HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
OK, so is there a link to this hk cable that will be needed please?
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
technically its a programmer (dongle in pop parlance) not a cable but heres the link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html

a great deal considering, as i said, it comes with the much more convenient 6 pin cable. for those that dont like wiring well worth the extra 2 bucks over $3 ebay units that have the 10 pin atmel pinout.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
Thanks, much appreciated.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,199 Posts
[QUOTE=dave1993;23446444]both wrong. none of the three boards i purchased from steven had a built-in programmer. backlight... yes. jack for an isp dongle... yes. programmer... no. unless he has added one recently which i doubt.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

Have you even looked at this page
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
both wrong. none of the three boards i purchased from steven had a built-in programmer. backlight... yes. jack for an isp dongle... yes. programmer... no. unless he has added one recently which i doubt.
Weird. It's described as a programmer, and all I used was a normal USB cable to the PC, and some software drivers.

How did you use the Smartieparts board with an external programmer?
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Dave are you off your meds? The smartieparts board was and always has been a no solder programmer board for the 9x. Not a no solder interface for connecting a programmer. Also, the HK USB asp programmer you linked to has a 10 pin connector. The cable just has a 6 pin breakout. All the eBay versions are the same thing. My eBay USB asp's have all come with a 10 and 6 pin combo cable.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
was it always built-in? i did not use the boards myself but installed for some local guys. and the ones i put in had el not led backlight. i always figured this was a good deal for those who dont like to solder but with the improvements and lower price id have to say its a bargain.

im also very curious how the new teleme-trees is going to work out.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Yes early ones were el and then that changed when Stevens el source dried up and the HK led backlight was the better solution.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Also, the HK USB asp programmer you linked to is a 10 pin connector. The cable just has a 6 pin breakout. All the eBay versions are the same thing. My eBay USB asp's have all come with a 10 and 6 pin combo cable.
well.. at the risk of making a fool of myself again ill say that none of the 300 or so $3 ebay usbasp (both lcsoft and betemcu design) came with 6 pin. i might have missed the boat on the smartiepants. i was sure it had just pinout, dont actually use them myself and it was couple years ago. but id like to see a link to the $3 ebay with 6 pin.

btw 300 is no exaggeration. and if i could find 6 pin versions cheap it would save me a lot of work. more expensive units like the hk one do come with a variety of adapters but afaik not the cheapo usbasp dongles.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:18 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
I think there is some confusion with the use of the word programmer in reference to the Smartieparts board.

The board is a solderless solution for flashing firmware to your 9x, specifically er9x, open9x, radio clone, etc. After the board is installed in your radio, it interfaces with your PC via a mini USB dongle located in the battery compartment. You use a software interface such as eepe to connect and flash information to the tx. That IS a programmer.

The wired one people are speaking of requires extensive soldering to make it work, and even soldering to the tiny atmega pins. This is also a programmer as it also interfaces with the EEPROM with the ability to flash new firmware.

Latest revision also supports HK backlight and new TelemetrEz (which is a way to view your FrSky telemetry directly on the stock 9x screen, though you can install this without the smartieparts board with some additional soldering).

Read here and note "programming board" in the title:
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

I hope that clears some things up...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yes, im aware of the difference but time clouds the memory. and as crucial suggests i admit to palming my meds lately, they interfere with my "creativity". lol! just because its called "programming board" dont necessarily mean built-in but the m8 footprint is a dead giveaway.

anyway id like to find a 6-pin version of the $3 usbasp. i see adapters for couple bucks and versions that cost 2x more than hk but no cheap ones. i dont know why because the 6 pin interface is far more common. it would save me quite a bit of expense and effort on one of my regular assembly house jobs. theres another lot going out end of month and a link would be great.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
The wired one people are speaking of requires extensive soldering to make it work, and even soldering to the tiny atmega pins.
I would not call soldering six wires to pre-tinned contact patches on the PBC extensive. Assuming one can solder at all. If not, then the sp board is a good choise. The downside is 10x price. I prefer the soldered one because it is piece of cake plus it is 100% secure connection which is not affected by dirt or time.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Last edited by B12; Dec 05, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
I would not call soldering six wires to pre-tinned contact patches on the PBC extensive. Assuming one can solder at all. If not, then the sp board is a good choise. The downsixe is 10x price. I prefer the soldered one because it is piece of cake plus it is 100% secure connection which is not affected by dirt or time.
I just wasn't initially thrilled about soldering my tx when I first got it...I had done wire type soldering only and guess I was a little intimidated by soldering on a circuit board...SP was a good alternative for me albeit the cost...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:24 PM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
755 Posts
Hi guys, i want to get a better screen and a better board for my turnigy 9x and i want to use telemetry as well, what board do you guys recommend? i have Er9x

thanks,
Pat.
Patrizio_g is offline Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g View Post
Hi guys, i want to get a better screen and a better board for my turnigy 9x and i want to use telemetry as well, what board do you guys recommend? i have Er9x

thanks,
Pat.
I do not know about the telementry but you cannot upgrade the screen. The screen is attached with the thinest ribbon cable possible and I could not reattach it on my (already broken) 9X.

I don't know why you want to replace the screen as it is a realitively good screen. And before you say it, the chip is not powerful enough to drive a touch screen.

Darcy
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond