HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
729 Posts
Cool
Damn Busters... the movie

I watched this little film the other night. It was quite interesting and well done for its time.

It is about the man whom invented the skipping bomb, skipped like a stone over water the struck the damn, rolled down the face of the dam in more or less 'intimate' contact then detonated.

It showed the mans trials and tribulations trying to convince the air wing that the darn thing would even work.

Lots of good footage of Lancaster bombers as a bonus.

One thing jumped out at me though and it was the name of their dog!

It was a black Labrador and they called him then N word at first I thought I was hearing things but they repeated the name over and over. Later in the film they just called him "good boy".

Anyhow it was an interesting insight to a unique bit of historical data.

You could never pull that off today. Not even in a historical sense.

Available on netflix
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:26 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,398 Posts
Yup - 'Dambusters' is a famous film here... Barnes Wallis was the inventor.
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
615 Posts
Good film.

People forget ideas on what is acceptable change, sometimes very quickly.

That word was an acceptable word within the living memory of people alive today, now, not really.

What was moral yesterday may not be tomorrow.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
It was fascinating to see his workshop re-created at RAF Hendon. The man was a genius!

Regarding the language, that's the way folks talked not that long ago. My dear Mother-in-Law was nice to everyone, but the terms she'd learned and used innocently in her childhood to describe folks of other races and nationalities are now considered insults. She was well-mannered enough to not use them, until dementia set in.

We had to commit her to an assisted living establishment, due to her physical and mental deterioration. In that place, she made many friends amongst the staff, include several black men and women. When Ma regressed to her childhood, her language did to. It was heart-breaking to hear Ma nonchalantly use the "N" word to describe those care-givers in the Alzheimer’s' ward and see the pain in their faces.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
It's Dam Busters.BTW

The issue with Guy Gibson;s dog's name is one that comes up every holiday, when the fillum is invariably aired. Those who see PC gone mad around every corner get very het up if the name isnl't reproduced in full, even though it is completely irrelevant to the fillum's plot.

Yeah, I know that the dog's name was the codeword for a successful attack on the Mohne Dam, but ther are many inaccuracies in the fillum, for security reasons at the time, and one more doesn't make any difference to make the fillum more acceptable for modern TV audiences.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I remember seeing that when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
It's Dam Busters.BTW

The issue with Guy Gibson;s dog's name is one that comes up every holiday, when the fillum is invariably aired. Those who see PC gone mad around every corner get very het up if the name isnl't reproduced in full, even though it is completely irrelevant to the fillum's plot.

Yeah, I know that the dog's name was the codeword for a successful attack on the Mohne Dam, but ther are many inaccuracies in the fillum, for security reasons at the time, and one more doesn't make any difference to make the fillum more acceptable for modern TV audiences.
Heh I knew that but headlines grab readers

The film actually had the release disclaimer or whatever you call it certifying that it was fit for public consumption.

I did note that when they showed the actual test footage the bombs looked like giant golf balls, round. When you see them in the aircraft they have like two sides shaded off, flat on two sides round in the middle.

I also recall seeing footage of this kind of bombing done with what looked to be giant oil drums.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
The bouncing bomb used in the Ruhr Dam raids was actually cylindrical, not round like a golf ball. There were other versions intended to be used against the capital ships in dock, like the Tirpitz, carried by Mosquitoes and for various other tasks, under the umbrella of Operation Highball.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:10 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:21 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Love the movie. I watch the DVD on occasion, when the mood strikes. Sorry, no CGI.

Seems like the remake is taking longer than expected. An article on the remake and their approach for Guy Gibson's dog: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onic-film.html
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:32 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Nova did two interesting documentaries this year on PBS, one is "Bombing Hitler's Damns" which is good, partly one of those where they attempt a modern recreation up in Canada, but by far the better one is "3D Spies of WWII" a don't miss, as they used the technology of the 3D surveillance by pattern flying over targets to accurately attack all sorts of targets, including the dams. A huge undertaking, difficult flying for the camera planes, Spitfires, what else? How they were specially equipped, much of the technology and photos only recently opened from being sealed.

Both are available online here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
This is the skinny on that Canadian half-scale reenactment done with a DC-4. Perhaps little known is that the bomb spun 'backward' from the direction of travel..
http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-05-05_dambusters.asp

Building the Bouncing Bomb - The final bit (4 min 30 sec)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
I watched that documentary on the recreation in Canada and it seemed very strange that they adopted an approach of spinning the bomb up, before take off, only to have it slow down by the time they dropped the thing.

There is remarkable, real life footage included of IIRC a Liberator that lost her tail from the splashback of the bomb, during testing.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
729 Posts
Water can be very hard when your going that fast.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hamilton,ON Canada
Joined Dec 2009
60 Posts
When they showed the original movie on CBC-TV a year or two ago, the dog's name was changed to "Trigger" in the most obvious dubbed-in voice....
chesguy is online now Find More Posts by chesguy