HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
One bit of weirdness on mine. I installed the OrangeRX in my old tiger moth. Removing the GWS RX that it had been flying on for 2 years. Same motor/ESC combo. Before my normal startup was to turn on the Tx, be sure throttle stick is at lowest position, Install flight battery and wait for the beeps, then run the throttle full up and back to arm the ESC. After swapping in the new Rx I could not get this sequence to work. I discovered simply by chance that before installing the flight batt I have to put my throttle stick to full up? Then install battery, wait for the beeps. Lower the throttle to low and back to high to arm the esc. Everything else from that point on is great.
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That has nothing to do with the orange - just how your ESC works.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
Than why does the ESC respond differently with 2 different Rx's
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
It may be that the throttle channel was reversed on one of the RXs. When you arm an ESC it takes the signal from the high and low throttle point. When you bind make sure the throttle is set to zero. Then unplug the bind plug and remove the battery - then advance the throttle to full, add the battery and wait for the ESC to beep, then lower the stick to zero -> congratulations, you have programmed your ESC

On the failsafe, it's not a proper failsafe - I have just had a play about and it only works after a brownout (after the ESC has reset, for instance) in the few seconds before contact with the TX is re-estblished - if signal is lost it wont default to failsafe mode. So for slopers and thermaling it wont help. If you are after an orange rx with failsafe the 9CH Orange Rx features failsafe after signal loss.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
It may be that the throttle channel was reversed on one of the RXs. When you arm an ESC it takes the signal from the high and low throttle point. When you bind make sure the throttle is set to zero. Then unplug the bind plug and remove the battery - then advance the throttle to full, add the battery and wait for the ESC to beep, then lower the stick to zero -> congratulations, you have programmed your ESC

On the failsafe, it's not a proper failsafe - I have just had a play about and it only works after a brownout (after the ESC has reset, for instance) in the few seconds before contact with the TX is re-estblished - if signal is lost it wont default to failsafe mode. So for slopers and thermaling it wont help. If you are after an orange rx with failsafe the 9CH Orange Rx features failsafe after signal loss.

yea. that's kinda what I figured. Tx.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
The 6 channel only has failsafe on throttle.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post

The Orange RX has a fail safe in built -....
Only the new $20 ones have all channel failsafe circuitry.

See " OrangeRx R710 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 7Ch w/Failsafe "
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Just ordered a couple of the R710's, I'm assuming the failsafe works after signal loss.

I had a little trouble binding a 4ch Orange today - it seemed to always take 2 binding attempts to bind with my DX8. Never have had this problem with the 6ch version.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
The 6 channel orange R610 has only throttle failsafe.

FYI... If using a Spektrum RX you can bind so that your surfaces go to your selected positions.

1. Install bind plug.
2. power up RX
3. While RX is blinking remove the bind plug. RX will continue to blink.
4. Hold your control surface sticks in the position you want them at failsafe, and hold bind button (or switch) while turning on the TX.
5. Wait for solid light.

Keep your throttle at zero.

Again, this does not work for the 6 channel R610 RX.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,358 Posts
And a note on failsafe and range checking.

I have an Orange on my Slow Stick. Bound and set failsafe.

Out for the maiden, powered up the tx, then the plane.Turned my back to the plane, held the trainer button to do a range check, and start walking. Covered 30 paces and turned around to no plane.

Hear a whirring noise behind me and see the plane just happily flying around in a big circle.

Apparently I somehow blocked the low strength signal and the rx went into fail safe, which was 1/4 throttle. More then enough to launch the SS. And lucky for me the rudder was off a hair, allowing it to make lazy circles.

Released the trainer button and in a second I had full control again.

Did amaze the 3 kids who had rode up on their bikes to see me take off without even looking at my plane.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Great story - glad it all turned out well

Still laughing

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
705 Posts
LOL thats awesome.. Little luck never hurt anyone huh... : )
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
And a note on failsafe and range checking.

I have an Orange on my Slow Stick. Bound and set failsafe.

Out for the maiden, powered up the tx, then the plane.Turned my back to the plane, held the trainer button to do a range check, and start walking. Covered 30 paces and turned around to no plane.

Hear a whirring noise behind me and see the plane just happily flying around in a big circle.

Apparently I somehow blocked the low strength signal and the rx went into fail safe, which was 1/4 throttle. More then enough to launch the SS. And lucky for me the rudder was off a hair, allowing it to make lazy circles.

Released the trainer button and in a second I had full control again.

Did amaze the 3 kids who had rode up on their bikes to see me take off without even looking at my plane.
I don't care who you are- that's funny right there!
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
Tumbling Turkey
United Kingdom, Nottingham
Joined Mar 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
1. Put bind plug in Rx.
2. Power Rx however you want to (turn the Rx on)
3. Turn on your DX6i, and hold the trainer switch up until the Rx light glows orange, that means it is bound.
4. Unplug Rx and Remove Bind plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Clarification if needed.
3. Hold the trainer switch in the on position and then turn on DX6i keeping the trainer switch on. etc

The plug goes into the bat on the RX
More clarification needed.

Do not unplug the RX before removing the bind plug otherwise it will not bind correctly.
It creates a situation whereby the GUID isn't fully stored by the TX/RX and thus reduces the operating range.

Always pull the bind plug with the TX & RX still powered up from the binding process.
Uksaint is offline Find More Posts by Uksaint
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, SA, Clarence Park
Joined Apr 2008
127 Posts
Problem with Orange RX

Hi All
Have just purchased a Kinectic 800 plane second hand for my kids to use. It has come with a Orange rx. I am not sure if this was the original receiver or not but we are having problems with the throttle. I use a Flysky 9x tx with the er9x custom firmware that also has a Spectrum module plugged into the back. It has been fine with DSM2 planes in the past. I also have another plane that has a orange rx in it and that is fine as well. The rx in the Kinectic seems to work ok on all channels except the throttle which when powered up starts the motor at about half throttle. I have tried resetting the esc - no difference. I have tried adjusting the end points with no noticeable difference. I have also tried a different receiver and transmitter and it was fine, no probs at all. So, can anyone tell me if this rx is broken or is there some sort of reset I can activate to get it working properly? I just don't want to throw away a perfectly good rx just because I didn't know how to reset it. Appreciate anyone's input
Regards
Con
con244 is online now Find More Posts by con244