HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Yippee!
My first solo flight and landing today

Not to mention my first post here at these forums....

So today I had my very first solo flight and solo landing, yup I was shaking. All the knowledge I've gathered here and other parts of the web, along with a lot of luck, and I nailed my landing. Now I'm psyched and fired up to keep flying. Have a short vid of it...
First Solo Flight Landing - Parkzone T-28 BNF (0 min 36 sec)

Parkzone T-28, all stock except for 3 3S 2200mah Turnigy packs.
I flew a second pack as well but landed on my nose. After that I decided to pack it up while I was ahead. Tomorrow I'll head back out.

I've recently returned to the RC hobby and never flown planes before, only dabbled in helis and lots of cars when I was much younger. I do have Phoenix sim and got a little stick time with the T-28 there, but the sim doesn't have me shaking when I'm about to attempt a landing.

Anyway, great community with tons of great info here and I'm happy to have found it. I'm sure without it my results would have been different today.
saboism is offline Find More Posts by saboism
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
I'd say that landing was just about perfect !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,642 Posts
Good job !! Now get out your wallet. Your going to need it. LOL
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:14 AM
Glad to be here...
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Congratulations!
MX5Seeker is offline Find More Posts by MX5Seeker
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,069 Posts
Nice job, welcome to the hobby and to RC Groups saboism, watch those tree's, they will reach out and bite ya!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
You will come to enjoy the fingers/hands shaking! That is one of the reasons we move to bigger or faster planes. You only shake when you are pressing yourself with more expensive , complex planes. Or faster planes that you have trouble keeping up with. It is my opinion that is why we keep doing this! Adrenaline, pure and simple. Or, sometimes it is as simple as the most perfect (insert maneuver) that you have ever done.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Yes, very nice landing, good job leveling the right wing when it dipped on approach.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Feb 2012
265 Posts
Great job flying! I have about 18 flights with my PZ T-28 ... what a great flying plane!
I've found that on a 3 to 5 mph day you can just cut the power in the approach turn and glide in. I swear it floats like a high wing. I trained on an E-Starter and after flying the T-28 now know I could of used it as a trainer. It handles the wind like a larger plane (flew in 12 to 14 mph winds today) and my instructor was doing knife edges with it like it was dead calm.

BTW, I put two coats of Hadden House Floor Finish on it ( and my Airfield T-28) and it really shines and protects the foam. It also darken the red to where it looks like a nice rich paint. I did the cowl and canopy as well, the clear canopy looks like glass. (If you do it be sure you use a foam brush

Have fun and Happy Easter!
ovrclkd is offline Find More Posts by ovrclkd
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:31 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Can't beat that! Congrats on the solo and the greased landing. It won't be the last!

The T-28 is such an awesome plane. It's not as fast as my P-47 or Spitfire but a lot of times I think it's the most fun to fly, because it's a lot easier to keep close, low, and slow when I feel like it. I feel more comfortable flying inverted close to the ground with it than my other planes as well. I think it also makes a pretty good trainer... trying to teach my fiancee to fly using mine with a buddy box, and I will be trying to convince a buddy he should get one as a 2nd plane after his HZ Super Cub and not something faster for the moment.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Welcome to RCG! That was an awesome landing! I've been flying just over one year now and haven't had a landing like that yet! Mainly because I've ever flown belly landers. . . But that was great!
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

It's been windy so I have only gotten in one more flight. Today looks slightly overcast and calm so possibly after work. I have begun the habit of keeping the plane, radio and batteries in the truck so I am prepared to sneak in a flight or two if the opportunity arises.

I'm still scoping out the various fields in the area and seeing if any of the local clubs interest me. Also now that I'm fired up I'm trying to research these ultra micros for something I can fly without hitting a field. The UMX Beast looks incredible but I worry it's too much machine for me right now. I picked up an Ember 2 cheap but any wind at all is too much for that little guy.

Any way I'm hooked and basically trying to maximize flight time the best I can right now. Still more reading up to do on setting up Phoenix to fly closer to the real deal.
saboism is offline Find More Posts by saboism
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
The nice thing about the T-28 is it can fly in much smaller areas than Parkzones other similar sized planes. I did the micro thing too, but I found that after awhile I stopped flying them. I'd rather drive a ways to fly the bigger planes than take my UMs into the front yard. Dunno why...
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort