HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Can I use picoboard and heli motor and servos on a foam airplane?

Hello everyone! I have a few sets of receiver and servos for 4 channel planes laying around and today I got my foam plane kit. I went to put it together and relized the servos required are micro and then it requires a electric motor. I have the ikarus G-295 motor and its attached to a picoboard from a helicopter and a JR receiver and JR micro servos. Can I use this for my plane?
Rooster619 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster619
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:22 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
336 Posts
Not sure about your motor, but your servo's should be fine. I have used the micro servo's and ESC from my blade 450 to upgrade a foam cessna I have.
Spudz27 is offline Find More Posts by Spudz27
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
thanks for the info but the main issue im having is that I want to know if I could use the motor. I actually have 2 heli motors both with board except one actually has the servos in the board and the wires are soldered to the board.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:37 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
all brushless motors are ac motors. The determining factor will be the specs of the specific motor you have as compared to the plane and performance you're looking for.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
ok let me be a little more specific. my motors are connected to boards and i guess i need to know if i can leave the board attached? one of my boards actually says it controls the throttle and rudder? I dont know what that means but im sure someone knows about these heli setups.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
just basically wanna see it fly. Im new to this and just got this electric plane. I have a gas one too but thought id learn a little before trying to fly anything gas as I really dont wanna crash a nice plane.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
That "board" is likely a combination of your receiver, gyro, and speed controller. A lot depends on the specs of the motor and the plane your trying to fly. I'm fairly certain heli's use lower kv motors to swings their giant blades, while planes will swing props that are much smaller than what your motor is (likely) designed for. It might be possible to make your setup to work but it'll take someone with a good bit of experience.
Prydespride is offline Find More Posts by Prydespride
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
thanks to all of you. now if the board doesnt make a difference i have enough electronic experience to modify the motor to fit my planes propeller. i know the gyro helps keep a heli from swinging and if i was trying to make my plane spin i was concerned the gyro would kick in and cause my plane to crash.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:05 AM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
First, heli motors are typically very high KV motors and use large main drive gears to acheive the TQ required to turn the rotors.

Without some specifics on the actual motor you are trying to use I can't tell you how of if your plan will work, but here's some observations I've made about helis that could give you some insight.

The heli motors I've seen that are attached to 3-in-one or 5-in-one boards are typically small low power brushed motors. Any quality brushles motor that I would consider repurposing to an airplane would at least be designed to be replaced on the helicopter.

A gyro is designed to work in one orientation. In other words the top must be up for it to sense what is changing and give the proper feedback to the controls to counteract it. Gyros can be used on airplanes, but sensing your lack of experience with the system, I would avoid it for now.

If the description on the board says that the motor controls throttle and rudder, I'm guessing the board is from a coaxial heli. On a coax heli, one motor controls the forward spinning main rotor and another motor spins the reverse drive counter rotating blades. These blades spin faster or slower to control yaw.

Bottom line is, if you're creative enough you can re-purpose anything. With how cheap brushless motors and ESCs are, I doubt it's worth it.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01