HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2012
26 Posts
Question
Top Flite Giant P47 ARF

I am starting to assemble the subject model and wanted some suggestions on the engine. Many recommend the DLE 55 but wanted some other opinions.
RJaggers is offline Find More Posts by RJaggers
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,485 Posts
I've seen it with everything from a G45 Zenoah up to a DA85. The DA50 and DLE55 seem very popular options for this bird and provide great performance. However, I would probably opt for a Zenoah G62 myself. They are cheaper, reliable to a fault, and you will need the weight up front anyway. My .02 cents of course.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
I've seen it with everything from a G45 Zenoah up to a DA85. The DA50 and DLE55 seem very popular options for this bird and provide great performance. However, I would probably opt for a Zenoah G62 myself. They are cheaper, reliable to a fault, and you will need the weight up front anyway. My .02 cents of course.
Cheaper? Where?
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,317 Posts
I also have the TF giant P-47 ARF version on the bench nearing maiden. I went with a G-62 that has the Ralph Cunningham Lite modifications and an electronic ignition. I'll post up after the maiden in a few weeks.

I dont have much time for it right now, but I am down to linkages, hardware and radio programming
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:00 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifann View Post
Cheaper? Where?
I paid $250 for mine, in the classifieds.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,480 Posts
I just sold one ,lightly used,$200.
Need a Fuji 50 ,ign?
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Can't go wrong with the G62 in this plane. Perfect power and weight for it. Find a decent used one for $250-$300 in the classifieds.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, TX, Lake Jackson
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
I have a brand new Fuji 64 for sale. Electronic ignition and pitts muffler. I took it off a Ziroli P-47 and replaced with a 95cc Brison.

Tom
tpasztor is offline Find More Posts by tpasztor
Old May 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,317 Posts
I am about ready to fly my TF P-47 with G-62 Ralph Cunningham Lite engine. I am curious, what are you using, or what would you recommend I use for an ignition battery?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, TX, Lake Jackson
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
I use 4.8 2000 MaH MiMh AA for ignition packs. Most ignitions do not like 6 volt packs.
tpasztor is offline Find More Posts by tpasztor
Old May 31, 2012, 01:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,317 Posts
I ended up getting a 4.8v NiMh 3600 battery for the ignition, and will be using 2s 4500 LiPo for servo and rx power running through a Fromeco Sahara regulator (if it ships within the next week), otherwise, I will have to find an alternative regulator... I have been waiting for this one regulator for a few weeks and am hopeful it comes in soon so I can finish my model...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
G-62 will be in mine. Bought all mine used too, good value. I'm converting mine to CDI using the parts for the new engines. Got lazy flippin a couple of years ago and got back fired into the fingers. Broke the back side of the prop. A real attention getter. I'm using a paint roller now for a chicken stick until I get the EI conversions done.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,317 Posts
Sounds nice Edwin! When do you think you will have her in the air? ... I am still waitin on Regulator, but it has shipped!

I am curious, for all you guys with gas experience, how do you select your prop brand and shape? I know what size I want, but am unsure which prop to get. It is overwhelming, Xoar alone has about 20 different designs of gas props Do I simply base it on what looks best? or is there a better science to prop selection?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
Long time to maiden. Have to finish navy cub first, then get back on the P-47. I use xoar, bambula and a couple of others, 22x10. I'm a cost consious kinda guy so I dont buy the best. Xoar seems to be my go prop now days. I use the cheaper ones, cant recall what they are at the moment.
My 47 was originally a kit. I set it aside to work on a NE-1 and L-4. When I came back to it, because of the way I stored the wings, they were cork screwed with no possibility to fix. I only sheeted one side and was working on custom built retracts. Ended up buying an ARF wing and robart retracts to finish it. Still need to strip the wing and glass it. Wyliewarbirds.com sells a razor back conversion kit for the big TF P-47.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,317 Posts
Cool, thanks for the link!

I also choose Xoar most of the time, always come out of the bag (near) perfectly balanced.

Out of curiosity, what L-4 kit are you working on? I am finishing up a 1/4 scale H9 Cub recovered in fabric with all scale and accurate stitching. I am likely going to finish it as a Piper AE-1 Navy air ambulance, this will allow me to keep the base color Cub Yellow and also allow me to fly in military events
RCG Plus Member