HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
Discussion
Can't Decide...Brushless and 2s or Brushed and 1s?

hello. I've been looking into getting myself another plane but i am not sure as to whether i should purchase a 2s brushless e-flite micro or 1s brushed parkzone micro. I have a couple of the parkzone planes. What i am looking at is the new spitfire mk vi from parkzone when it is released and the carbon cub ss from e-flite when it is released. So just in general, if you have flown both the brushed and brushless micros, which one would you choose and why?
rcguy1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1234
Last edited by rcguy1234; Apr 08, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:28 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1234 View Post
hello. I've been looking into getting myself another plane but i am not sure as to whether i should purchase a 2s brushless e-flite micro or 1s brushed parkzone micro. I have a couple of the parkzone planes. What i am looking at is the new spitfire mk vi from parkzone when it is released and the carbon cub ss from e-flite when it is released. So just in general, if you have flown both the brushed and brushless micros, which one would you choose and why?
If you have a small flying area with a sketchy landing area, the 1S brushed are better. They have less kinetic energy and hit the ground/obstacles with a lot less force. And the batteries are cheap/easier to charge.

If you fly in an open area with a good runway, the 2S planes fly better and can tolerate more wind.

My flying field is a 130 foot circle ringed with trees/obstacles with a tiny, one way runway, so I prefer the 1S planes.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
oh well thanks! i never thought of it in that way! i guess the 1s brushed are for me.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1234 View Post
I've flown the brushed Cub and P-51 and the brushless Stryker, Beast and Sbach. If you're looking for aerobatic performance the brushed ones don't compare at all to the brushless offerings. There is a huge difference in power there. HH has done an admirable job of keeping the weight down on their brushless planes and as a result they still maintain the floatiness and slow flying and landing speeds at low throttle, but crank up the throttle and they will rocket away leaving the brushed ones in the dust. I ended up doing a brushless conversion on my P51 but it still didn't fly nearly as good as the stock HH brushless planes. They are just so nicely designed and well-balanced, they're hard to beat.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
thanks for the input tres wright. i think i may be good with the brushed ones though based on my flying area.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
find myself flying 1s brushed brick micros quite often. Most can fly in the front yard and are great for a 5minute flying fix. front yard - Champ, NV, dlg, alula, fokker, etc...

becomes more of an event flying the 2S brick/415 combos, have to get 'ready' carry more gear, couple planes and walk to the park for bigger space and higher elevation. park flyer 2s - skysurfer, beast, sky500, jet420, etc...
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,744 Posts
How do these brushed motors hold up over time?

I don't own one of these UM yet but want 1...or more My experience with brushed motors on helicopters was that they didn't last more than 10-20 hrs of operations before wearing out. Are these motors much more durable?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:06 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
How do these brushed motors hold up over time?

I don't own one of these UM yet but want 1...or more My experience with brushed motors on helicopters was that they didn't last more than 10-20 hrs of operations before wearing out. Are these motors much more durable?
it depends really. i can't say much about the motors in my champ and t-28 right now since they don't have much flights on them but my ember 2's first motor got a good 150 flights and was still going strong! only reason why i replaced it was because i wanted to try out the j-3 cub motor in it, otherwise that stock motor was going strong! On the other hand, my j-3 cub motor started to go out after only 10 flights...not sure if i did something wrong or just got unlucky.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,744 Posts
Good to know...so depends on your luck. I'm guessing the meshing on the gear, if too tight, can be extra stress on the motor. A few hard landings on the prop will bend the meshing to either too tight or too loose and thus slippage. This leads me to direct drive that brushless tends to use...hmmm...
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109