SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Argentina, Cordoba, Villa Marķa
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
How to make fatty cartoon planes

What im trying to find is the way to make the cuts correctly, in the cases you need to bend the foam.. thats ainly the problem i encounter..

Is there a software to do it?

How do you do it? Whats your way?

Thanks, Gonza..
gonzalito is offline Find More Posts by gonzalito
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
It all depends on the foam and radius of bend
Some you don't have to score the inside others you do, and then some you don't have to score as much as others. If your looking for help on something that you are working on we would need more information to help. This is a trial and error thing, The more experienced builders can ruffly tell by the foam and the radius of the bend how many score lines they are going to need.
The only help i can give you right now would be divide the bend length in about 4 and see if that works, if the foam feels like it will crack or brake put a line between the 4 and keep going like this tell you get it to work.
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
610 Posts
gonzalito,

Like Pinky said... it depends, not only on type of foam and thickness but also on whether you want round or cone final shape.

I think some of the experts will respond to your question.

"Sparks" has designed and shared many foamy planes, some cartoon, some not. In his many, many threads he offers different techniques for folding and bending foam to different shapes. Try a search of the forum for his threads.

TonyS
tonystro is online now Find More Posts by tonystro
Last edited by tonystro; Apr 07, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: to add reference to sparks
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:33 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
On this fun little plane, done with EPP, the fuse is done in one piece. The back end where the turtle deck is, was slit about half way through, bent down then a thin bead of hot glue down the joint. The curve in at the nose was done by taking a pie shaped piece out of the front, the pulling the edges together and hot glueing. Sort of a dumpy looking DR1 but a fun plane to fly. The wings and tail surfaces are dollar store foam.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Thats cool.. Actually since i only have acces to 2 cm foam, i made a bow cutter with which i can cut slices of the thickness i want..

Where do you get the design of the cartoonish plane? do you draw it yourself?

I think i may try a FW190...
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
The DR1 is my own fault But you can get some good ideas from this website. Looks like they scrunch them up to about half their length, put a bigger rudder on it and go from there. I made some pizza box models for combat just painted on in this manner.
http://blackheartart.com/
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Wow thanks those pictures are really cool.. Ill see what can i do from them.. I“ll let the engineering come out..
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Hi again.. Soooo i“ve made this in google sketchup..

If you are experienced in this.. How can i improve the making of all this?

I think the walls are ok and ready to cut and all.. But i have doubst about the desgin of inner structure.. I mean.. Should i define it now or wait and modify it during the building?

PS: its an A-4 skyhawk.. Toonished a bit...

If anyone wants the file let me know.. Its all scalable, and perhaps you can let me know the details you can add..
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
When bending depron and other eps sheets I find it helps to apply some strips of low tack painters tape to the back side (outside) of the bend. It helps to keep it from cracking and peels off easily once the bent piece has been glued in place.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
A trick I use is grab the wife's rolling pin and crush the foam slightly as you roll it go over it several times like this and it will start to curve on its own rather than cutting. just kind of ease it along you can get it to wrap around the rolling pin if need be, I created a foam tube for an duct fan unit. With the help of that tape trick above (thanks) on the outside of the foam this would work even better. The foam I use may be different so you will have to try this yourself on some scrape.

So what we going to do to night brain. Same thing we do every night pinky try to steal the wife's rolling pin and make airplanes Mahaha

For your drawings I would print out 2 one to use as building template and the other to markup with changes that you had to make during build. With that kind of complicated shape I would cut the framing parts out like you have, glue them to blue core forming a block of blue foam with the outline frame parts at the correct dimension apart like a 3d puzzle. Then cut/sand the blue away to the frame to form the shape that you want. Then hollow it out to reduce weight.
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Apr 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:03 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
Here is a pic of what I mean but you would only need half at a time then hollow out and glue the half's together
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2-IMG_9595.jpg