HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
Discussion
Ski Goggle Mod for Vuzix 920 Wraps for MR

This was not my idea but I thought that it was a very cool adaption. The Wraps let too much light in without resorting to the Lightshield. I have a pair of Headplay goggles that do a fairly good job of keeping out the light but the control box is bulky and somewhat fragile. When I saw this mod, I knew that I had to do it. The guts of the 920 just snaps out of the glasses. I chose a pair of ski goggles that were meant to be worn over glasses. This gave me more room between the lens and my face. One person who did this took the guts of a pair of 320 vuzix glasses and cut holes in the ski goggle lens then hot glued them together. With the room that I had, I was able to just velcro the view unit to the back of the lens and zip tie the cable to the ski goggle side. The last thing for me to do is to black out the rest of the lens. I think that I am going to use some electrical tape vs painting them. Now I can revert to the original set up if I want. My wife thinks I am crazy. I asked her what is worse, sitting in the park with a pair of ski goggles on or ware a t-shirt or towel on top of my head? She laughed and told me she was not bailing me out when they took me away.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lightbridge set up
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:02 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Very good idea, I too have the same glasses and I ordered the shades after I had the glasses. The shades work ok but still do not totally block out all light. I like your idea better, how do the sunglasses come off the viewing unit?

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
There is a small clip on the sunglasses that the unit clips into. Just pull down firmly. You may have to rock it back and forth to loosen it up.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
Ed, just went to Big 5 and got some 'deep' ski goggles. I don't remember what brand you had so I hope the ones I got will do the trick. I think I'll sell my FatSharks and look into the 920s.

Oh, how about Blue Screen? Will they work through static before blue screening and how quickly does it come back from blue screen????
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
Van, I am not sure since I have not had to deal with that. The goggles that I have VG on the head strap.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,981 Posts
I actually did something very similar awhile back. Works great.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Van, I am not sure since I have not had to deal with that. The goggles that I have VG on the head strap.
Thanks. Mine are Triple5 goggles. I think they're similar to yours...at least I made sure they were deep to allow placement of video screens (of some sort) inside them. I really like the simplicity of your setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
I got my first FPV test flights with the Vuzix and ski goggles today. I liked them...better than my Fatshark Predators (which I already sold). The ski goggles were comfortably too. I didn't black out the goggles. I got ones with a dark, smoke tint lens. I velcroed in the Vuzix and adjusted to fit my eyes. I adjusted the focus on each lens for my vision. They are dark inside, but still leave me peripheral vision to the sides and underneath the Vuzix displays. I really liked this as I can look at my radio, video glasses controls, etc without having to take the goggles off. The only thing I need to do now is get a longer A/V cord from my GS to the Vuzix controller. The 3'one I had was just to short.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
EASILY ANNOYED
United States, MI, New Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
150 Posts
How do all you guys compare the Vuzix with others you've tried? Build quality and quality of display.
zuby1 is offline Find More Posts by zuby1
Old May 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
Since I wear glasses the ability to adjust the diopter for each eye is huge. I flew two FPV flights today with Vantasstic as my spotter. This was my 2nd and 3rd flights with FPV. I am still not comfortable with it yet but it is nice to have a spotter when you are learning as they can give you a global view of where you are. I have a pair of HeadPlay and I was never happy with them. Something about the Liberator Box that was not so liberating. The Vizix in the ski goggles are very comfortable. I have my lenses blacked out with tape. Vantasstic has left his the original tint. This gives him the ability to use his peripheral vision to look at his Tx or Quad during take off and landing. Personal choice. I can go back to the original if I choose to do so.
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuby1 View Post
How do all you guys compare the Vuzix with others you've tried? Build quality and quality of display.
Let's see...I've owned Headplay (sold them), Fatshark Predators (sold them), an off brand mid-resolution headset (sold them), Trimersion (sold them). My only two keepers that I have no intent on selling is my MyVu video glasses and now my Vuzix....both are the 640x480 resolution.

The MyVu's are no longer produced. I got a pair off e-bay for ~$70. I had to 'revive' the built in battery and do a couple of mods (documented on the MyVu thread) and they are great...just not very immersive. I wear glasses and they have no focus adjustment so I bashed an old pair of glasses to fit in them...work great now and I have the ability to look over/under/around them...in focus.

The Vuzix in the ski goggles is great. The viewer pops out of the fake sun glass frame they're mounted in. They the velcro inside a deep set of ski goggles (~$25 clearance from the local sporting goods store). You need the deep goggles, not thin ones. The ski mask fits very comfortably and I still have outside view so don't feel clostrophobic with them...also helps with staying aware of your surroundings and looking at the Tx, video controller, etc. You can adjust the focus for each lens on the Vuzix...so my view is crystal clear and sharp...unlike somewhat sharp when using diopter inserts in my Fatsharks. The Vuzix will blue screen on loss of signal and will shut down after ~30 seconds of no signal. I haven't tried them with static yet so don't know how they'll do there. Others have reported they took a lot of static before blue screening and then came back as soon as the video came back...so that's promising. On the downside of both...they're both wired so you are teathered to your ground station by the length of your A/V wiring. You could simply put a VRx, antenna, and battery power for the VTx on your person, vs in a ground station case, and have some of the freedom back...so there are work-a rounds if/as needed.

Most video goggles/glasses have no IPD adjustment (distance between your eyes). So no matter which ones you get you may end up with a less than perfect view if you have wide/narrow spaced eyes...or buy something with adjustable IPD...Headplay and old Fatshark (Aviators maybe?) are the only ones I'm aware of. The AIO goggles may have that adjustment too. For me, I'm happy with the Vuzix and ski goggles. I only wish I knew about them before spending almost twice as much for my Fatsharks and accessories.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 05:14 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
The top of the line Vuzix have PID adjustment and they claim much higher resolution 1280x720 but $599 is a little too steep for me. Even with the higher Res you can only expect 640x480 with our present FPV systems.
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old May 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris View Post
The top of the line Vuzix have PID adjustment and they claim much higher resolution 1280x720 but $599 is a little too steep for me. Even with the higher Res you can only expect 640x480 with our present FPV systems.
Yeah...I wouldn't have bought them at that price either. Nice to know they do have the IPD adjustments though. My 920s are almost just right for me so it's not a biggy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
I've gotten several flights in with the Ski Masked Vuzix. Me thoughts. AWESOME, but a couple of set backs.

I did a long range flight today (~6 miles). My video out was nice and clear. On the outbound trip my Vuzix low battery display came on showing pretty much empty. I have an AP system on my plane so engaged AP and changed the batteries in the Vuzix, then went back to flying. Worked fine.

I'm thinking of trying a mod to the controller. I only use one audio channel while flying. I was thinking of converting the second audio channel into a power lead with a 3.3v voltage regulator. This way I could power the Vuzix from my GS battery and not have to worry about the controller batteries dying on me while in flight.

I've also, accidentally, turned the Vuzix off while in flight by dropping the controller out of my lap and onto the ground. I figure the 'thump' breaks the battery contact just long enough to shut them off. I think I need some sort of belt clip to keep from dropping the controller. Of course, my power mod might also stop that problem as power sould be hard wired now.

On part of my flight I flew behind a ridge and got really bad signal...mostly static with just barely a touch of image. The Vuzix didn't blue screen or shut down on me. That's good. Looks like they can take a fair amount of bad signal and keep going. Then image got better as I flew back into 'clear sight'.

The FOV of the Vuzix is pretty good. I'd actually prefer it if it were just a hair smaller. I can see all corners of the screen for my OSD info, but a smaller FOV would make it even easier to 'see it all'.

So despite a couple of 'weak' areas, the Vuzix in ski goggles are probably the best video system I've tried so far, and I've tried Trimersion, Headplay, Fatshark Predators, some off brand goggles, and MyVu's. I rate the Vuzix and MyVu's as number 1 & 2 on my preference list.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
6 miles . Nice job Van! I thought I was doing well at 600ft. I will have the F450 set up with the new Naza GPS that I want to try. Maybe we can fly next weekend if you are available. I also have one of the YS-X6 controllers that I want to try out. What do you think?
Site Sponsor