Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:21 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Help!
Going Back In Time - Questions About FM & PCM

My history in a nutshell
  • When I flew FM years ago, I never used anything beyond 4 channel and always flew either Hitec or Futaba
  • For the last 3 years, or more, I've only flown 2.4 GHz
  • I recently purchased a JR XP8103 that will do FM/PPM & PCM (I hope I'm getting this correct)

Question #1
I have a Futaba 8 channel receiver: FP-R138DP PCM1024
Could I use this Futaba PCM receiver with the JR XP8103?
If so, do I have to use a crystal that's specific to PCM or will any PPM-compatible crystal function well?

Question #2
I am assuming it's okay to use JR XP8103 in FM/PPM mode and it will function well using either the Berg microstamp or the Corona RS410 receivers because these receivers will automatically detect positive or negative shift and this system will perform reliably together, assuming the correct crystal is used. Is this true?
Thanks in advance for your help. When 72 MHz was the most popular frequency in use, I was never an expert - just plug-n-play and with the simple, totally compatible systems I used (never got into PCM) everything was easy and worked great.

Now, I would really like to use the JR XP8103 and I'm learning the pro's and con's of digital vs. analog transmitted signals. My absolute most important goal is to use the JR XP8103 in a most reliable way, for safety, of course.

Thanks again & happy flyin'
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:28 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,047 Posts
To question #1, no, the coding is different between the two different brands.
On question #2, yes, as long as the receiver recognises the shift (I believe the JR uses positive shift) and is an FM receiver on the same frequency.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:36 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Thanks!

I'll toss the Futaba receiver on the classifieds and look for a JR PCM receiver. I'd like to at least try PCM even after reading numerous "PPM vs. PCM" ongoing debates.

Happy flyin'
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man