HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Discussion
how much line do you store on your winch

Had my little winch birdnest badly today and decided it's about time to restring it but the question is, how much? previously i had 1200 feet of line on it but only used it all once.

Should i reload with another 1200 feet, more that 1200 or more like 1000?
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:51 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Little winch?? What line were you using, and what line would you replace it with? Avoid the springy stuff and spend extra on a limper type of mono. I'll avoid typing about the merits of different line types here.

I'd go the 1200 ft minimum personally if you can safely spool it, in case other flyers may like to use your winch and may need the legs, not to mention light air days or difficult conditions when you are going to spool more on the up. Just my 2c worth.

I guess we may need to know the particulars of your little winch to be of any worthwhile help.

Cheers from Steve.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:34 AM
nlpken
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Oct 2007
71 Posts
This is how we string our club winches. We use just the amount required for the field we are flying at with a little extra in case of a line break. Extra line that is not necessary on the winch drum increases its diameter making the winch motor work harder.
Regards,
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdragon View Post
Had my little winch birdnest badly today and decided it's about time to restring it but the question is, how much? previously i had 1200 feet of line on it but only used it all once.

Should i reload with another 1200 feet, more that 1200 or more like 1000?
nlpken is offline Find More Posts by nlpken
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
this may help a bit.

You can see that 1200 foot of 125 pound test braided fishing line fills the drum almost completely when it's stored. that's where the trouble starts.

Yes the whole thing is a lightweight at 15 pounds not counting the battery but it's more than enough to launch my 2 meter gliders and sometimes my 3 meter bird of time if i want to risk snapping the line.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:07 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Wait a minute, you are using 125 pound braided line and worrying about snapping the line launching a humble 3m BOT ? and not worrying about snapping the BOT wings instead with the 125 pound braid ?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Wait a minute, you are using 125 pound braided line and worrying about snapping the line launching a humble 3m BOT ? and not worrying about snapping the BOT wings instead with the 125 pound braid ?

only because i stripped the BOT's center wing section and had a friend fiberglass the whole thing.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Ok, time for a correction. what i thought was 125 pound test braided line, isn't.
i just received a new roll that i ordered today and this stuff is twice as thick as the line i had on the winch. that may explain why i could break it whenever i wanted to just by trying to pull off a zoom.

There no way i'm going to fit 1200 foot of the new stuff on there so i'm pulling the winch apart for improvements. i'm replacing the drums 1 inch center section with a 4 inch wide one and while i'm at it i am going to come up with some sort of brake for it.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:24 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Oh well, all the best with the rebuild mate. A bicycle freewheel is a quick and cheap way to make a brake for your drum, just have to engineer it onto the outside of your drum axle and more particularly the drum itself.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Oh well, all the best with the rebuild mate. A bicycle freewheel is a quick and cheap way to make a brake for your drum, just have to engineer it onto the outside of your drum axle and more particularly the drum itself.
Can you explain how the bicycle free wheel works? I have one (from Wayne Freddett) and I am apprehensive about using it.
Raed
raed5 is offline Find More Posts by raed5
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
glider pilot in training
Joined Aug 2006
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raed5 View Post
Can you explain how the bicycle free wheel works? I have one (from Wayne Freddett) and I am apprehensive about using it.
Raed
basicly you would be using a ratcheting bicycle rim drive sprocket to keep the line from playing back out when you let off the pedal, usually the drag from it also stops the drum turning fairly quickly as well.

i added a picture below, maybe it will make more sense
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
It is a very rudimentary brake in every way, but it works. Pic of my venerable old 12V woodie winch for further clarification.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
- There is almost zero drag associated with a freewheel if it is in good working order. So do not fear that it will rob the electric motor of any power. It freewheels as the motor spins the drum.

Steve- bicycle mechanic.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,142 Posts
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if it would slow it down, because thats how you get rats nests when there is alot of tension on it and you let go of the foot pedal. Only draw back is you have to release the chain when you retrieve!
Raed
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:08 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Raed,
I have lost count of the times I have been flying alone and have wandered down to retrieve the line and had that Doh! moment. That's not as bad as flying with pals and them seeing you walking away, just waiting for you to get all the to the shute before they crack up and shout that your brake is still on. Maybe they might even release it for you- eventually after some good hearted teasing.

Same as any manual brake system though.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Raed,
I have lost count of the times I have been flying alone and have wandered down to retrieve the line and had that Doh! moment. That's not as bad as flying with pals and them seeing you walking away, just waiting for you to get all the to the shute before they crack up and shout that your brake is still on. Maybe they might even release it for you- eventually after some good hearted teasing.

Same as any manual brake system though.
I can see my fellow "Buzzards" doing the same thing to me.