HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
I think there are a couple of HK haters on the thread that aren't trying to contribute much but just stir the pot.
Correct.
I can guarantee that there is a big bunch of posters with a vested interest in Flsky, Spektrum, Futaba etc that are also trying to derail the 9XR. And there would be a bigger group of users of those systems who don't like their radios being undercut by a radio with great capabilities by HK.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Im not waiting for a $200 radio with telemetry. It already exists!

$200 shipped gets you the TX, RX, Hub, and all the sensors except for GPS...

I LOVE the Turnigy 9X, and I LOVE Turnigy batteries, (Especially the nano-tech) and I LOVE HOBBYKING!

But I just don't wan't to buy something just cause it's cool. The 9X has a strong user base. The 9XR is simply for those who want a DX8 replacement! (Without telemetry)
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I dont want a 9xr as a dx8 replacement, more for a good beater tx i can toss in a bag for travel and a cheap tx my kid can toss around
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:01 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,469 Posts
Quote:
I think there are a couple of HK haters on the thread that aren't trying to contribute much but just stir the pot.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

HK is already part of RC history and made the hobby available to people that otherwise couldn't afford it..
I think no one is trying to stir any pot and everybody has the same right to share their opinion.. Others agree or not..

Please look at the picture of the new radio, speccially at the buttons and the screen..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1326

It really looks like the 9x. It makes me believe that the board could have a very similar design not to say reeeeeaaallly similar
Of course without a picture from the inside of the radio this is pure speculation.. So don't start saying that I'm a HK hater
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Last edited by jhsa; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
I think no one is trying to stir any pot
Yeah right .... of course .... I must be imagining things.

WAKE UP!!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
is the 9xr still going to use dsm2?

also from the pic it just looks like a recased 9xr with a backlight (supposedly)

i wonder if they just bought a boatload of fs-th9x's and recased them
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
Yeah right .... of course .... I must be imagining things.
Since I saw a pig riding a bike I believe in everything..

Quote:
WAKE UP!!!
WAKE UP?? At this time of the night?? I'm going to sleep now and will sleep well as this is the least of my worries
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
I can't speak for others but my concerns have nothing to do with loving or hating HK.

If the 9XR lives up to expectations I will be purchasing one and equipping it with Frsky as I always intended. If it proves unacceptable for my use I will mod a 9X myself or purchase something else.

If the 9XR does come with the Orange DSMX tx module as standard then I would just make my own replacement using parts from a genuine Spektrum unit; not a big deal.

Of course if the 9XR were to turn up equipped with a DSM2 only module then the new transmitter and the Orange DSMX capable tx issue are not directly connected.

regards
Bob Comerford
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Bob
Sounds like you are one of the core users of this thread who like me really just want details of the 9XR implementation.

HK has already stated that it will be DSM2/DSMX capable out of the box but other modules can be used. Therefore the most likely scenario is that it comes with the orange Tx or another version of it which has DSM2 and DSMX capability.

I am also interested in the FrSky development because I have no favorites and may buy either/both. However, some of the pro-Frsky fanatics that post turn me off because I don't want to be "one of them"
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
also as has been mentioned the current firmwares are not really ready for the average user. a few more of the sharp edges need to be sanded down. finally they are all being constantly updated so hard to aquire a moving target.
AFAIK the limiting factor is the memory of the atmega 64 if a flashy GUI is preferred. There is a firmware version for atmega128/256 though? I have no plans to buy the 9XR at this moment, since I have some time and money invested in pimping my 9x's. Anyway it is very interesting to follow this thread and the saga of the HK radio in general. My long term future plans go with 9x or new frsky models or something like Jeti. 9XR is no upgrade since I already have backlight, pinout, telemetry and er9x. Plus I cannot imagine what I would need the spektrum protocol for.

The 9xr really should be frsky telemetry ready to show data on display with the hardware configured at factory so no mods needed for that apart from plugging in the DJT module.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
So, if it has the same chip, does that make it the same radio? I think not.
Yes, basically it does in this case. You are comparing it to a desktop computer system, which runs a MICROPROCESSOR , and a bunch of support hardware which can vary from system to system, which the BIOS helps out with a basic set of instructions that the OS can use with any hardware.

The 9X and the 9XR use a MICROCONTROLLER, which is a type of processor that integrates all the hardware to interface to the outside world directly on the die.

You cannot compare the two. Completely different types of "computer" systems.

In this case, both radios use the same microcontroller, hence they have the same hardware. Regardless if they are using pots and switches made by another manufacturer, its still the same. There is no external hardware that differs to make the "computer" work.

Yes, they will differ in appearance , and functionality as they are shipped, as they will be running different software. However, that doesn't necessarily make them different. A more accurate comparison to a desktop would be two systems identical in hardware, one running windows and one running linux, and one is built in a different case. They are still the same computer, have basically the same functionality, they just look a little different.

So, considering that it will be the same hardware with a different facade, and two less switches. Those of you needing a radio, there is no real reason to wait for the 9XR unless all you want it for it its looks, which IMHO, is a step back from the 9X. The 9X isn't perfect in appearance either, but it suits my taste better.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Last edited by KKUSA; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Personally I find er9x very easy to use, unlike the 9x stock firmware. Very logical and easy to figure and there are set templates to start you off. Not complex at all, though you can set up complex mixes easily.
That's a good point. I used the templates to get started and it was about as simple as could be. One great thing about er9x is that once you understand the mix screen you understand just about everything the radio does.

Personally, having everything on the mix screen makes it easier for me than having different screens for reversing, throws, etc.

Somewhat off topic, I've always hoped that the original 9x firmware author went to work designing software for nuclear reactors or something!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:33 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
However, some of the pro-Frsky fanatics that post turn me off because I don't want to be "one of them"
Seriously? The Pro-DSM fanatics dont? They are the worst!!! At least when the FrSky guys tout it, you can believe it. However, if you were a DSM fanatic you would be cool cuz that's the "cool" system to have, and your buddies wont laugh at you. You can buy FrSky and use it secretly when you are flying by yourself.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:39 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
... Those of you needing a radio, there is no real reason to wait for the 9XR unless all you want it for it its looks, which IMHO, is a step back from the 9X. The 9X isn't perfect in appearance either, but it suits my taste better.
Bold statement since the 9XR hasnt been released and as far as I know we dont even know its final specs. But it hopefully will ship with backlight, solderless programmer for flashing, DSMX/DSM2 built in, more powerful antenna, antenna less likely to break as built into the handle and antenna able to be used by modules put in the module bay so you dont end up with a tx with 2 antennas. There are probably other items that have been improved over the stock 9X too. Yes you can buy a 9X and upgrade it but not for $50 all up. Im upgrading from my Spektrum DX6i and at moment 9XR seems fine to me, at least until the X12D comes out!
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
In terms of ease of use with stock firmware vs er9x:
Try doing flaps with the 3 position switch. It took me quite a few hours to work out three position flaps on the 9x and then it would still only work if you linked it to the throttle hold switch! However, with not even referencing the manual, I set it up within only a few minutes on the er9x. Very easy.

Recently I setup head tracking with er9x. I could disable head tracking and centre the camera with a flick of a switch and use the two pots to fine tune the camera. Once again it was a fairly simple task.

The only time I had to have help was setting up tri rates on the three position switch and that example was in the manual.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea