SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:10 AM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
160 Posts
Question
What glue to Install magnets in Hatch Cover

Newbie question. What glue should I use to Install magnets in a plywood Hatch Cover?
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2006
368 Posts
I have used epoxy with good results,
Earl
earlcbrown is online now Find More Posts by earlcbrown
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
For this, would go for 15 minute epoxy, to give a little time for diddling around.

The real clever part is to use a minimum of epoxy to minimise the chances of gluing the hatch to the model... This suggests 'tacking' the magnets with a little epoxy around the back of the magnets and well away from any hatch/model interface areas to hold them, then applying a little more epoxy around them to make sure they are really secure.

I do this as soon as possible when building the hatch, so I can get at the magnets from both sides relatively easily. Not so easy if your model is pretty much built and covered.

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhale View Post
Newbie question. What glue should I use to Install magnets in a plywood Hatch Cover?

Epoxy, definitely. I use 6 minute and have enough time to work with it. Use emery cloth to roughen the sides of your magnets. And wax paper to separate the hatch from the body if you do it all at once.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Epoxy -

My tip
Take a drill bit about 1/2 the diameter of the magnet. (One with a flat rear end if you have it)
Heat the flat rear end with a propane torch for a couple of seconds and melt a hole where you want the magnet to go. Makes a nice round hole with hardened sides to really hold the magnet in. Don't get it too hot or the hole will be too big. As always, a little practice makes for perfection.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
Epoxy for sure. But in addtion sink the magnets down in a hollow pocket hole so you are using the sides of the magnet for the bond as well as the face.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
160 Posts
Epoxy did the job. Now if I can just find the second magnet. Should have stuck it to my tool chest.

Thank you
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:29 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Radio Shack sells rare earth magnets.
I use a sharpened brass tube to make the magnet 'pockets'.
+1 for epoxy...rough up the magnet ( post #4 ) then clean it with rubbing alcohol prior to installation.
There are times when a strip of tin can stock will work with each magnet.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Last edited by lindart; Apr 13, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
thick CA or epoxy. i like epoxy
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:47 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
the best part about epoxy is that you can slather it on top of the magnets which really helps. simple truth is that the small rare earth magnets we use now for hatches are waaaaay too strong. eventually they'll rip off especially foam.

a thin layer of epoxy on top of the magnets keep them separated so they dont latch as hard
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,933 Posts
I buff the sides of the magnets, to make fine grooves that'll help the glue hold better. Just don't get the magnets hot whilst doing it.

I also prefer to sink the magnets into bass or ply, with the hole cut just large enough so that I need a "C" clamp as a press to put them into place. After that, I soak them with CA.

I don't use two magnets; rather, I use a magnet on one side and a flat-head screw on the other. So far, I've yet to lose a hatch.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I just did this last night in foam with neodymium magnets. I used 5 minute epoxy.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
788 Posts
I use a flat head screw as well. I insert the screw with CA and when set I attach the magnet. Mark the magnet with a texture and position hatch with light pressure leaving the texture print on the balsa/ply. Drill the hole, apply epoxy and refit hatch securing with rubber bands. Leave overnight and you will have a perfectly aligned hatch/cockpit....
Fugbucker is offline Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,933 Posts
Another way to do it:

After mounting the magnet into place, put a dot of tape, sticky-side up, over the center of the magnet. Put the hatch in place and press down; the tape will stick to the hatch and mark where to put the screw.

Another point: when setting up the hatch, whatever glue you use, put a layer of sandwich wrap ("Saran Wrap") between the hatch and the rest of the model. Glue won't stick to it, it's very flexible, and it doesn't leave any residue (unlike waxed paper). You can even sand away with it in place.

BTW, I have my own roll of sandwich wrap in my workshop drawer, so I don't need to swipe it from the Mrs.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel