HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:28 AM
Registered User
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
Based on the 4th picture above, I kind of doubt it. There's a bit of flatness at the cowl/fuselage junction. I see the flatness on the fuselage side, but not around the top.
Oh, I see what you're talking about, good point. When it arrives I'll take a look and post the results. Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
I don't understand what's the deal with the cowl. It doesn't need to be rotated in order to install the engine one way or another. You just make your cutout where you want it. For that matter it can be left intact and used with an electric motor.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:40 PM
CPA# 39
EscapeFlyer's Avatar
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
deleted
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: I want out of this conversation.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
Brian,

The question I'm asking is not related to whether we like the cowl or not - there are plenty of opinions in both camps on that inevitable debate.

What I'm asking is why there's talk about rotating cowls. I think there's the impression that the cowl is pre cut which I doubt. It will just be a conical cowl as that which came with DB40 kits. You can screw it on, glue it on or magnetize it at will. Then hack into it as best suits your needs.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
rwbrown29 is offline Find More Posts by rwbrown29
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
CPA# 39
EscapeFlyer's Avatar
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
deleted
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Last edited by EscapeFlyer; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Things are getting blown out of proportion.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:46 AM
Anything that gives me a High
super kupfer's Avatar
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Come on guys ......for a cowl??????

Just think about the level of versatility and ease, it doesn't get any better.

I hear some people are talking/complaining about the lines of this bird, I think that since there is so many variation of this bird why not have another one.


If you are worried about something worry about the quality and hope that its going to be exceptional.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
Intermediate Multi
Trisquire's Avatar
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Brian,

The question I'm asking is not related to whether we like the cowl or not - there are plenty of opinions in both camps on that inevitable debate.

What I'm asking is why there's talk about rotating cowls. I think there's the impression that the cowl is pre cut which I doubt. It will just be a conical cowl as that which came with DB40 kits. You can screw it on, glue it on or magnetize it at will. Then hack into it as best suits your needs.

David
You're right. It never occurred to me that it might not be pre cut.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:03 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Come on guys ......for a cowl??????

Just think about the level of versatility and ease, it doesn't get any better.

I hear some people are talking/complaining about the lines of this bird, I think that since there is so many variation of this bird why not have another one.


If you are worried about something worry about the quality and hope that its going to be exceptional.
These guys are gentle compared to the Radios forum!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Fatherof4's Avatar
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbrown29 View Post
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Welcome Back!

It's fun coming home isn't it?

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered User
hook57's Avatar
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbrown29 View Post
Hello guys. I have been out of the hobby sense 1995. First flew in the 1980 nat. with a dirty birdy. Moved over to scratch built EU-1's. When the turn around stuff came out in 1984 i went to 4 strokes, i never like sound of being quiet. When i saw this dirty birdy for sale, i looked at the weber speed, 61 new in the box i had saved and now waiting for the plane i flew at the nats 32 years ago when i was 22 years old. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Ditto on the welcome back RW! Hey, I was at the "80 Nats" too, in Wilmington, OH. I was there with a buddy who flew a Tipo to 8th place in Expert; I was well past 10th place in Novice after watching little Chip Hyde show a lot of us how it's done! But my piped Rossi powered Bootlegger sure looked good!

As Dox sez, (after you fit the motor mount) just cut that cowl to fit. No way can it be that big of a deal. A few guys have mounted their engines upright in the P-7s even. Just my 1/2 a cent (Illinois taxes ya know!)
hook
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Great Planes ARF vs Dirty Birdy wood...

My review will be able to discuss the "upright" mounted engine versus the side mounted engine.

My wooden DB will use a Webra Speed and Webra pipe that Joe Bridi used on the original.

The Great Planes DB will use the OS 65 AX and Macs pipe per the manual.

We learned, in the old days, knife edge trim could be adjusted by moving the pipe on the side mounted engine of the Tipo and Curare models up and down. Ineresting that Dick Hanson could have mounted the engine upright and chose not to...

My flight reports will be performed with a few other pilots and I will post their thoughts, my radio trims mixes, model and component weights and will be a lot of fun to compare the two models!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berusty View Post
My review will be able to discuss the "upright" mounted engine versus the side mounted engine.

My wooden DB will use a Webra Speed and Webra pipe that Joe Bridi used on the original.

The Great Planes DB will use the OS 65 AX and Macs pipe per the manual.

We learned, in the old days, knife edge trim could be adjusted by moving the pipe on the side mounted engine of the Tipo and Curare models up and down. Ineresting that Dick Hanson could have mounted the engine upright and chose not to...

My flight reports will be performed with a few other pilots and I will post their thoughts, my radio trims mixes, model and component weights and will be a lot of fun to compare the two models!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
That will be interesting Rusty.

I can't aesthetically conceive of a Tipo or a Curare with a vertically mounted engine. To me, it would ruin the front end design of the plane which is tall but skinny. The DB on the other hand has a "conical" front end (more or less) so upright or side mounted installations strike me as being equally suitable - pilot preference.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered User
jpurcha's Avatar
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
446 Posts
Upright engine

Probably just used to seeing an upright engine because every Bridi design had an upright engine from Bridi Trainers to Utter Chaos's (or is it Chaos'). Any who.

Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
That will be interesting Rusty.

I can't aesthetically conceive of a Tipo or a Curare with a vertically mounted engine. To me, it would ruin the front end design of the plane which is tall but skinny. The DB on the other hand has a "conical" front end (more or less) so upright or side mounted installations strike me as being equally suitable - pilot preference.

David
jpurcha is offline Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
Registered User
doxilia's Avatar
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
But a Tipo with an upright engine &@!?

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit doxilia Classic Pattern Flying 173 Jul 15, 2014 03:42 AM
Discussion SuperPacer 20/Dirty T Birdy 20 Conversion SpadCat2000 Glow to Electric Conversions 14 Apr 07, 2012 08:26 PM
Sold Great Planes 60" Fokker TriPlane ARF Kit elinor Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Mar 18, 2012 07:03 PM
For Sale 60 Size Great Planes DRI ARF plankbuster Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Oct 29, 2011 06:23 PM
Sold great planes sukhoi su-31 arf 60.00 Expresscraft Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 10, 2011 03:26 AM