Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:00 PM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Question
Quick Connector Question...

Hey Guys,

I picked up an extra bat for my Super Cub and it's a Turnigy 1300mAh just like the stock one that came in the box. But, I stupidly went to the field with only the new battery and discovered that it wouldn't fit the male plane connector.
So I guess I have to send off for the correct connector for the plane. The one on the stock bat is blue and has EC3 embossed on it and the two poles are sort of separated. I thought it might be called a Dean's connector. Whereas the Turnigy is blue (if colors tell you anything) and the poles are 'encased' in a solid yellow plastic piece. What's the proper nomenclature for the stock (hobbyzone brand) battery connector so I can order the right one for my plane?

Maybe I'm not supposed to ask two questions in one post so just ignore this if so, but while I have ya here; should a 300 x 300 feet field be large enough to fly my Super Cub? It sure is big compared to my little Champ.

radio
radiocycle is offline Find More Posts by radiocycle
Last edited by radiocycle; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:58 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocycle View Post
What's the proper nomenclature for the stock (hobbyzone brand) battery connector so I can order the right one for my plane?
The stock battery that the super cub uses is a 3s 1300mAh 15C battery and it uses what is called an EC3 connector just like you said. If you're willing to do a little soldering you can run down to your LHS if you have one and pick up some EC3 battery connectors, they probably have them in stock, and replace the connectors on your turnigy batteries. Here's a video on how to do that.

Quote:
I thought it might be called a Dean's connector.
Deans connectors are a different type of connector that looks like this.

Quote:
Whereas the Turnigy is blue (if colors tell you anything) and the poles are 'encased' in a solid yellow plastic piece.
The yellow connector on your turnigy battery is called an XT60 connector. If you don't want to solder on some EC3 connectors then you'll need to buy a male XT60 to female EC3 adapter like this one.

Quote:
Maybe I'm not supposed to ask two questions in one post so just ignore this if so
Ask as many questions as you like, that's what this forum is here for.

Quote:
should a 300 x 300 feet field be large enough to fly my Super Cub? It sure is big compared to my little Champ.
No you should probably find a bigger area especially for your first few flights so you have some room to maneuver while you're trimming the plane and getting used to the faster speed.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Apr 07, 2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: mixed up the gender on the adapter
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,050 Posts
Stock = EC3

Yellow = XT50

The other common connectors are Deans and Anderson Power Poles. You'll find adherents and detractors for each.

I suspect you will find that way too small, esp. if the Cub is new to you. It takes up a lot more room.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Thanks Rayne & flydiver!

Most excellent info. Shame on me for confusing these with Dean's cons... I knew that, just forgot that I knew.
OK on the Anderson Pwr Poles, I switched all the DC power to APPs here in the W6FG radio shack.
I guess I'll go with the adapter, as that way I don't hve to make any decision one way or the other... ha! Easy and keeps my choices open for standardization down the road.

And yeah, that 300x300 works great for the Champ but I'd be a bit nervous with the S Cub!

Thanks again guys!

r
radiocycle is offline Find More Posts by radiocycle
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:32 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quick correction, you want the FEMALE EC3 to MALE XT60 adapter. The link has the correct adapter, I just mixed up the gender.

P.S. Good luck on your maiden.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne