HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:17 PM
Central Florida
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2008
266 Posts
Help!
sound module

has anyone used Harbor Models sound modules? Recently got one wired it up per directions checked-rechecked and third party checked powered up, sound module shows power but nothing works. speed control works without module. Does not seem to be putting out thru sound module. Receiver is not gettting power. Nothing was shorted. Any ideas................

Craig
r/cjunkie is offline Find More Posts by r/cjunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:10 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,381 Posts
When everything is plugged in, do the other channels work?
Like the rudder?

It sounds like the BEC for your speed control is not passing through the sound module to
power up the receiver. If you have an extra channel, plug the speed control into another
location, and see if the sound will then run from your throttle channel.
Or try plugging a reciever battery into the receiver, and seeing if the sound will
run without having the speed control plugged in.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:30 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
I have a couple of em. One works flawlessly on 12v or even a 7.2v pack...the other in my tug has been a pain.....it has to have the 12v or it acts up or won't work. I had a battery die in the 10 cell pack and that was enough of a voltage loss to make the boat start acting up. Be sure you have the 12v it requires. If you have anything in line with the sound mod that's pulling down the voltage (ESC, receiver...etc) that may keep it from working right too.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:04 PM
Central Florida
Joined Aug 2008
266 Posts
Umi this module has a seperate wire running to the speaker-positive and negative to batt.- aux plug & motor plug to reciever-the esc plugs into module. No power is going to reciever. I thought the power might go to reciever from motor plug wire as it goes to channel my esc usually occupies. I thoght about running seperate power cables to battery plug on my esc but won't do that until after I talk to them tomorrow. Capt. crash nothing else is in line with the module. This thing won't do anything but show a power on light.

Craig
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:14 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,967 Posts
Is it the one at the top of this page? http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/m...undmodules.htm
with these instructions - http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/i...structions.pdf
The instructions are very clear on it needing a healthy 12 volt supply which is reasonable given the power requirements.
It is very possible that the control functions need a 5 volt supply either from the RX supply or through the BEC in the ESC. It doesn't say which power is being monitored by the power light. If there is control power, but no amplifier power, there will be no sound, if there is just no amplifier power, again, no sound, but the through connection should let the ESC work.
If the RX and ESC work without the module in circuit, then they are evidently OK.
There should be a through connection for 5V power between the motor plug and speed control connections, possibly the Aux connection as well. The signal wire will be diverted within the unit to allow the processing to happen.
Always important to check the main power ground lines - I have had enough occasions where it should work but doesn't because motor current is having to find an alternative path, usually through the receiver wiring.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
Central Florida
Joined Aug 2008
266 Posts
I am using a 12 volt 7amp battery. I'm waiting on a call from Harbor models tech guy. The module also controls the speed control and I've got no motor either. Thats the instructions wired like they say.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,381 Posts
With it wired properly, do any of the other channels run servos?
Does the receiver have power?

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
Central Florida
Joined Aug 2008
266 Posts
Thanks everyone. After 30seconds on the phone with Nick from Harbor Models problem solved. Took me more time to find my "stupid" sign than to fix it. In my desire to be carefull and not fry the unit I thought the power was coming from the module for reciever. I still had to power the speed control independently. Thanks again everyone