HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Are you the type to put shiny chrome rims on your car? If so then maybe you would consider it an upgrade.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
I see a lot of the radios out there with the same type of look. Chrome on part of the face. I know Spektrum does it on their upper end models. Futaba too.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I see a lot of the radios out there with the same type of look. Chrome on part of the face. I know Spektrum does it on their upper end models. Futaba too.
It looks like crap the first time you lay a finger on it though so I have mixed feelings. Metal is nice and durable, but chrome you just see all the dirt, grime and fingerprints.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,618 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. Just that I haven't heard too much backlash about the chrome on the more expensive radios. Seems it's something that's prevalent in the industry. However, on this $50 radio...I already heard a few voice their opinion about the use of chrome. Definitely in the realm of, can't please everyone.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I understand where you're coming from. Just that I haven't heard too much backlash about the chrome on the more expensive radios. Seems it's something that's prevalent in the industry. However, on this $50 radio...I already heard a few voice their opinion about the use of chrome. Definitely in the realm of, can't please everyone.
It's paint though not real chrome (or at least that's what it looks like). So it's probably only a matter of time till it starts wearing off and looks real ugly.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
just counted and ive got 8 trannys here of which im actively using 3. be so nice to have just one (possibly with one identical as a spare!).
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
I read some angst towards FPV in between the lines... rolleyes right back at ya!
Not at all. I have made several flights on a friends FPV setup which I did find intriguing, and may have a dabble with my own gear next year if time allows. However, no pilot i've ever met (FPV or LOS) has been asking for extra sticks on the back of the TX. Those that do fly FPV seem to use a head tracker or simple TX mix if they have pan/tilt on their camera, both of which will give a more natural, realistic experience than your third stick ever would (it also increases pilot workload unnecessarily).

Quote:
Also, to both of you, the RC-hobby is moving toward FPV whether you like it or not.
I don't disagree to a point, but right now FPV is still the upstart in terms of % uptake/RC spend - 95%+ of new radios will be used exclusively for LOS flying. If you're HK which market would you prioritise? Here's a clue; they are not a charity operating solely for your benefit...

Quote:
Telemetry in my book is a recipe for disaster as most RC-fliers don't even know what RFI is and don't do proper range checks.
Ok, so it's a bad idea I can check my RX voltage before I make a flight? Having an alarm ping when my range is at the limit of my TX or my battery reaches 20% capacity is a needless distraction? What do you think your OSD is if not telemetry - black magic?

Of course none of that replaces good prep and pre-flight checks, but come on - it all helps improve safety and the overall flying experience. Ditching the telemetry so many people have been eager to buy (and has driven revenues for RC manufacturers) and replacing it with a third stick on the back of the TX with an established market of 2 would be a crazy strategy for a mass market product.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Any FlySky modules available?

I'm interested not just for the 9XR, but also for the 9x. I've got my home-made one with the antenna taken out of the 9x and attached, but I wouldn't mind having a better-made one.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,102 Posts
Have you looked in the Radio FS Classifieds?

Hmmm. Looks like there's one for sale.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767216

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
I think I might just wait a little longer and get the 9XRS hardware refresh net year.
thekesh is offline Find More Posts by thekesh
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
X12D will be just around the corner at about the time the 9XRS comes out, so you'll find yourself waiting even longer.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
X12D will be just around the corner at about the time the 9XRS comes out, so you'll find yourself waiting even longer.
There's always a better Tx just around the corner!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Not at all. I have made several flights on a friends FPV setup which I did find intriguing, and may have a dabble with my own gear next year if time allows. However, no pilot i've ever met (FPV or LOS) has been asking for extra sticks on the back of the TX. Those that do fly FPV seem to use a head tracker or simple TX mix if they have pan/tilt on their camera, both of which will give a more natural, realistic experience than your third stick ever would (it also increases pilot workload unnecessarily).
Well let's just say I disagree. I've flown with all those methods and the best is IMO an extra stick, it's also the most relaxing method. Have you tried any of these methods otherwise you're just guessing. With HT you quite often have to re-center which does take away quite a bit of the immersion. Mixing, well to mix let's say pan with rudder does make it really hard if you like to look another way. Without an extra stick I move the camera using pots or pre-defined positions using a 3-pos switch. Another tiny stick would make this a whole lot less taxing, contrary to your post.

Quote:
I don't disagree to a point, but right now FPV is still the upstart in terms of % uptake/RC spend - 95%+ of new radios will be used exclusively for LOS flying. If you're HK which market would you prioritise? Here's a clue; they are not a charity operating solely for your benefit...
Why would they make something solely for me, have I written that? You are indeed trolling you know that? Well I guess I can agree that this radio isn't the best one for this, it's after all a budget solution with the cheapest parts made with as little quality as possible to get it on the market, as most products are these days. I'll probably buy one anyway and make the mods.

Quote:
Ok, so it's a bad idea I can check my RX voltage before I make a flight? Having an alarm ping when my range is at the limit of my TX or my battery reaches 20% capacity is a needless distraction? What do you think your OSD is if not telemetry - black magic?
My OSD is not in any way a telemetry system. by itself. It is in combination with a video transmitter. Anyway any serious FPVer must make proper rangechecks otherwise they won't get off the ground. Also most FPVers does now a little bit about RFI. The problem with transceivers is that they add a transmitting device in a small space.

Quote:
Of course none of that replaces good prep and pre-flight checks, but come on - it all helps improve safety and the overall flying experience. Ditching the telemetry so many people have been eager to buy (and has driven revenues for RC manufacturers) and replacing it with a third stick on the back of the TX with an established market of 2 would be a crazy strategy for a mass market product.
Other then the telemetry system adding safety I do agree with you, this is prob the wrong product for that.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:54 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Well let's just say I disagree. I've flown with all those methods and the best is IMO an extra stick, it's also the most relaxing method.
Well as you said, "in your opinion"... and it seems not many are sharing it
I don't see myself actuating 2 sticks at the same time with the same hand precisely. And I like smooth camera movements, not jerky ones
One thing I'd consider is a switch that when engaged "locks" the current throttle/rudder position, and remaps the left stick to control camera. That would do it, because there's only one thing to actuate with the hand. Haven't tried it, as to me this is the situation where I'd use a head tracker. Not a cr*ppy one that drifts like crazy though

Quote:
The problem with transceivers is that they add a transmitting device in a small space.
But it's not a problem, as the thing that suffers most from onboard transmitters is the R/C receiver. But a telemetry receiver doesn't affect itself as it never sends and receive at the same time.
I have 6 FPV models that I was flying on 35MHz and converted to FrSky telemetry during this year, not a single one has shown any problem. It's the opposite, I've finally said goodbye to situations where the exact same setup would fly to 2km one day, and give up on me at 300m the next day. Telemetry is a great addition to know if something's not right. A ground range check is a start, tells you if you can fly or not. If you can, than thanks to it you'll then have a much finer feeling of how things go in flight. Just like video where you like it to become noisy progressively instead of just cutting for good at some point, remote RSSI beep frequency/intensity gives you that same scale.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
would you mind taking the discussions on a 3rd stick to another thread please, so we can focus on the 9XR. I've been rc ing for 15 years and still trying to master 2.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800