Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:28 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Sure, and will be $30, another hint ...
Very doubtful considering that the other Orange Receivers cost significantly less than that. The 6ch is only $5.89
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:28 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
Probably the single reason about why they switch to DSM on 9XR is because FlySky modules lacks of failsafe,
And the most cheap way to get DSM modules are OrangeRx company, no thats why i believe they are using this shame of protocol now, and why i think OrangeRx is the manufacturer of this radio,
FlySKy RF is much better in my opinion, really good range and use lot of channels to avoid interferences, however the failsafe lack is also a shame.
The failsafe is in the receiver, not module. Newest (2012) Flysky 3ch car/boat receivers have the failsafe. It is set just like the FrSky, adjust the channels to your liking and press the failsafe button on receiver to save the channel positions. How do I know? Because I use them.

Beats me why flysky has not made 6- & 8-channel receivers with failsafe. They sure know how to.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Last edited by B12; Dec 12, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:31 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Thanks marhar for the link. I gather that if I used this in my current 9x radio I would have to re-bind all my models to this FlySky module? Not a bad thing.

Not sure if it was a rumour or not, but I did read somewhere that users were having issues with signal range with modules that had the antenna built onto them... something to do with the antenna and metal rear hand rail. Is this true?
Yes, I believe you are correct. The new module will have a different ID (or something) than the module in your current radio.

So far, I haven't had any signal problems. For my larger planes I use a FrSky module, so perhaps it's just because I'm using the FlySky module for my smaller park flyers.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
Very doubtful considering that the other Orange Receivers cost significantly less than that. The 6ch is only $5.89
Comparing apples with mandarins...
The 6ch is done with 50c mouse chips, while dsmx receiver requires serious RF transceiver and powerful MCU.
Reality check: what is the cost of 7/9ch DSM2 receiver(s) ?
Also, the $50 transmitter should be compensated from other source, don't you think it really cost $50 only to manufacture
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
You're talking about DSM2. DSMX is as good a protocol as FlySky.

Only issue is that there are no Orange DSMX Rx yet, though Anthony Hand hinted that they will be coming. Would be good if it coincided with the 9XR launch.
I still think the Futaba FAAST is the best. Technically. After testing with real world tests and spectrum analysers to see what it does and how it responds to different noises. It's nearly bullet proof!

But the FrSky with telemetry is WAY up there too, and is similar to the FAAST. I started with no meters, just because it showed the signal strength, and that was enough for me.

I plan on getting my own radio soon, so when the guy down the street moves, I have a real radio to use.

Even when the 9XR comes out, after Christmas, I will purchase a standard 9x without module, the djt module, the hub, a vario meter (glider... Beep beep) and the voltage meter, as well as the LCD screen. All of this is just over $200 shipped.

Each receiver with telemetry is only $25, and the hubs with vario and voltage are another 30, but I think simply using a single receiver and plugging it in each time would be the better way to go.

Darn, I am half asleep and just kept on typing off topic. Oh well.

But still, FrSky and FAAST still have the edge over DSMX and beat DSM2 3fold.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Comparing apples with mandarins...
The 6ch is done with 50c mouse chips, while dsmx receiver requires serious RF transceiver and powerful MCU.
Chips used is irrelevant. Only whether it works is relevant and the 6ch Orange certainly does.

Quote:
Reality check: what is the cost of 7/9ch DSM2 receiver(s) ?
The 7ch IS $17.99 AND 9ch is 22.95 both significantly less than $30. Most fliers only use 4-6 channels anyway.

Quote:
Also, the $50 transmitter should be compensated from other source, don't you think it really cost $50 only to manufacture
I am sure it costs a lot less than $50 to manufacture otherwise do you think they would sell them for $50? Get real!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:13 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Chips used is irrelevant. Only whether it works is relevant and the 6ch Orange certainly does.

The 7ch IS $17.99 AND 9ch is 22.95 both significantly less than $30. Most fliers only use 4-6 channels anyway.

I am sure it costs a lot less than $50 to manufacture otherwise do you think they would sell them for $50? Get real!
Amazon literally sold the kindle fire for less than advertising costs. They lost like $10 for every one they sold. They hoped to make it up from royalties from app sales, book sales, Netflix royalties, etc.

Perhapse HK is charging minus shipping costs what it cost to make, hoping people will buy more orange RXes? Nah, jk, but they might not be making as much as you think. But they are in china, the cheap crap Capitol of the world. Stuff is cheap to make there......
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:50 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
Even when the 9XR comes out, after Christmas, I will purchase a standard 9x without module, the djt module, the hub, a vario meter (glider... Beep beep) and the voltage meter, as well as the LCD screen. All of this is just over $200 shipped.
Why not wait until the FrSky 9XD? Was supposed to be out the end of this year but obviously missed that date. But at any rate it shouldn't be too long. Then you've got all the above without the hassle of modding and probably for less (though prices haven't been released).
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:02 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Quote:
...I am sure it costs a lot less than $50 to manufacture otherwise do you think they would sell them for $50? Get real!
I am very real knowing the manufacturing cost of Frsky transmitter...

Yous seems not knowing too much about HK marketing model.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:07 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
$50 will probably be the initial release price. I think it will probably settle around the $75 mark. Otherwise the 6 ch Orange Tx makes no sense.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
in my opinion there is no doubt that the manufacture price of a single unit is more than 50$
its going to take some time until they recover the inversion to make the very expensive plastic molds
they will sell at a lost some hundreds of units to flood a bit the market then rise the price, probably at 65$-70$ or so.
That kind of behavior is forbidden in some countries, and still done by biggest companies, and hk could be everything but a tinny one.

In hk is also usual see sometimes they did a mistake in a price, wait the massive viral spam, then cancel all orders... as price was wrong...
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:28 AM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
I am very real knowing the manufacturing cost of Frsky transmitter...

Yous seems not knowing too much about HK marketing model.
Ummmm this is a 9XR thread.

We are talking about 9XR prices not Frsky Prices. If Frsky manufacturing costs are higher than Hobbykings manufacturing costs that's their lookout.

It seems from what you are saying that Frsky will be trying to enter the "elite" market with the pricing of their upcoming transmitters. And you are trying to bag the Turnigy 9XR. If that is the case I for one wont be even considering a Frsky as an additional transmitter. I would also guess that there would be a large number of customers like myself.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:38 AM
Registered Adict
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
in my opinion there is no doubt that the manufacture price of a single unit is more than 50$
its going to take some time until they recover the inversion to make the very expensive plastic molds
they will sell at a lost some hundreds of units to flood a bit the market then rise the price, probably at 65$-70$ or so.
That kind of behavior is forbidden in some countries, and still done by biggest companies, and hk could be everything but a tinny one.

In hk is also usual see sometimes they did a mistake in a price, wait the massive viral spam, then cancel all orders... as price was wrong...
Hobbykings turnover of the 9X range of transmitters is huge. There is little doubt that it will be the same for the 9XR. That being the case the setup costs for manufacture become a lot smaller number.
However, I have still not seen any evidence to say whether the DSM module is a part of that $50 price. They may well bundle this up with the initial offering to ensure their foothold in the market. But it is possible that longer term the extra $20 for the module may be an add on.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:01 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,534 Posts
I wonder if this tx with dsm will have the same GUID problems that the orange tx apears to have..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa