the RC stuff is just ridiculously overpriced – 2x/3x the price in the US, easily. However sometimes you can still find a good deal. As I wrote earlier, the Apprentice PNP for $195 - that isn’t too bad.
But that’s about it. I’m getting everything else from abroad.
I have one more question regarding charging though. I’d like to get the iCharger 106B+ as I plan to do parallel charging. What I’m not sure of is whether the charger would work with this parallel charging board. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...856&aff=143580
I read the icharger’s manual, but I just can’t figure it out. It only states that the charger has a balance socket and that the company sells a couple of balance connector conversion boards to it. Could the HK parallel charging board be plugged into the charger’s socket? Generally, are the balance sockets on chargers standardized in any way?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,516 Posts
Yes, that balance board should work. You plug the XT60 connector, of the board, into the main charge ports of the charger. (Thats the "banana plug" ports.)

You will need to cut off the "alligator" clips on the supplied charge lead that comes with the charger and solder on a "male" XT60 connector. Thats the lead that has banana on one end and alligator clips on the other.

You plug the balance connector into the 6 cell balance port.

NOTE, Looking at the reviews of the Icharger 106b+, one of the reviewers said it only charges one battery at a time. You need to research this before you buy. Someone who actually has one can verify for you.