HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:04 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
I don't care for the 9xr.

For $220 shipped, you can get a 9x, a FrSky djt module, LCD, a hub, a voltage meter, and a variometer, and HAVE FULL TEMEMETRY! With the one of the BEST Frequency hopping system out there from FrSky.

On a spektrum analyzer, FrSky and FAAST are the most bulletproof.

Also, the signal strength beeping alarm on FrSky is TOTALLY useful!

All for under $220 shipped.

Sure there are cheaper ways, but not without cracking over the case or pulling out a soldering iron!

But you can't beat that value.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Great catch! Very interesting - that is a brand new file, it wasn't there at the start of the week. It seems to suggest there are either 6 or 15 IDs in each unit, and the fact they they only differ in the 3rd bit each time would suggest they weren't gathered from genuine Spektrum TXs (if they had been it would be statistically unlikely that this was the only way they varied). With my limited technical knowledge that's about all i can deduce though - over to the techies!
well, it is not a single bit, there are 15 different codes with single digit in hex changing (0 is missing), so that is 4 bits, if you would sort it, you would see, that it simply goes from 1 to F, so it looks like some troll is having fun.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:39 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
I don't care for the 9xr.

For $220 shipped, you can get a 9x, a FrSky djt module, LCD, a hub, a voltage meter, and a variometer, and HAVE FULL TEMEMETRY! ...
Your math is slightly wrong, is even cheaper, $195
$50 9X + $50 DJT combo + $20 display + $16 hub + $9 voltage sensor + $25 vario (the new) + $25 shipping = $195.

For same money you can have Amp meter instead hub, and have one more feature.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Your math is slightly wrong, is even cheaper, $195
$50 9X + $50 DJT combo + $20 display + $16 hub + $9 voltage sensor + $25 vario (the new) + $25 shipping = $195.

For same money you can have Amp meter instead hub, and have one more feature.
Ah, I had picked a better shipper. There is tax, and I believe that sometimes customs holds your package for ransom

You can get a fully set up TX/RX with all the bells and whistles, no modding needed, 8 CH, telemetry, plug and play (Except the Amp meter which must be soldered) and it makes me laugh looking at 72 Mhz JR radios for sale for $295 or $225... It's like jewelry. You don't need it, and it's not used for anything, but it's shiny, looks cool, makes others think your cool, and is nice to have.

But you still see my point. The 9XR has too many issues. Sure, it is nice as a replacement for DSMX from JR or Spektrum, but I still think the protocol stinks. I mean it is pretty good, but now that it is cloned, too many issues.

FrSky is great, and cheap, FAAST is even better, and is pretty bullet-proof.

If the 9XR had telemetry like the DX8, I would consider it. The 9XR is GREAT and PERFECT for those with a bunch of Bind and Fly's using a single cheap DX6i or something, but someone who hasn't invested in Spektrum should go FrSky, FAAST, or maybe even FlySky, due to the fact that receivers are cheap.

The only one I would trust though for long range, or big models, is FAAST, FrSky, and that's it.

Hobbyking just needs to release any kind of module from anywhere, frsky, futaba, anywhere... with LRS UHF 2 way telemetry.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:57 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
pilotavery
I cannot understand your logic. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to change your mind. Quite the contrary I am happy to hear someone not wanting a 9XR. Its one less person competing for the stocks when it is released.

As to the logic. You say that you would get a 9X and add stuff to it but a 9XR is simply a 9X upgrade. It is module based so you don't have to stick with the DSM protocol.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
pilotavery
I cannot understand your logic. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to change your mind. Quite the contrary I am happy to hear someone not wanting a 9XR. Its one less person competing for the stocks when it is released.

As to the logic. You say that you would get a 9X and add stuff to it but a 9XR is simply a 9X upgrade. It is module based so you don't have to stick with the DSM protocol.
Unless I can get a module less 9xr for the same price as a 9x, it's pointless, as I won't be using the module. I also like that there is already a strong community base behind the 9x too, and it will take months or years before all the good mods start coming out.

It's cool, but its cheaper and easier for me to go the 9x route.

And, when the 9xr is released, 9xes, even modded, will be worth less than before, So I can get one really cheap then.

And all the spektrum mess... That too...

But don't get me wrong.

I do like the while bind and fly universal thing going on with spektrum. I also think the 9xr is cool looking (even more so if it was in white) but I think it is meant more for a DX8 replacement. I might consider it if people get telemetry on it though.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,641 Posts
I will be adding the upcoming Frsky module to mine that hopefully will plug into the aerial/handle so you dont end up with 2 aerials and also hopefully will support the new Frsky protocol!.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:56 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
well, it is not a single bit, there are 15 different codes with single digit in hex changing (0 is missing), so that is 4 bits, if you would sort it, you would see, that it simply goes from 1 to F, so it looks like some troll is having fun.
Oh, sorry - I did not realise anyone can upload files to HK, I just assumed it had to be them. I agree we should therefore consider this info invalid
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Can everyone just stop complaining about the 9XR and get the more expensive radio if you want it, I'm not stopping you!

Not all of us want a fancy 15 channel radio with FAAST and telemetry! Hell, I'm only starting on five channel planes at the moment with a key-chain camera on the front.

And if I had my choice I would have stuck with my 9X but I broke it and I am currently getting shi*ty as my backup radio, a DX5e running DSM2, can barely do a crappy imitation of delta mixing and only binds one RX at a time!

Stop complaining about how the 9XR is a crap radio and think of the little people who have to put up with DX4 s and DX5 s!

(Note: RCgroups doesn't like shi*ty, but doesn't mind crap)
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
I'll be getting a 9XR just to own a part of history.

And to drive my boats and cars.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Stop complaining about how the 9XR is a crap radio...
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
You are lucky that I am on my phone at the moment otherwise there would have been the GIF war to end all GIF wars!

(I actually think the 9XR is an excellent radio, its just a few people here have expectations too high for a $50 + shipping radio)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
Can everyone just stop complaining about the 9XR and get the more expensive radio if you want it, I'm not stopping you!Not all of us want a fancy 15 channel radio with FAAST and telemetry! Hell, I'm only starting on five channel planes at the moment with a key-chain camera on the front.

And if I had my choice I would have stuck with my 9X but I broke it and I am currently getting shi*ty as my backup radio, a DX5e running DSM2, can barely do a crappy imitation of delta mixing and only binds one RX at a time!

Stop complaining about how the 9XR is a crap radio and think of the little people who have to put up with DX4 s and DX5 s!

(Note: RCgroups doesn't like shi*ty, but doesn't mind crap)
I very much agree.

It is quite amusing to hear that ANYONE can call the 9XR a crap radio. It has not even been released.

People like that don't allow facts to interfere with their opinions. So I weight their opinions accordingly.

If the 9XR, which is not shipping, does not seem to be the right radio for someone, they should get something else. Pretty simple. No need for one to trash a product that one has never touched.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I very much agree.

It is quite amusing to hear that ANYONE can call the 9XR a crap radio. It has not even been released.

People like that don't allow facts to interfere with their opinions. So I weight their opinions accordingly.

If the 9XR, which is not shipping, does not seem to be the right radio for someone, they should get something else. Pretty simple. No need for anyone to trash a product that one has never touched.
Exactly!

+1

Rebloged

Shared

Retweeted

And what ever else I can do to get the message out there!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
it will take months or years before all the good mods start coming out.
like a few here you dont seem to realize the 9xr IS a 9x. it is not a new design at all. just a 9x with a few of the bugs fixed (but uglier faceplate). a 9x with dsm module or a 9xr with flysky module are close to the same thing. either way will cover 90% of the models out there at a fraction the cost of any "brand" setup. cheaper AND more flexible.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993