HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
i have a $1000 futaba and a $300 spektrum. the "feel" is actually the same if not better. although 9x is not my favorite radio i will say has more actually useful capabilties than either from software and hardware standpoint. what are you doing in this thread anyway? looks like you got stock or relatives in one of the competitor radio companies.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Feel and act nasty. That's pretty specific. :roll eyes:

It works for quite a few folks myself included. I don't buy things based on price. I don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. The middle is where the value is and the 9x is at least middle but I imagine most who actually use them would say it's a little above that.

As I said I purchased 3 and have had ZERO problems with the quality at all. Maybe you just had a bad batch. I doubt it though since sounds like you base things on how much you spend.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
Sorry but your kidding your selves statements like that dave? It still uses the same unreliable hardware such as switches trims, menu buttons etc. I have used a total of three over time & they all feel & act nasty.

It's very much a case of you get what you pay for here. If a more hands on approach is used with the new 9XR (seems like) then there is room to trump the existing one.

I love the fact that in this day & age a hobby is much more affordable for everyone...then we have people who say they can't afford to buy a radio for a few hundred yet have five or more models worth triple that!

I realise that the other firmware/software makes the 9x a much better radio program wise, but thats about all...like I have already said, the hardware still remains.

There is nothing wrong with cheap providing it is good, my son & many a friend use the ORX stuff & it represents fantastic value for money & have proven very reliable.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old May 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
The 9x either flysky, turnigy branding is full of software bugs you can't program dual rates & expo it's one or the other, trim switches stopped giving feedback, dual rate switches in-consistant & menu button's require numerous inputs to be able to function, in one case of the three poor range with the 9 channel receiver. People here & there have added other boards & software to improve it somewhat.

What am I doing here? Well I hope they look to the current radio & improve upon it tenfold...This thread is about the upcoming 9XR that the boys at hobbyking are developing & am interested in an improved transmitter over the current one developed by flysky. I am not the only one who has had or come across these issues the current 9x, there have been lots, when I was looking to add the board & software for my sons one I read lots, in the end I felt it was better going to another radio for him.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old May 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
poor range with the 9 channel receiver.
well... i guess that makes your level of expertise on this radio pretty clear. possibly youve never even seen one let alone owned one. there is no flysky 9ch rx or tx and never was.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:24 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
well... i guess that makes your level of expertise on this radio pretty clear. possibly youve never even seen one let alone owned one. there is no flysky 9ch rx or tx and never was.
Umm what? Flysky not frysky are indeed the manufactures.
http://www.flysky-cn.com/eindex.asp
Old May 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
contrary to what some believe the FlySky/iMax/Turnigy/Eurgle 9CH radio never had 9 channels. the fm pcm module which is only way to implement that was vaporware from day one. frsky dont have one either. like i said pretty much sums up your status in this area.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
So who manufactures the transmitter then? Really this thread is about the Upcoming 9XR, I still stand by what I have said about the 9x. Perhaps I meant to say 8 channel receiver confusing it with my optima 9 I use with my Aurora 9....Still I'm sure your well aware what I was referring to.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
well.... i never make typing erors like that.

and i still say this is not going to be any revolutionary new product but just a rehash of the old one with couple bug fixes. probably cheaper to make too if they leave out 99% of the components since they serve no purpose at all. but higher price tag of course.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
I'm only human. The new one is going to be different in many ways I'm lead to believe.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i disagree with you. imo it DOES compete with $400 radios. at least for those that can take advantage of the advanced features. of course there are those who buy a radio simply for its inflated price (mercedes syndrome). in that case it does not compete.

some of those predictions are ridiculous. i say itll be very close to existing model with one or two added ports and maybe mega128 instead of mega64.
Nope, it definitely does not and can not compete with a $400 radio.

And that's coming from a true Turnigy 9x fan here. It's a great radio for it's insanely low price and the features that (do) work out of the box (no pun intended). And sure, people can get more out of it using the (sometimes more robust) custom firmwares, but it's nowhere near as feature-rich, complete and high quality build as the Hitec Aurora 9 just to give an example. Its quite ridiculous to think the Turnigy 9x competes on that very same level.

Yes, Turnigy receivers are mad cheap and reliable, yes you might actually control up to 8 channels with it for many aircraft with limited program mixes before wishing you had the $400 radio that's able to do a lot more instead, but it'll always be within the restraints of the system, with the average build quality and sometimes poor quality control, the minor bugs, non-existing features and non-existing warranty or service. Admitted this can be improved some by doing certain upgrades or mods.

But it also lacks quite a few wistles and bells that modern day radios have, like telemetry, intuitive touch screen interfaces, very extensive program mixes, customizability of just about anything. No, really the Turnigy 9x isn't even close to any of that, despite it's excellent value and purpose.

Heck, I like it enough to buy a new one once it breaks on me and might consider the Turnigy 9xR if it's backwards compatible, but it will never make me sell my Hitec Aurora 9 or Futaba radios that I use on my more expensive (or simply favorite) rc aircraft.

It's simply not good enough and that really has nothing to do with the Mercedes syndrome.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old May 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have (my sons old v2)...& until you use a JR or A9 as I do will know how #@*% the 9x is.

This new radio needs to be vastly better than the current 9X before I could recommend it.
I use JR as well. The JR is a nice, comfortable computer radio that does a lot of things really well. But I certainly don't find the 9x to be #@*%. In fact with Er9x, the 9x radio beats the JR in terms of features. And ease of use isn't that bad either. Stock 9x, yeah it seemed clunky to me.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old May 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Since the radio is completely open, you can change the firmware however you want. Yes it's true that the stock firmware is clunky and doesn't quite cut it compared to the nicer "$400 radio." But with Er9x, the Turnigy 9x absolutely compares to a $400 radio. I fly the JR 7202, which is near identical with the Spektrum DX7 except for glider/sailplane mode.

Very few Turnigy 9x people fly the stock firmware, and it's the tinkerers who have been using Er9x that are most excited for the 9XR. I hope the stock firmware for the 9XR is much improved, obviously, but I really don't care if it targets the advanced $400 radio users or not, provided it's very easy to flash the more advanced firmwares, making it compete with the "$400 radio."

Quote:
And that's coming from a true Turnigy 9x fan here. It's a great radio for it's insanely low price and the features that (do) work out of the box (no pun intended). And sure, people can get more out of it using the (sometimes more robust) custom firmwares, but it's nowhere near as feature-rich, complete and high quality build as the Hitec Aurora 9 just to give an example. Its quite ridiculous to think the Turnigy 9x competes on that very same level.
With stock firmware yes I agree with you. With Er9x, the 9X exceeds the Aurora 9 in capabilities.
Quote:
Yes, Turnigy receivers are mad cheap and reliable, yes you might actually control up to 8 channels with it for many aircraft with limited program mixes before wishing you had the $400 radio that's able to do a lot more instead, but it'll always be within the restraints of the system, with the average build quality and sometimes poor quality control, the minor bugs, non-existing features and non-existing warranty or service. Admitted this can be improved some by doing certain upgrades or mods.

But it also lacks quite a few wistles and bells that modern day radios have, like telemetry, intuitive touch screen interfaces, very extensive program mixes, customizability of just about anything. No, really the Turnigy 9x isn't even close to any of that, despite it's excellent value and purpose.
Yes the native FlySky 2.4 GHz system is limited. Again, just as most 9X users don't use the stock firmware, most serious 9X users (like the rcmodelreviews guy) use FrSky's radio system. The 9XR will likely be an FrSky radio system, which has telemetry. As for touch screens, I don't see the utility. A nice button interface is easier to use while in flight. But that's just me.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old May 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
In fact with Er9x, the 9x radio beats the JR in terms of features. And ease of use isn't that bad either. Stock 9x, yeah it seemed clunky to me.
Absolutely. Those who claim the 9x "cannot compete with $500" radios have certainly never tried it with ER9x, or with FrSky telemetry, or with the ER9x telemetry build...

I've never used (or seen in the flesh) the really upper-end $2K+ radios, so I don't have any real notion of what they're like, but the A9 and DX8 are both blown away in terms of features by 9x+ER9x+FrSky.

There are plenty of people who're not using that combo because it's the cheapest, but because it's the most highly technical and customisable. The fact that it costs say a fifth, and that addtional full-range receivers are twenty bucks - that's just icing on the cake.

It's not for beginners, unless they're highly technical, but by the same token many of the most technical users are ignoring everything but the 9x with custom firmware, and that's no accident.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
I'm an Aurora 9 user. I've never used one of the 9X radios, but I've watched numerous ER9X videos, read the manual, and experimented quite a bit with the simulator portion of EEPE. The ER9X firmware is definitely more powerful than the A9's. Some things are a bit more tedious, but there are many things you can do that simply can't be done on the A9. Plus, they keep adding more features.

It's clear that it's the software that makes the radio special. That's not to say the hardware isn't important. Based on what I've read, the quality could use a little attention, and a partnership with FrSky would probably be a good idea. But more than anything else, the 9XR should allow for easy reprogramming without any hardware mods. They need to be smart enough to let all the other talented people out there improve their product.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old May 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post

Heck, I like it enough to buy a new one once it breaks on me and might consider the Turnigy 9xR if it's backwards compatible, but it will never make me sell my Hitec Aurora 9 or Futaba radios that I use on my more expensive (or simply favorite) rc aircraft.

It's simply not good enough and that really has nothing to do with the Mercedes syndrome.
Wow... Please try someones unit that has ER9X.... Then post back.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails