HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:14 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Bold statement since the 9XR hasnt been released and as far as I know we dont even know its final specs. But it hopefully will ship with backlight, solderless programmer for flashing, DSMX/DSM2 built in, more powerful antenna, antenna less likely to break as built into the handle and antenna able to be used by modules put in the module bay so you dont end up with a tx with 2 antennas. There are probably other items that have been improved over the stock 9X too. Yes you can buy a 9X and upgrade it but not for $50 all up. Im upgrading from my Spektrum DX6i and at moment 9XR seems fine to me, at least until the X12D comes out!
It's been stated it WILL have a backlight, it WON'T have a solder less programmer board (but a pin out it will have, close enough) and it WILL be able to take in modules to use the built in antenna, if the module has the output for it.
It also WILL have DSM2 for sure (they just said spektrum, but not sure if that includes DSMX, but I assume yes)

Also, can you upgrade a 9XR for telemetry any cheaper than a 9X?

The 9xr is not $50 for fully upgraded. It's a VERY good value for people who fly spektrum, and a CHEAP alternative, but can't and won't replace my ct6b or future 9x
Actually, it would replace my ct6b lol

Oh, and BTW, just for everyone to know, Spektrum may not be the best protocol out there, it is pretty damn good, and because its so popular, it is almost becoming universal. It already is the industry standard. But FPV, gliding, specialized applications, and anything non-casual, FrSky is the way to go for reliability, distance, metering signal strength, and robustness. The down side is you can't find anything that is a clone that is compatible

And spektrum, it's pretty damn good, and it is pretty robust on its DSMX protocol, and it is also pretty much the industry standard.

But LRS UHF 433 is the way to go for long range FPV, and FrSky is the way for short range.

I will eventually get some kind of DSMX module or transmitter in the future. You know why?
Because all of those bind and fly's, and the simplicity if bnf. Also, the ultra micros and nanos can't possibly be used with something other than spektrum.

Whatever floats your boat, dudes...
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:51 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
907 Posts
I really have nothing to add here except to comment that until this radio is released.......Name: icon_deadhorse.gif
Views: 95
Size: 2.3 KB
Description:
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
It's all about Quadcopters
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Nov 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
I really have nothing to add here except to comment that until this radio is released.......Attachment 5371565
lol!!

I find myself checking my emails about 10 times a day to see if there has been any update on the news feed or website even though I know its not coming out until after the 20th
ecreative is offline Find More Posts by ecreative
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:41 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Only 10 times a day?
Man you're gonna miss out unless you step that up
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:50 AM
It's all about Quadcopters
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Nov 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
Only 10 times a day?
Man you're gonna miss out unless you step that up
Yeah I know!
Thats why I made a 9xr email script to let me know but I dont want to miss out lol

And with all this arguing of who's making the remote and what the insides are going to be like I dont want to miss any stock updates
ecreative is offline Find More Posts by ecreative
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Bold statement since the 9XR hasnt been released and as far as I know we dont even know its final specs. But it hopefully will ship with backlight, solderless programmer for flashing, DSMX/DSM2 built in, more powerful antenna, antenna less likely to break as built into the handle and antenna able to be used by modules put in the module bay so you dont end up with a tx with 2 antennas. There are probably other items that have been improved over the stock 9X too. Yes you can buy a 9X and upgrade it but not for $50 all up. Im upgrading from my Spektrum DX6i and at moment 9XR seems fine to me, at least until the X12D comes out!
Its not a bold statement if it uses the same hardware, and furthermore, nothing you stated will make it a better radio for someone to hold off for if they need a radio right now.

Backlight....nice feature , but does it make it a better radio.....no, it adds no real functionality to the radio. The radio will not work any better because of it.

In fact some of the things you mention would be minuses. The antenna built into the handle is one of them. I dont agree with that. Plus to use the internal antenna with a different module, that module will have to be equipped with the antenna connector to do so. I cant think of any that do, and nobody other than HK is going to make one to do so, so your probably stuck with the stock module if you want to use the internal antenna.

The ONLY thing that would be an improvement that really amounts to anything at all, is if they decided to use better, ball bearing gimbals. We will have to wait to see about that, but nothing else that has been stated as fact, or conjecture will make it a "better" radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Oh, and BTW, just for everyone to know, Spektrum may not be the best protocol out there, it is pretty damn good, and because its so popular, it is almost becoming universal. It already is the industry standard. But FPV, gliding, specialized applications, and anything non-casual, FrSky is the way to go for reliability, distance, metering signal strength, and robustness. The down side is you can't find anything that is a clone that is compatible

And spektrum, it's pretty damn good, and it is pretty robust on its DSMX protocol, and it is also pretty much the industry standard.
Its not the INDUSTRY standard, its the CONSUMER standard as that's what they are told to buy. There is no industry standard

Actually, you have it backwards. Casual flying is where FrSky really pays off. There is no need for clone receivers etc. with FrSky , they are already cheap enough. The only reason places clone Spektrum and FASST is the very high cost of OEM equipment.

Quote:
But LRS UHF 433 is the way to go for long range FPV, and FrSky is the way for short range.
No, not really, depends on the situation and radio environment. While there are some other benefits, long range isn't necessarily one of them. FrSky has been shown to be just as effective for long range. BTW, 2.4GHz is still UHF!!
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Last edited by KKUSA; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
No, not really, depends on the situation and radio environment. While there are some other benefits, long range isn't necessarily one of them. FrSky has been shown to be just as effective for long range. BTW, 2.4GHz is still UHF!!
2.4GHz may still be UHF but, for the same power, you will get 1/25 of the line of sight distance of 433MHz.

This is because (from memory) range is proportional to the wavelength squared and 2.4GHz's wavelength is around 1/5 of 433MHz's wavelength. [(1/5)^2=1/25]
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
range is proportional to the wavelength squared and 2.4GHz's wavelength is around 1/5 of 433MHz's wavelength. [(1/5)^2=1/25]
not quite. youre probably confusing with power vs distance. range is not square but based on free space (fris etc) equations which generally result in closer to direct proportion. 433 will get closer to 5x farther than 25x farther. in other words doubling frequency gives about half range.

in the real world of long range models (fpv, ap, uav, etc) penetration is more important and also gets better the lower you go. thats where 2.4ghz (line of sight) loses big time and 72mhz is hard to beat. 35mhz would be even better except 20' antennas are hard to manage and its not allowed here anyway.

speaking of which biggest problem is illegal use of power levels (ie 99% of those in the fpv forums). pollution of airwaves makes it virtually impossible for honest hobbyists to utilize legal setups for long rang operation. these clowns interfere with each other so double their power which results in more interference so they double again... yadda... yadda... a runaway situation.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: pollution pirates
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
...Those of you needing a radio, there is no real reason to wait for the 9XR unless all you want it for it its looks...
What an absolutely ludicrous statement.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,975 Posts
i guess to one w/o a clue anybody who does have one seems to be the clueless one. lol!

i see 3 types in these threads. fanboys, naysayers, and the ones in the middle. there is little hope for the first because the ad campaigns and marketing tactics have obviuosly hit soft targets. the second will also be hard to change usually due to either ego or hidden agendas. the last are the only ones actually capable of understanding but will have the hardest time of all being overwhelmingly outnumbered.

for guys that are helpless with a soldering iron or for some reason have aversion to stevens smartiepants product the 9xr may be worth holding out for. other than that it makes little sense to wait.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Turnigy well HK is working with FrSky on making a module that will use the internal antenna. Also I don understand why every one gets so pissy..these are inexpensive Tx that perform a lot of functions for much less cost there there competitors. Yes it may not be a furtuba but it also isn't 600$ and I will speak for guys that are married..my wife wouldn't care if I spent a 100 dollars on a Tx but the wrath I would get for spending 600 is indescribable.
jmacfann is offline Find More Posts by jmacfann
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
turnigy9xr.com
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacfann View Post
I will speak for guys that are married..my wife wouldn't care if I spent a 100 dollars on a Tx but the wrath I would get for spending 600 is indescribable.
You should buy her more jewelry. It works wonders. That's what I do.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreative View Post
Yeah I know!
Thats why I made a 9xr email script to let me know but I dont want to miss out lol

And with all this arguing of who's making the remote and what the insides are going to be like I dont want to miss any stock updates
Yah, me too... life is going to be pretty boring when the thing is released and we find out it's just another nice transmitter.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Gone Flying
United States, IN, Covington
Joined Dec 2012
762 Posts
Turnigy 9XR vs 9X

I am really a noob with RC. In fact I am so new I may even be a pre-noob. I fly coaxial helios and really enjoy it. Flying Helios has always been on the bucket list and now that the nest is nearly empty I am moving forward. I have a V911 on the way and intend to move into other FP and eventually CP once I have mastered FP and sims.

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Turnigy 9x or Flysky 9x and then I read where the 9XR is about to be released. I am so new that I am not yet equipped with the knowledge to truly know if the 9XR will work with the V911 or not.

What I am looking for is a transmitter that is versatile and gives me the most options to buy helios and maybe even a plane or two and really enjoy learning. I don't mean to hijack the thread. I could not find a better place to ask about the 9XR than here.

Any and all thoughts and input is welcome. I still wonder if I should just get the 9X but would feel silly missing the 9XR by two weeks if it is truly a better unit and will still work with the V911.
TechJunkieRC is offline Find More Posts by TechJunkieRC
RCG Plus Member