HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexpilot View Post
Cool
did you manage to get more then 500m range?
I haven't gone that far. I did go farther with the cp antannas then the stock setup, that had lots of interference and dropouts. Before the mod, I tried a flight, with my googles, and I found it hard to keep the tx pointing at the Spyhawk. You just forget to turn with the plane. With the CP antennas, google flights are better, no worries to keep the video link.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batfire View Post
I have the v3 so it is out there. I bought mine through Amazon.com. Hubsan SpyHawk FPV RC Plane & 3.5 inch LCD Monitor/Controller with video recording and auto-pilot system - Version 3 It has arrived but I put it away for now until I get caught up on my Hexacopter build. I have not opened the box yet.

Product Features

• BUILT IN 5.8 GHZ FPV SYSTEM W/RECORDING MODULE & 4GB SD CARD
• STATE OF THE ART 3 AXIS FLIGHT STABILIZATION SYSTEM WITH ON/OFF
• GPS WITH RETURN TO HOME FEATURE
• 2.4GHZ RADIO WITH BUILT IN 5.8GHZ VIDEO RECEIVER AND HIGH RESOLUTION 3.5" COLOR LCD
• 7.4V 450MAH LIPOLY BATTERY & BALANCE CHARGER
• SPARE PROPELLER, USER MANUAL & GLUE


Are there any fixes that need to be done to this plane other than convert the rear stab to bolt on and a small cf rod stiffener? I am slipping this in for my next build so any info would be helpful on things that might need to be done to correct any issues the plane may have.

Cheers
Strange, I couldn't find it. Search just showed this one which doesn't mention GPS.
As for improvements, I would suggest getting/making the Circular Polarized antennas and a larger battery.

Buffythesaint: Can you tell me what frequency you used for your CPL build?
I'm making mine in the middle at 5827mHz
EDcase is offline Find More Posts by EDcase
Last edited by EDcase; Dec 03, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User
juerwotow's Avatar
FUENGIROLA (MALAGA) Spain
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
Hello all!!
Have anyone of you tried the Fatshark googles with this plane? Which one? I am deciding to buy a google, please give me advises. Thanks!!
juerwotow is offline Find More Posts by juerwotow
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDcase View Post
Strange, I couldn't find it. Search just showed this one which doesn't mention GPS.
As for improvements, I would suggest getting/making the Circular Polarized antennas and a larger battery.

Buffythesaint: Can you tell me what frequency you used for your CPL build?
I'm making mine in the middle at 5827mHz
I picked mine up from ReadyMadeRC. Not sure what frequency it was made to. Most likely in the middle somewhere.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,343 Posts
Is the video card formatted FAT32?

I'm having problems with the video. After the 1st flight I tried every computer in the house until I found a small Asus notebook that would read the SDHC card using a micro card holder to put it in the SD card slot. Saw a couple of videos from the tech doing some camera checks and my initial pre-flight video chack but nothing of the flight.

Erased the old videos and tried again. The recorder was clicking of numbers and I shut it off before unplugging anything but when I get home, the computer doesn't recognize the card and wants to format it. Tried again this AM and the video only wotks when the card is NOT in the plane?

Hope its something simple!

later,
Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi stanordave,
I could not get the SD card that came with the plane to work. I even got anyother one from the supplier with the same result. I was able to used an SD card that I had to work, so it is not the recorder, but the card. I am in the computer business and I could not get either of them to work on any of our systems. Have no idea what format they are, I could not get XP or Windows 7 systems to even recognized that there was a card in the reader!!!
Try aonther SD card. Hope this helps.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
I haven't tried to read the micro SD in a computer, because I have an older computer. Instead I put the card in a key chain camera, or my CamOne action camera and connected it with USB and had no problem accessing the files. One of my micro SDs that I bought actually came with an SD adapter and a USB adapter. Older computers cannot read an SD card that is larger than 1gb. I believe the card that came with the SpyHawk was a 4gb.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,343 Posts
Good call ya'll!

Tried a different card and all is well ...its only 2 gb so guess I can only record for an hour..

Wish we could watch the recorded video post flight on the Tx's screen?

[edit: Oddly the 4gb card works perfectly in the keychain camera so was luck I just had to swap cards...]
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Last edited by stanordave; Dec 08, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
Registered User
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Ever since the first second i heard of this, i was cringing. Then i saw it. I Laughed out loud. Then i saw it do its thing, and . . .Underwhelmed is a term that comes to mind.
Honestly i kinda find a RTF FPV setup a bad idea. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE FPV. I ave dedicatated alot of time money and energy into this faction of the hobby. One of the things i love about it is that is pretty exclusive to those who are dedicated, knowledgeable, and educated.
One would need a HAM liscence to run FPV and thats a good thing!
All of that stuff weeds out the ones who dont care to learn. Those that want instant gratification by bypassing the necessary elements behind a FPV craft.
This is a sure fire way to turn something beautiful and pure into something so much less so. Its an equation that will almost guarantee that this tech will be abused and it wont take long at all for some kid to try to put a weapon on this or do something really stupid and ruin it for all of us.
Yes, there are offenders everywhere reguardless, but when one has to spend alot of time and and energy into the reserch and builds, one has alot more time to reflect about whats going on, and how this is taking RC into the next level, one would be alot less apt to do something rash or dangerous. Vs something that was given, will have no where near the level of importance as to whats all going on.
I just dont like the idea of a RTF FPV system. and i wouldnt expect anything to excel with a package of this caliber.
HigherFlyer420 is offline Find More Posts by HigherFlyer420
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:43 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherFlyer420 View Post
Ever since the first second i heard of this, i was cringing. Then i saw it. I Laughed out loud. Then i saw it do its thing, and . . .Underwhelmed is a term that comes to mind.
Honestly i kinda find a RTF FPV setup a bad idea. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE FPV. I ave dedicatated alot of time money and energy into this faction of the hobby. One of the things i love about it is that is pretty exclusive to those who are dedicated, knowledgeable, and educated.
One would need a HAM liscence to run FPV and thats a good thing!
All of that stuff weeds out the ones who dont care to learn. Those that want instant gratification by bypassing the necessary elements behind a FPV craft.
This is a sure fire way to turn something beautiful and pure into something so much less so. Its an equation that will almost guarantee that this tech will be abused and it wont take long at all for some kid to try to put a weapon on this or do something really stupid and ruin it for all of us.
Yes, there are offenders everywhere reguardless, but when one has to spend alot of time and and energy into the reserch and builds, one has alot more time to reflect about whats going on, and how this is taking RC into the next level, one would be alot less apt to do something rash or dangerous. Vs something that was given, will have no where near the level of importance as to whats all going on.
I just dont like the idea of a RTF FPV system. and i wouldnt expect anything to excel with a package of this caliber.
So people should also be required to construct their own hand guns?

I get what you're saying and you have a good point but it's coming across as unfair, unrealistic and a bit snobby.

Regardless, while the Spy Hawk has its limits, it sounds like a good way for folks to get their feet wet and give it a try before spending countless hours on setting up a "proper" FPV rig.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Raggistored Usehr
gooby's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherFlyer420 View Post
Its an equation that will almost guarantee that this tech will be abused and it wont take long at all for some kid to try to put a weapon on this or do something really stupid and ruin it for all of us.
It's never going to happen, you can't really use planes like the spy hawk for harming anything. Almost nobody buys any sort of model plane for hurting others. They usually want to have fun flying around, not destroying their plane and getting into trouble .
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:41 AM
Registered User
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
It's never going to happen, you can't really use planes like the spy hawk for harming anything. Almost nobody buys any sort of model plane for hurting others. They usually want to have fun flying around, not destroying their plane and getting into trouble .
That is a valid point and i do agree. I am just afraid I guess that making it so redily avalible will somehow work to our (the FPV community) disadvantage.

I do see it as a cute idea, but cant quite seem to "like" it.

/shrug

Not wanting to sound stuck up or snobby, (honestly i am anything BUT) and while i do think that anything RC is awesome in my book really ( i mean i work full time at a hobby shop), I guess im just sensitive to the ones who spent so much time in the trial and error phases of this new side of RC.

I guess i kinda feel like the older dudes who are slightly bitter that we can buy a box of foam parts and batteries and be flying a half hour later, while they had to build, plan, etc for months before they got the satisfaction now that is available for immediate delving.

And acutally i have a fw friends that have flown one, and they had good things to say. Again, i just have a hard time liking it.

And having to build your own gun, isnt a bad idea at all.
HigherFlyer420 is offline Find More Posts by HigherFlyer420
Last edited by HigherFlyer420; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: afterthought
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
I don't think you have to worry much about wide spread FPV use and or abuse because the cost of this little bird is too high for anyone that isn't serious about the hobby. Even though there are a lot of videos of the Spyhawk on YouTube this thread is the longest I've found on the subject on the Internet.
BTW I'm one of those old timers that still has a couple of Gliders I built out of balsa wood, spar by spar and I don't resent that you can now buy all kinds of foam birds ready to fly. In fact I now buy those RTF models because I'd rather spend my limited time left flying rather than building.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:46 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
So let's talk about the Spyhawk. I've only flown it one time but it was fun. Some problems/concerns:

1) The first toss into the wind and it took a nose dive, luckily into tall grass so no damage. I had auto pilot off so I turned it on for the next toss and I got it into the air but it still seemed to want to dive. Not sure if this had anything to do with center of gravity. I used a bigger 800 mah battery just to get the plane to balance. I've noticed this same thing on some of the YouTube videos.

2) Video camera seems a bit blurry and I've seen this on YouTube also so It may be common. They put out a FAQ in the latest manual which mentions you can twist the lense after applying some heat. I was wondering if anyone has tried that. As is it's adequate for the FPV but the recorded video not as good as I'd like. Plan to attach my key chain #16 under the nose for my next flight. That should help with balance but add small amount of drag.

FliteTest did a review on YouTube and their video was much better but it was a bright sunny day. When they launched it, it did dive a
Iittle.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
MN Twin (engine) fan
Wood Duck's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperhyde View Post
So let's talk about the Spyhawk. I've only flown it one time but it was fun. Some problems/concerns:

1) The first toss into the wind and it took a nose dive, luckily into tall grass so no damage. I had auto pilot off so I turned it on for the next toss and I got it into the air but it still seemed to want to dive. Not sure if this had anything to do with center of gravity. I used a bigger 800 mah battery just to get the plane to balance. I've noticed this same thing on some of the YouTube videos. .
I've had the best luck launching per the instruction manual - throttle no more than 40% and a level throw. The motor is mounted with a lot of down-thrust angle, so too much throttle is going to drive the nose down. If the auto stabilization is active and you toss the plane with an up angle while the elevator stick is neutral, it will compensate with down elevator also.

My videos have been crystal clear. Maybe I got lucky with one that was correctly focused from the factory.

Dave
Wood Duck is offline Find More Posts by Wood Duck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools