HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 10:20 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
Frsky Transmitter it will be out in few month comes with telemetry built in.
finger crossed on that TX being affordable and open source like the 9X.

They need to make the Transmitter soft to touch or hold ( something like a phone case )

make the TX a little smaller also help, i hate travel around with a huge TX.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
finger crossed on that TX being affordable and open source like the 9X.

They need to make the Transmitter soft to touch or hold ( something like a phone case )

make the TX a little smaller also help, i hate travel around with a huge TX.
Yes it will be affordable less then 200 bucks. Yes opensource. Yes model match as spektrum. Will be more then what 9x would ever be. Yes will have built in feature for telemetry.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old May 21, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
i read it will be ~99$ the x12d
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
i read it will be ~99$ the x12d
I don't think it would cost that little. But amazing spec.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old May 22, 2012, 01:27 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Yeah, I too want to see a smaller tx. When you are using a transmitter bigger than your model it's a bit silly.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old May 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
you can be pretty sure it will not be small. i am the original champion of ergonomic radios on rc groups. when i first proposed small case size there was huge resistance and ridicule. "experienced" rc users do not yet realize they dont have to be as big as classic transmitters from the days of vacuum tubes and relays. even transistor based designs were copied from these. today with integrated circuits its no longer necessary to allow electronic conponents to determine size.

of course most hotshots will claim they need to be that big for comfortable operation but imo thats baloney. they are just used to the old style and because the more expensive units tend to be bigger and heavier think thats the way it should be. we all resist new concepts even if theres no logic to it. most manufacturers are even slower to change so dont hold your breath.

more and more people (mostly newer and younger members) are starting to realize big isnt always better. someday it will be possible to buy a radio that allows you to launch a plane with one hand and comfortably control throttle with the other. soon there will be no need for trays, harnesses, and other contraptions to help lug around these clumsy boxes. but that time is not yet here.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
you can be pretty sure it will not be small. i am the original champion of ergonomic radios on rc groups. when i first proposed small case size there was huge resistance and ridicule. "experienced" rc users do not yet realize they dont have to be as big as classic transmitters from the days of vacuum tubes and relays. even transistor based designs were copied from these. today with integrated circuits its no longer necessary to allow electronic conponents to determine size.

of course most hotshots will claim they need to be that big for comfortable operation but imo thats baloney. they are just used to the old style and because the more expensive units tend to be bigger and heavier think thats the way it should be. we all resist new concepts even if theres no logic to it. most manufacturers are even slower to change so dont hold your breath.

more and more people (mostly newer and younger members) are starting to realize big isnt always better. someday it will be possible to buy a radio that allows you to launch a plane with one hand and comfortably control throttle with the other. soon there will be no need for trays, harnesses, and other contraptions to help lug around these clumsy boxes. but that time is not yet here.
Well put. I sincerely hope we see transmitters like this in the near future.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old May 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:

Only if you've got small hands. I definitely like my radios big. But the physical lay-out should make sense and allow for control with all hand and finger sizes in mind.

I totally like the recent trend towards bigger mobile phones. Who's ever decided that a TINY screen makes sense when it comes to browsing the web or watching videos? Trust me, everything should become bigger, not smaller! Size does matter, regardless of what they tell you.

For once with the T9x, people with bigger hands get to have a nicer control. Then again, no quad bearing sticks or high resolution because it's a cheap radio, so it still ends up behind.

In fact, that's exactly why I like my Walkera Devo 8 so much at the moment. It seems to have a bit of both worlds so to speak, at an extremely fair price.

I think the 9xR will have to be very close to $50.00 for it to take the place of it's predecessor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz View Post
Yes, you are correct, but RUD->ELEV is one of the built-in mixes. I mentioned that I was referring to the P. Mixes. I don't see any way to add the trims (LT, RT, ...) to a P. Mix.

PHMX: You indicated there are many ways to implement an easily adjustable mix. Can you clarify using my P. Mix example of throttle to elevator? I haven't been able to get this to work on my A9.
I didn't ignore this comment, but I've yet to find some time programming a mix like you intend to. Could you elaborate a little more on what exactly it must accomplish? Just to make sure I'm in full understanding of your gripe or problem with the A9.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
358 Posts
Quote:

Hah!! Multiplex already designed that radio case a long time ago. The Multiplex Cockpit MM was the thinest, lightest and most comfortable hand held radio ever designed. It was as if it had been designed from the start for DLG guys!!!
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Last edited by crazy8s; May 22, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:34 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
yes, very close to my dream radio. wish they werent so expensive and still made them.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
the question remains , when will they sell the new turnigy radio... ?
it seems to be a good choice for people who do not want to spend a lot of money for a secondary radio or for those who want to modify a radio for fpv

regarding a great, comfortable hand held radio : have a look at the xg-8 from JR , expensive but good quality and very good even for people with small hands like me
M4d_D is offline Find More Posts by M4d_D
Old May 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,001 Posts
Quote:

I agree. At least some radios should be in a smaller package. And it's not just for the handlaunchers. I'm teaching my grandsons (6 and 9) to fly RC and the big transmitters are just too much for them. The smallest I've found (apart from the little ones that come with the indoor models) is the DX4e.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I agree. At least some radios should be in a smaller package. And it's not just for the handlaunchers. I'm teaching my grandsons (6 and 9) to fly RC and the big transmitters are just too much for them. The smallest I've found (apart from the little ones that come with the indoor models) is the DX4e.
You should perhaps look into the Devo 6 radios from Walkera then. Awesome price, small and the receivers won't break the bank either. Oh, and very decent quality.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
I thought it was the gimbals making transmitters thick. Also, if I could take the antenna off my DX6i I could fit it in a box with my sailboat, allowing me to bike with it. I certainly do agree that manufacturers have made no effort to reduce transmitter bulk.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old May 24, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
I guess that's true at least to some extent, but there have been many transmitters that are considerably smaller on the market already and none of them have really taken a big part of the market because of that.

A transmitter has to be far far more than just ergonomically the 'just right size' in my humble opinion. And as said, I wouldn't buy any radio that's smaller than my Devo 8, as I'd be fighting the sticks with my bigger hands. And mine aren't even really that big compared to the average European hands and fingers.